Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My Retirement Year: An Ongoing Skiing TR

You can read this...or not. It's pretty self-serving but I figured this was as good a place as any to try to document the upcoming season. I'm old and have never portrayed myself on here as anything but.

After serving in the US Army for 20 years and then doing another 20 for the US Government, I finally was able to retire in late September. I have several goals for this ski season: 100 days which seems easy for someone that doesn't have to work and has a house that is walking distance to a ski lift; break the current record for Indy Pass days (31 according to Doug Fish); stay married.

There's lots of obstacles to all 3 goals:

• Despite being able to walk to the lifts at Magic Mountain in Londonderry, VT, that place is only open about 60 days per year; some of those days really aren't worth skiing. But when it's on, it's pretty damn great.

• Because Magic is an Indy Pass area, my days there won't count toward the record (I have to use my pass). In the east, there are only 14 other areas in the Northeast that I may get to. This means I'll have to travel...and travel I will. Goniff and I have rented a condo in Driggs, ID for a month (late February to late March). Definitely going to use the Indy pass at Snow King and any of the Idaho resorts that are within striking distance of Driggs (I need to visit friends in Boise...)

• This will test the last goal to be sure since Mrs. MNIAW has to stay home with her dog. To placate her, I'm taking her to Maui for 10 days in early January. This may help with goal #3 but it will have an impact on goals 1 & 2 for sure.

Soooo....

Day 1: Met Vt-Freeheel at Killington on 11/8/2021. 'Twas cold in the valleys but the air was definitely inverted and by the time we linked up in the parking lot it was nearly 50 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind. We've had some really shitty opening days at Killington, this wasn't one of those.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Killington 11-8-2021 D.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	392052
    We were able to ski down to North Ridge but had to walk back up to the K-1 Terminus...Pretty easy when the weather was this nice.

We got in a ton of runs. After the KMS kids had to go back to class, it was ski on to the lift every run.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Killington 11-8-2021 C.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	392053
    Legs were a bit stiff but no major complaints. Day 2 upcoming when Killington offers free skiing to Vets on 11/11.

Congrats! Enjoy yourself

I will live vicariously through you this winter!

Stokeworthy!

That’s awesome. I had the record for most days on an Indy Pass at one point (briefly) but I think I finished the first season either tied or behind by one day. I don’t remember. Looking forward to future installments here.

It is a lofty goal, but go for it! It depends how much driving you want to do, but 3 hrs to Maverick, 2-2 1/2 hrs. to Pebble or Big Sky and 20 minutes Targhee. That seems like 20-25 good days of skiing. Consider attending the Montana BBI.

20 in. Good for you! Does the Army still require 20 in for the pension to vest?
    Missing 2 weeks in Jan. will surely test your goal. There are only so many skiable days in a season. Strive for 100; be happy with 75.

Good luck
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Congrats on retirement! With your mindset you won't get bored. With your dedication you'll stay healthy

congrats! looking forward to following this

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Congrats! Happy shredding

Awesome to see congratulations all around.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Nice! As long as you can keep Mrs August West happy, I predict great success.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    It is a lofty goal, but go for it! It depends how much driving you want to do, but 3 hrs to Maverick, 2-2 1/2 hrs. to Pebble or Big Sky and 20 minutes Targhee. That seems like 20-25 good days of skiing. Consider attending the Montana BBI.

20 in. Good for you! Does the Army still require 20 in for the pension to vest?
    Missing 2 weeks in Jan. will surely test your goal. There are only so many skiable days in a season. Strive for 100; be happy with 75.

Good luck
    Thnx.

On the Army...they now have what's called the blended retirement system whereby you can retire in less than 20 years but at a greatly reduced pension. They started allowing military to contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan (government 401k equivalent) but no salary matching just before I retired in 2002. That's how some people are doing it. I didn't have that option.

The Montana BBI is definitely going to happen for us.

One of things I meant to discuss in the OP was how I'm affording this on a fixed income. Being retired military has many benefits beyond a pension and super-cheap medical care.
    * Magic has a military/first responder unlimited pass for $299
    * Epic has a mostly unrestricted retired military pass for $135 this year. Only restrictions are I can't use it at Telluride, Sun Valley, or their partner resorts in Europe and Japan. No blackout dates.
    * Killington offers a free Express Card (50% off window rate on weekdays, 25% off on weekends holidays) to veterans
    * I bought a Targhee pass in the Spring for $795 which covers Targhee and also 50% off window rate at Mountain Collective mountains
    * With a Magic Pass, the Indy Pass add-on was only around $150 (I had a credit from last year because I only used 3 days).
    * I'll likely get a Killington Spring Pass for $250 which will cover unlimited days from when I get back from Driggs through Memorial Day. I typically get in about 15 spring days at Killington but this year will likely be many more...I have couches I can surf there. It's about an hour drive from my house at Magic.

Going to get to the Teton Valley area a couple days ahead of when we have the condo...Kokomas has kindly offered a couch to surf and planning to ski at JHMR with him, Djongo, Baby Bear, and any other mags that want to put up with me.

^^^and thanks to all that offered congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    That’s awesome. I had the record for most days on an Indy Pass at one point (briefly) but I think I finished the first season either tied or behind by one day. I don’t remember. Looking forward to future installments here.
    We'll see how it goes. I kept praying that Plattekill was going to be the next place announced...

Congrats!

Last year I got 212 days on my Aspen pass.
    146 skis.
    66 bike.

I was glad to join you on day one and am looking forward to many more this winter culminating with day 1** on Superstar or some chute in the Whites. You've got this!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Wow, some awesome goals there for sure. I will be semi retired this winter and really hope to get 30 days in, but ya, Mammoth is 6 hours from casa L2S. At 100 days, I better own a house up there or the wife would kick me out for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Oh hellz yeah Mag, you're gonna have a great season. We are looking forward to turning with you and Goniff over here beside the Tetons. Bet.

Some good places around here for you to use your pass too...

-Snow King in JH can be fun and they have a brand spanking new ganjala for us to use.
    -Pomerelle's about 5 hours south, In the Mo boonies but sometimes they get duuuumped on.
    -Silver is just south of Sun Valley, also about 5 hours from Metro Driggs.
    -Lost Trail is a few hours away in MT, Local mag littleBIGlost gets up there frequently and could team up witcha, he's a super solid mag who skis most days down at Kelly canyon, about 45 mins from you.
    -Beaver and Powmow are about 4 hrs from ya, down Logan UT way, and has some solid mag regulars too.
    -White Pine is about an hour and a half from JH; and Antelope butte, truly an exotic locale, would be a 5+ hr drive but Maybe WMD outta Lander/Riverton zone would join us there

On the MC, you could hit within 3-5 hrs.: Big sky, Alta/Snowbird, JHMR, and I'd be down to roadtrip down to Aspen if they're getting nailed.

Kokomas' digs are likely fancier but you guys have a place to crash here in town too, if ever you need it.

I'm stoked for you mag... My dad was a career military guy with another almost 20 working at the Pentagon. We'll have lots to yak about.

!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    We'll see how it goes. I kept praying that Plattekill was going to be the next place announced...
    Me too but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Keep an eye out for Friday sales. Maybe he’ll do some $25 for the first 50 skiers again.

Fantastic goal and how fun after the grind. Having spent 10 seasons at Beaver I think you’ll find out why it’s a somewhat hidden gem. Highly recommend.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Hey, what a great goal! Please keep posting how it all works out for you. My retirement is far away, but that is exactly what I want to do - Just Skiing...

Very cool plan - living the dream (or at least MY dream).

If you're driving out to Driggs have you considered stopping along the way to ski some of the Midwest hills on the Indy Pass? That could break up the drive and add to your Indy Pass count.

Though looking at the Indy Pass options, Lutsen is really out of the way, and every day you're skiing a smaller bump in the Midwest is a day you're not skiing something bigger in Idaho. Mt. Bohemia in the U.P. is the one that's most likely worth the tradeoff, but it's not on the Indy Pass.

If you’re taking I90 out west, you’ll be going right by Terry Peak…

http://terrypeak.com

Quote Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
    Very cool plan - living the dream (or at least MY dream).

If you're driving out to Driggs have you considered stopping along the way to ski some of the Midwest hills on the Indy Pass? That could break up the drive and add to your Indy Pass count.

Though looking at the Indy Pass options, Lutsen is really out of the way, and every day you're skiing a smaller bump in the Midwest is a day you're not skiing something bigger in Idaho. Mt. Bohemia in the U.P. is the one that's most likely worth the tradeoff, but it's not on the Indy Pass.
    I am driving but trying to get to Jackson/Wilson/Driggs ASAP. Can't leave before 2/21 (that whole staying married goal) so gonna try to get there in 2.5 days...no real options to stop.

We got plenty of small bumps here in NH, no need to visit any in the midwest. I honed my mad skillz (high school years) at places like Nashoba Valley (MA), Blanchard Hill (MA), Pats Peak (NH), and King Ridge (NH). Learned to ski in my real youth at Northeast Slopes (VT). I totally get the vibe at these places and one of my go-tos this winter will be Crotched (NH).

"We got plenty of small bumps here in NH, no need to visit any in the midwest."

Posted for quote worthiness
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Strong goals. I'll ski hurricane ridge with you if you make it out to the far corner