Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dynafit Hoji heel fitting alignment?

Recently picked up some Dynafit Hoji boots, and as I was adjustment my bindings to them noticed that the heel fitting on the left boot is way out of alignment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211108_183739 (1).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	392064

I have confirmed that it is the boot, and not the mount. This particular boot is misaligned on multiple mounts on multiple pairs of skis, while the right boot lines up just fine.

If I step in with enough force, I am able to click into the binding.

Is this a safety concern? I am not sure if once I am in the pins, it is fine. And if it is a concern, is there anything I can do to remedy it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211108_183739.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	392063  

Doubt it’s the boot- most likely the mount. Toe is mounted a degree or two out. You can’t ski like that. The Binding will prerelease constantly....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Doubt it’s the boot- most likely the mount. Toe or heal is mounted a degree or two out. You can’t ski like that. The Binding will prerelease constantly....
    The left boot is misaligned on both the left and right ski.

The right boot is aligned properly on both the left and right ski.

Therefore, it has to be the boot... strange, I know.

Hmmm that is interesting. As the previous owner (unless you picked up another pair of hojis in the past few weeks...) I never noticed that on any of my skis. Although from your description of trying multiple mounts I guess it had to have been there. All the ligaments in my left leg are still attached and I did ski hard for a few days in them so you'll probably be ok but I am very curious what the collective has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Hmmm that is interesting. As the previous owner (unless you picked up another pair of hojis in the past few weeks...) I never noticed that on any of my skis. Although from your description of trying multiple mounts I guess it had to have been there. All the ligaments in my left leg are still attached and I did ski hard for a few days in them so you'll probably be ok but I am very curious what the collective has to say.
    Yes, these are yours. I agree it is really weird. Never seen it before

That is a long way out of whack, I am betting its something to do with the pin sockets in the front of boot if the other boot is ok in the binding

I would try for warranty from Dynafit

edit: looks like they are used so duno if that will work
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Question: on the multiple mounts, were they done using the same jig?

If not than as XXX-er called out, its most likely an issue due to the toe pin positions.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211108_191802.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	392076

Different ski/binding, same issue.

And no, the mounts were not done at the same shop even.

@davjr96, you mentioned that you had the left boot punched. Could that be throwing things out of alignment somehow?

When I engage the boot in the binding, it doesn't feel like there is any force pushing the boot sideways. But it is hard to say, I guess a little bit of force could lead to prereleases...

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post

@davjr96, you mentioned that you had the left boot punched. Could that be throwing things out of alignment somehow?
    Will let everyone else chime in if that is possible, I'm not knowledgable enough about how it works to say for certain. For what its worth they were done at a pretty reputable shop in tahoe.

It would make sense though I guess, slight punch on the left outside with the speednose could maybe adjust the angle of the fitting? The punch was way further back though.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    When I engage the boot in the binding, it doesn't feel like there is any force pushing the boot sideways. But it is hard to say, I guess a little bit of force could lead to prereleases...
    Actually, check that. When I engage the left boot in the binding, and then apply force to the right and let go, the binding does not seem to rotate all the way back to its original position. I would assume this is from the pressure of the pins being out of alignment.

Guessing this is unsafe.

Just a thought? If it is not the punch issue these guys identified Is it possible there is a wear issue on the pin inserts on the left boot?

I've owned a pair of boots that exhibited this problem, and yes there's the potential for pre releasing, because you're spreading the toe pins when the boot is rotated.

I never did diagnose whether the problem was at the heel or toe fittings, and since I aligned the right ski with the right boot (and left with left), it was no problem. I never reverse left and right skis, since I run a slightly lower lateral release value on my left ski.

Swapping boots (L/R) would put the heel pins about 3 or 4mm out of alignment - about the same as what you show in your photo with the Plums (perhaps slightly less).

My boots were never punched.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

maybe 10 yrs ago I remember reading about some models of scarpa's that had the mis-aligned pins

if the pins are misaligned the boot will always be part way to release

but if its as a result of a punch as opposed to mfger defect you are facked

The punch was in the 6th toe area, theoretically it could have affected it, but I would be really surprised if it did. Strange all around.

Is the general consensus that they are unsafe to ski? Should I take them out at the resort for a test run and see?

Duno, the tech binding releases first out of the heel pins and then lastly camming out of the front pins so if yer part way out already its not real good, see if you get a lot of toe piece releases

if you are 100% sure its the boot what you might do is check to see if one ski is closer to normal that the other

undo the screws in that toepiece ( Plum ? ) twist the toe piece clockwise to make it more straight and tighten the screws, the screws normaly center the toe piece when you tighten the screws but you might pickup a degree or two of slop, this works with any tech binding btw

you could also elongate the screw holes in the binding but you may not wana do that

now always use the same ski on that boot and it should be > how it is now

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Duno, the tech binding releases first out of the heel pins and then lastly camming out of the front pins so if yer part way out already its not real good, see if you get a lot of toe piece releases

if you are 100% sure its the boot what you might do is check to see if one ski is closer to normal that the other

undo the screws in that toepiece ( Plum ? ) twist the toe piece clockwise to make it more straight and tighten the screws, the screws normaly center the toe piece when you tighten the screws but you might pickup a degree or two of slop, this works with any tech binding btw

you could also elongate the screw holes in the binding but you may not wana do that

now always use the same ski on that boot and it should be > how it is now
    Thanks, I will try that later.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    It would make sense though I guess, slight punch on the left outside with the speednose could maybe adjust the angle of the fitting? The punch was way further back though.
    I just noticed this ^^ not just a punch but a speednose getting a punch between owners and then the alignment issue shows up is VERY suspicious

i'm not much of a speednose fan but especially putting a speed nose on a freeride boot like the Hoji

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just noticed this ^^ not just a punch but a speednose getting a punch between owners and then the alignment issue shows up is VERY suspicious

i'm not much of a speednose fan but especially putting a speed nose on a freeride boot like the Hoji
    Ya, it seems like it has to have been related to the punch in one way or another. I'll see if I can minimize it by messing with the toe piece.

If the alignment is better, but still slightly off, is it still a no go to ski? Feels like a tough thing to test, prereleases always seem to happen at the worst possible time.

I don’t think it would hurt to contact Dynafit and just see. Worst they say is pound sand but it could be an issue they may be able to workout with you.

Can you simply measure the heel on the L and R boot and confirm or rule out that it is centred?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Props to davjr96 for being a stand up guy. Refunded me and I am going to send them back. Thanks for the help everybody, just don't feel great skiing these as is.

For interested parties I received the boots back today (thanks to dub2 for getting it was an honest mistake and I am not a scammer mastermind) and confirmed the issue appears on all 4 individual skis with tech bindings I own. While digging through dates/pics and thinking about it, I realized I had not skied these boots since the punch. Going to take em into the shop that did the punch and see what they say but realize I might just have to chalk this up to a lesson learned about speed nose. That's what I get for buying boots that don't actually fit my feet because it was a mid season sale

My Hoji Pros are a bit warped after a substantial amount of punching. I haven’t had any issues with pre-releasing but I realize it could be a problem.

I've had a bootfitter (GregL I think) say that when doing work on boots like the Backland, where you bake the whole shell, that the overall shape of the boot can warp if you're not careful. So it could've been the bootfitting work you had done. But I've heard about this happening at the factory, too. Probably good that you're not skiing on them; I wouldn't.

Its not uncommon for that to happen after bootwork, as previously mentioned. The better shops are aware that this can happen and take steps to avoid it from happening when they work on a boot. It can happen with any boot, but lighter/thinner boots are more susceptible.

I've skied misalignments of similar deltas before and never had an issue, but the misalignment was with the mount not the boot. Probably depends on the binding some... How much of the total release force is already engaged at that delta in the rotation.