Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Damn! Impressive. I’ve been on them for a couple of seasons, and while they aren’t as tough as BD’s, I’d be surprised too. Good lick with your claim, hope they take good care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Well just got a week of hut skiing and broke in my Free Pro 2.0s.

Sadly it didn't go so well for me. This was day 3 at Battle Abbey. Temps were moderate for there at -10c and this happened doing nothing unusual. just pulled skins from pack, grabbed tip and tail to separate and.......RIP
    Just put in a warranty claim via EVO and will report back how its handled.

Other than tearing in half, was very happy with glue, grip, and glide.

Attachment 403154

Unf*ckin acceptable! I have never seen nor heard about something like this happening. Hardware fail. Yes. Glue fail. Possibly. Skin tear in half. BS.
    Seems like Pomoca needs to have a rethink about what quality means.

Were you able to salvage the trip and patch the skins back together?

Terrible. Sorry to hear it. Maybe you can sell to somebody who tours on blades?

Not having used them before i hedged and brought some old ascensions that were cut for my beater pair of 120s. i used those for the remainder of the trip but gotta give props to the pomoca glue. My on hill remedy was simply to overlap the torn section by ~2" and adjust the tail clip. it held together flawlessly for the remainder of the day and ~6,000 of climbing. If they weren't so brand spanking new there likely would have been some MacGyvering with a voile strap or two.

Bummer Slackey, good work on the salvage.

One of the plastic tip bail cover pieces fell off my 2.0's on day #3, breaking trail during the uber deep days. Didn't lose the bail and one wrap of tape was a good fix. No complaints with grip/glide but durability sounds like an issue.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I just got a pair of Raven 4-locks with these and I have Dynafit speedskins on my beast skis.

The Speedskins glide better by a long shot, grip seems about the same (a little better on the Free Pro 2.0). Still both glide way better than BD nylons obviously. I think I like the Speedskins better. The Free Pro 2.0 feel pretty fragile.

That is an impressive failure and it might be fixable if they won't warranty

IMO they ( the skin makers ) have been making skins/ skin hardware more and more minimalist to the point where this stuff is starting to fail more often,
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-28-2022 at 02:33 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well just got a week of hut skiing and broke in my Free Pro 2.0s.

Sadly it didn't go so well for me. This was day 3 at Battle Abbey. Temps were moderate for there at -10c and this happened doing nothing unusual. just pulled skins from pack, grabbed tip and tail to separate and.......RIP
    Just put in a warranty claim via EVO and will report back how its handled.

Other than tearing in half, was very happy with glue, grip, and glide.

Attachment 403154
    Too perfect of a cut for it to not be a mfg flaw. I bet it was an unlucky cut over a splice between rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I just got a pair of Raven 4-locks with these and I have Dynafit speedskins on my beast skis.

The Speedskins glide better by a long shot, grip seems about the same (a little better on the Free Pro 2.0). Still both glide way better than BD nylons obviously. I think I like the Speedskins better. The Free Pro 2.0 feel pretty fragile.
    speedskins glide better by a long shot compared to Pom's? .. I hadn't really looked at the speedskins, but poked around after your post. dynafit site says speedskins were designed by pomoca, and they look to be quite a bit heavier than free pro's if I'm reading the sites correctly. Do you notice them being burlier or what other distinctions can you share? I like my pom's so far, but always chasing the unicorn skin.
    north bound horse.

Wow- they seem flimsy- but that’s just crazy!!!

I’ve got 3 pairs of free 2.0 with no issues.....but they are definitely flimsy....

FYI- skied with a friend with free 1. Same traction/ weight as free 2 but his glide crushed me. Flat approach, I took 2-3 steps for each of his 1...

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    speedskins glide better by a long shot compared to Pom's? .. I hadn't really looked at the speedskins, but poked around after your post. dynafit site says speedskins were designed by pomoca, and they look to be quite a bit heavier than free pro's if I'm reading the sites correctly. Do you notice them being burlier or what other distinctions can you share? I like my pom's so far, but always chasing the unicorn skin.
    Yeah I can't quite figure out what the Speedskin combo is because the only reference I have are the Free Pro 2.0's, but they are definitely stiffer and beefier, but the hair on the bottom seems shorter and less "fluffy". They are thicker but seem more durable and I think they already pack pretty darn well.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah I can't quite figure out what the Speedskin combo is because the only reference I have are the Free Pro 2.0's, but they are definitely stiffer and beefier, but the hair on the bottom seems shorter and less "fluffy". They are thicker but seem more durable and I think they already pack pretty darn well.
    Interesting thanks, I'll put them on the radar for when I need something new.
    north bound horse.

That failure is due to the layer of plush being applied to the end of a roll of backing+glue and the start of another during production. Ending up with one of these is bad luck. I've had it happen on a pair of Contours, the seam was actually detectable by feel. It wore fast and I ripped the skin in half pulling it off the ski on a warm day. Pomoca should definitely warranty it, it's a known weak spot. Bad luck you ended up with it.

All of you who manage to break Pomoca hardware, especially the tip, must be real savages. I just retired a pair of Climb 2.0 after 4 seasons and probably 250 days due to loss of grip and finally breaking a tail clip (by slamming the ski straight down into rocks). The tip rattles a bit and isn't as quiet as it could be but I've found the hardware to be near indestructible. I'm not kind to my gear either...
    Last edited by Boissal; 02-01-2022 at 04:24 PM. Reason: improper Engrish
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I think it depends what your ski tip looks like. I have a ski with a kind of angular tip shape and I end up bending the tip bar when ripping sometimes, doesn't happen with other skis.

Probably also depends on the number of shoulder presses you routinely do. 0 in my case which explains why I can't fathom bending that bar while ripping skins. I can barely bend it by hand. Not going to complain that my skins are too hard to break though...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Dumb question, but double-checking before I press play on a non-refundable purchase. For 190s @ 134-102-125, I'd need the Free Pro 2.0 in XL 140? https://www.pomoca.com/skins/028-free-pro-2-0

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Dumb question, but double-checking before I press play on a non-refundable purchase. For 190s @ 134-102-125, I'd need the Free Pro 2.0 in XL 140? https://www.pomoca.com/skins/028-free-pro-2-0
    IMO: You could go 140 or 125. 140 will give you maximum coverage, the 125 would be like 97% of that, when you factor that the widest part of tip and tail are likely rockered and not in contact with the snow - so not as necessary to have edge-to-edge coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    IMO: You could go 140 or 125. 140 will give you maximum coverage, the 125 would be like 97% of that, when you factor that the widest part of tip and tail are likely rockered and not in contact with the snow - so not as necessary to have edge-to-edge coverage.
    Right. Thanks. Glad I asked.

Any updates on free 2.0’s? Holding up? Shit grip? Shit glide?

I did last season on the Pro S Glides. The tip and tail attachments aren’t as easy to use, as solid (the tails seem more like kids toys than professional equipment) or as snow proof as G3s, but they’re adequate. The balance of grip and glide was the best I’ve experienced. Perfection. The glue seemed fine, handling big days lapping pow in cold temps, until it wasn’t. By the end of the season it was leaving glue residue on my bases. My warranty experience with Dynafit/Salewa USA was a long and painful ordeal, but I got them replaced by Fall. I initially thought I’d sell them and go back to G3s, but then I needed some skins, so I cut them to my skis and am trying again. If I trusted they were going to last more than a season I’d replace the tail attachments with G3s.

I watched my buddy rip a BMT skin in half last month removing it from the ski but it is or was light
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Using the Pomona tool I ended up cutting the free pro a bit too wide. The skins are just between the edges. I have to be way too careful when when I put the skins on the skis. Is there a way to shave 1mm from both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Using the Pomona tool I ended up cutting the free pro a bit too wide. The skins are just between the edges. I have to be way too careful when when I put the skins on the skis. Is there a way to shave 1mm from both sides?
    Fresh razor blade or Xacto knife, way more precise than the cutters the skin companies include