Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 70 of 70
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    1,387
    Damn! Impressive. Iíve been on them for a couple of seasons, and while they arenít as tough as BDís, Iíd be surprised too. Good lick with your claim, hope they take good care of you.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washcycleton
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Well just got a week of hut skiing and broke in my Free Pro 2.0s.

    Sadly it didn't go so well for me. This was day 3 at Battle Abbey. Temps were moderate for there at -10c and this happened doing nothing unusual. just pulled skins from pack, grabbed tip and tail to separate and.......RIP
    Just put in a warranty claim via EVO and will report back how its handled.

    Other than tearing in half, was very happy with glue, grip, and glide.

    Attachment 403154


    Unf*ckin acceptable! I have never seen nor heard about something like this happening. Hardware fail. Yes. Glue fail. Possibly. Skin tear in half. BS.
    Seems like Pomoca needs to have a rethink about what quality means.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,419
    Were you able to salvage the trip and patch the skins back together?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Terrible. Sorry to hear it. Maybe you can sell to somebody who tours on blades?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,550
    Not having used them before i hedged and brought some old ascensions that were cut for my beater pair of 120s. i used those for the remainder of the trip but gotta give props to the pomoca glue. My on hill remedy was simply to overlap the torn section by ~2" and adjust the tail clip. it held together flawlessly for the remainder of the day and ~6,000 of climbing. If they weren't so brand spanking new there likely would have been some MacGyvering with a voile strap or two.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    6,305
    Bummer Slackey, good work on the salvage.

    One of the plastic tip bail cover pieces fell off my 2.0's on day #3, breaking trail during the uber deep days. Didn't lose the bail and one wrap of tape was a good fix. No complaints with grip/glide but durability sounds like an issue.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,816
    I just got a pair of Raven 4-locks with these and I have Dynafit speedskins on my beast skis.


    The Speedskins glide better by a long shot, grip seems about the same (a little better on the Free Pro 2.0). Still both glide way better than BD nylons obviously. I think I like the Speedskins better. The Free Pro 2.0 feel pretty fragile.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    26,598
    That is an impressive failure and it might be fixable if they won't warranty

    IMO they ( the skin makers ) have been making skins/ skin hardware more and more minimalist to the point where this stuff is starting to fail more often,
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-28-2022 at 01:33 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Well just got a week of hut skiing and broke in my Free Pro 2.0s.

    Sadly it didn't go so well for me. This was day 3 at Battle Abbey. Temps were moderate for there at -10c and this happened doing nothing unusual. just pulled skins from pack, grabbed tip and tail to separate and.......RIP
    Just put in a warranty claim via EVO and will report back how its handled.

    Other than tearing in half, was very happy with glue, grip, and glide.

    Attachment 403154
    Too perfect of a cut for it to not be a mfg flaw. I bet it was an unlucky cut over a splice between rolls.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I just got a pair of Raven 4-locks with these and I have Dynafit speedskins on my beast skis.


    The Speedskins glide better by a long shot, grip seems about the same (a little better on the Free Pro 2.0). Still both glide way better than BD nylons obviously. I think I like the Speedskins better. The Free Pro 2.0 feel pretty fragile.
    speedskins glide better by a long shot compared to Pom's? .. I hadn't really looked at the speedskins, but poked around after your post. dynafit site says speedskins were designed by pomoca, and they look to be quite a bit heavier than free pro's if I'm reading the sites correctly. Do you notice them being burlier or what other distinctions can you share? I like my pom's so far, but always chasing the unicorn skin.
    north bound horse.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    2,003
    Wow- they seem flimsy- but thatís just crazy!!!


    Iíve got 3 pairs of free 2.0 with no issues.....but they are definitely flimsy....

  12. #62
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    2,003
    FYI- skied with a friend with free 1. Same traction/ weight as free 2 but his glide crushed me. Flat approach, I took 2-3 steps for each of his 1...

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    speedskins glide better by a long shot compared to Pom's? .. I hadn't really looked at the speedskins, but poked around after your post. dynafit site says speedskins were designed by pomoca, and they look to be quite a bit heavier than free pro's if I'm reading the sites correctly. Do you notice them being burlier or what other distinctions can you share? I like my pom's so far, but always chasing the unicorn skin.
    Yeah I can't quite figure out what the Speedskin combo is because the only reference I have are the Free Pro 2.0's, but they are definitely stiffer and beefier, but the hair on the bottom seems shorter and less "fluffy". They are thicker but seem more durable and I think they already pack pretty darn well.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah I can't quite figure out what the Speedskin combo is because the only reference I have are the Free Pro 2.0's, but they are definitely stiffer and beefier, but the hair on the bottom seems shorter and less "fluffy". They are thicker but seem more durable and I think they already pack pretty darn well.
    Interesting thanks, I'll put them on the radar for when I need something new.
    north bound horse.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    3,278
    That failure is due to the layer of plush being applied to the end of a roll of backing+glue and the start of another during production. Ending up with one of these is bad luck. I've had it happen on a pair of Contours, the seam was actually detectable by feel. It wore fast and I ripped the skin in half pulling it off the ski on a warm day. Pomoca should definitely warranty it, it's a known weak spot. Bad luck you ended up with it.

    All of you who manage to break Pomoca hardware, especially the tip, must be real savages. I just retired a pair of Climb 2.0 after 4 seasons and probably 250 days due to loss of grip and finally breaking a tail clip (by slamming the ski straight down into rocks). The tip rattles a bit and isn't as quiet as it could be but I've found the hardware to be near indestructible. I'm not kind to my gear either...
    Last edited by Boissal; 02-01-2022 at 03:24 PM. Reason: improper Engrish
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,419
    I think it depends what your ski tip looks like. I have a ski with a kind of angular tip shape and I end up bending the tip bar when ripping sometimes, doesn't happen with other skis.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SLC burbs
    Posts
    3,278
    Probably also depends on the number of shoulder presses you routinely do. 0 in my case which explains why I can't fathom bending that bar while ripping skins. I can barely bend it by hand. Not going to complain that my skins are too hard to break though...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    840
    Dumb question, but double-checking before I press play on a non-refundable purchase. For 190s @ 134-102-125, I'd need the Free Pro 2.0 in XL 140? https://www.pomoca.com/skins/028-free-pro-2-0

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Dumb question, but double-checking before I press play on a non-refundable purchase. For 190s @ 134-102-125, I'd need the Free Pro 2.0 in XL 140? https://www.pomoca.com/skins/028-free-pro-2-0
    IMO: You could go 140 or 125. 140 will give you maximum coverage, the 125 would be like 97% of that, when you factor that the widest part of tip and tail are likely rockered and not in contact with the snow - so not as necessary to have edge-to-edge coverage.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    IMO: You could go 140 or 125. 140 will give you maximum coverage, the 125 would be like 97% of that, when you factor that the widest part of tip and tail are likely rockered and not in contact with the snow - so not as necessary to have edge-to-edge coverage.
    Right. Thanks. Glad I asked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •