Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Nice - Real nice....

^ You know CM...he's served you beers at the BLT for sure.

Absolutely pls give him my regards!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Day 87: Sugarbush, VT (IKON pass)

My VT neighbor BH and I headed north to get in a day with VT-F at his home hill. It was still drizzly when we left but not outright pouring (like yesterday) so we were optimistic. We were catching up and I totally missed the turn to stay on 100 so we ended up in Bethel and had to make our way over the eastern spine back to Rochester...minor setback.

Sugarbush doesn't open until 10 on weekdays once DST kicks in; we got there at about 9:45 and booted up. Lots of ice on the trees as we headed up the access road but temps were already hitting 40*.
    Attachment 412460

VT-F was on his way but BH and I got a lap in before he arrived. Stein's is Sugarbush's signature run and it delivered soft snow goodness along with VW bug-sized bumps to play on.
    Attachment 412462

We linked up with VT-F
    Attachment 412463
    and proceeded to lay trenches in the creamy soft corduroy the grooming team had laid down.

Only downside was the top of Lincoln Peak was an icy mess and the Ski Patrol didn't understand that we were the best skiers on the mountain
    Attachment 412464
    We would have gone but they wouldn't let us load that lift...

Tomorrow is Spring Fling at the 'bush and we watched them building the pond skim pool over a beer.
    Attachment 412465

Overall, a fun day and always good to ski with VT-F.

Great time as always skiing with you and BH. Hope we can provide some snow 5/1 for you to slide on, bring your touring setup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220408_150730.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	412843

The final 10!!! Get After It!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just finished run #6 for day 91 at Loon. Full report later

Just finished run #6 for day 91 at Loon. Full report later

Curious, what constitutes a "day"?

1) Put on skis and rode a lift (does skinning count)?
    2) Skied X hours?
    3) X vertical feet?
    4) X number of runs?

I hope to need the textbook MNIAW definition for my own quest for 100 days in the not too distance future. I want to make sure I am in compliance with the rules

Skinning any number of laps counts as a day.

5 lift rides counts as a day.

My Retirement Year: An Ongoing Skiing TR

Day 91: Loon Mtn, NH (Ikon pass)

Drove up from our NH house in the morning; easy drive. Was on the Loon Gondi by 9:45. It’s an old school lift that only carries 4 skiers (and skinny ones at that - the weight limit for each cabin is only 707 lbs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1649806993.439071.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	412941

Loon is huge (by NH standards) when fully open but only about 1/4 of the mountain is still skiable. There were some interesting trails to ski though. Flume, Walking Boss, and Angel Street are the most interesting trails here and all 3 were open but required some technical skiing to get around clear ice floes, dirt, and grass. My favorite type of skiing.

Name:	Image1649806950.963669.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	412940
    Skied these 3 trails 3X each and also lay some trenches on the buttery soft intermediate groomers on the Loon Peak face.

Got a text from my youngest brother who I am staying with informing me that he tested positive for the ‘Rona. Luckily, he has a bedroom in his garage so I could stay there.

On my way to my brother’s house, I stopped at Waterville Valley and visited my dad for 90 minutes or so.

Another fun day of skiing.

Day 92: Loon Mtn,NH (Ikon pass)

Had to get Mrs. MNIAW to the Boston area this afternoon for a new regimen at Dana Farber tomorrow so I was on the Gondi at Loon right at 9:00 this morning. No change in the trails open and everything was pretty soft from the start.

Skied 10 runs (T2B) in under 2 hours but still took the time to snap a few pics of the big mountains around here.

George

Name:	Image1649888714.585272.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	413025

Lafayette Ridge (across the notch from Cannon)

Name:	Image1649888766.039328.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	381.7 KB 
ID:	413026

A pic of the biggest chairlift in the east (Kancamagus 8) with the biggest mountain in the NE as a backdrop

Name:	Image1649888842.745880.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	413027

A quick update on Mrs. MNIAW...a lot of folks that are real friends IRL are following this thread and it's easier than sending texts to errybody...

We spent yesterday (4/14) in Boston at Dana Farber so she could start her PRRT regimen...don't ask me what PRRT means but we were told to stay separate through Sunday as she's shedding radioactive isotopes from the treatment. She's feeling pretty good so far and this regimen has minimal and minor side effects.

Since we have to be separate, she's staying in NH and I'm in VT.

Day 93: Stratton, VT (Ikon pass)

Despite most of the mountain being well covered in snow, Stratton was limited to one way down from the top today. Met up with CM and his wife (another favorite bartender) and we skied soft snow over and over again.

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg 
Size:	751.5 KB 
ID:	413310

The views were pretty spectacular today and it was warm and sunny

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	863.6 KB 
ID:	413311

After I had my fill, I headed back to the Casa and worked on cleaning up some work done by an excavator over the winter in the yard. Woke up this good neighbor in the process

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	413312
    Yes, there are a ton of rocks in the soil in my yard. #1 crop in VT and NH.

Tomorrow is the Mini meetup at Killington. Hoping to see a bunch of mags there but we'll have fun regardless....

Day 94: Killington, VT (Ikon pass)

Well, the weather sure didn't want to cooperate...it was a mini mini as it was just Singlecross, Goniff and me.

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	413393
    No, that's not how I spell my name...it's the Norwegian version (I have some Swedish in my mongrel past). SC took a selfie of the 3 of us in the blue bubble and hopefully will post that in the mini thread. Or here.

Saw a familiar sticker in one of the gondi cabins

Name:	67180581326__440D96A9-81D7-4485-9B82-7B0D78F45F30.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	708.8 KB 
ID:	413394
    SB is a good friend and he does all of the video work for Magic and he and his partner W set up and edit "Confessions from the Red Chair". Look it up on YouTube, especially the kids' episode from this year. Pretty entertaining.

So the weather really wasn't that bad...it sprinkled until about 9:30 and then it was just grey and murky. Even so, we called it pretty early. Goniff had taken a bad tumble and SC has to get to Maine in an 85 Vanagon today so we all agreed that enough was enough. I'm meeting up with SC (and hopefully ticketchecker) at Sugarloaf on Monday/Tuesday. Probably going to ski the remnants at Okemo tomorrow but I have low expectations. It's currently pouring and 39* at the base of Magic.

Tuesday looks interesting....

ETA: SC posted a coupla pics in the ECRC thread.

Rallying with single tomorrow, will prepare the hill for your arrival. May have some local lurkers ready to roll as well.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Getting close!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Rallying with single tomorrow, will prepare the hill for your arrival. May have some local lurkers ready to roll as well.

Looking forward to finally getting to ski your hill.

This spring has definitely taken a turn in the right direction for you to get 100. Lots of good stuff in here. Sending positive vibes to you and your better half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checkin' in to say I hope to join ye on thine 100th day

Quote Originally Posted by savemeasammy View Post
    This spring has definitely taken a turn in the right direction for you to get 100. Lots of good stuff in here. Sending positive vibes to you and your better half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Just checkin' in to say I hope to join ye on thine 100th day
    Aiming for 4/30 at Killington for day 100. Would love to see a whole buncha mags turn out that day.

Day 95: Okemo, VT (Epic Pass)

Happy Easter, Passover, and Ramadan for those that celebrate.

No more Epic resorts open here in New England so I have my final cost per day on that pass. Pass cost was $135 (retired military). I skied 13 days (6 @ Sunapee, 6 @ Okemo, 1 @ Mt. Snow). Cost per day was $10.38. Sadly, I never got up to Stowe or strangely, never got to Crotched which is literally 20 minutes from our place in NH. Wildcat and Attitash were both dumpster fires this year and a long way from anywhere I have a free place to sleep. Just bought next year's Epic which went up a whopping $10 but is still lower priced than 2 years ago. Hate on Vail all you want, they treat military folks right (as does Killington...).

On today...it was much colder than expected this morning and the upper trails at Magic looked totally in (they weren't). Top of Okemo was still wrapped in clouds when I got to the lot at 7:45.

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	850.1 KB 
ID:	413470

The bubbles that spent the night on the upper part of the mountain were all coated in snow...

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	413471

Inside, you couldn't really see

Name:	67189424911__1AF9E993-1C24-4711-8033-CAC15F7D1858.jpg 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	413472
    but the seat heat was working and the bubble kept the raw wind off me. Soft? Maybe, but it's mid-April fer cryin out loud.

There was easily 2" on the top of Okemo and big kudos to Patrol and whoever told them to open everything that is marginally skiable. A few Okemo regulars (I've commented previously on the skill level of these peeps) were struggling and complaining but I had a blast.

Back in NH now prepping for my Zero-Dark-30 departure for Sugarloaf...linking up with ticketchecker and singlecross for 2 days of Maine goodness. I've heard VT is getting more snow MON/TUE but it seems Maine is starting from a better place. Should be a great coupla days.

No more Epic resorts open here in New England
    Epic Mt Snow still open till 4/24 at Carinthia, only 2 ways really down tho.

Been watching your journey, fingers crossed for you.

Single and I cased the joint today, coverage is great. All clear for landing

Thanks, my friend!

Aiming for 4/30 at Killington for day 100. Would love to see a whole buncha mags turn out that day.

Day 95: Okemo, VT (Epic Pass)

Happy Easter, Passover, and Ramadan for those that celebrate.

No more Epic resorts open here in New England so I have my final cost per day on that pass. Pass cost was $135 (retired military). I skied 13 days (6 @ Sunapee, 6 @ Okemo, 1 @ Mt. Snow). Cost per day was $10.38. Sadly, I never got up to Stowe or strangely, never got to Crotched which is literally 20 minutes from our place in NH. Wildcat and Attitash were both dumpster fires this year and a long way from anywhere I have a free place to sleep. Just bought next year's Epic which went up a whopping $10 but is still lower priced than 2 years ago. Hate on Vail all you want, they treat military folks right (as does Killington...).

On today...it was much colder than expected this morning and the upper trails at Magic looked totally in (they weren't). Top of Okemo was still wrapped in clouds when I got to the lot at 7:45.

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	850.1 KB 
ID:	413470

The bubbles that spent the night on the upper part of the mountain were all coated in snow...

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	413471

Inside, you couldn't really see

Name:	67189424911__1AF9E993-1C24-4711-8033-CAC15F7D1858.jpg 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	413472
    but the seat heat was working and the bubble kept the raw wind off me. Soft? Maybe, but it's mid-April fer cryin out loud.

There was easily 2" on the top of Okemo and big kudos to Patrol and whoever told them to open everything that is marginally skiable. A few Okemo regulars (I've commented previously on the skill level of these peeps) were struggling and complaining but I had a blast.

Back in NH now prepping for my Zero-Dark-30 departure for Sugarloaf...linking up with ticketchecker and singlecross for 2 days of Maine goodness. I've heard VT is getting more snow MON/TUE but it seems Maine is starting from a better place. Should be a great coupla days.
    Stratton had solid 4-5" up top, but sadly they didn't drop any ropes. A little birdy told me Tamarack was sweet Wasn't there long enough to "hear" about other trails. I think anything that went directly to base, vs connecting with Suntanner, would have run into potential issues (base of Stratton only had 2-3"). Beautiful winter day with a mid morning snow squall for another 1". Unfortunately had to head south so only 1/2 dozen runs.

Day 96: Sugarloaf, ME (Ikon pass)

Believe everything you’ve read about Sugarloaf. It’s all that and a bag of peanuts.

Can’t say enough about another group of solid mags; singlecross and Ticketchecker were amazing hosts today.

Oh, and I brought the most excellent weather

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	691.9 KB 
ID:	413645

singlecross getting after it
    Name:  IMG_0004.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  50.8 KB

Me tryna keep up

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	413647

Group selfie after we slayed Gondi

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	721.7 KB 
ID:	413648

Good times hanging at SC’s campsite at the end of the day. Looking forward to a possible pow day in the AM before I head back to the Granite State. SC heading for the coast but hoping to link up with TC (no, not Thin Cover) again tomorrow

There’s a good day. Spectacular from this angle boys!

So glad you came East to get your first ever day at Sugarloaf. It doesn’t get much better than today.

Name:	446B0E0E-4A24-42D5-9F39-17635FAC8E3D.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	413651

Almost to 100…

Name:	0CA56349-D0F4-4EEA-8A7D-0C0CEFC3BC0A.jpg 
Size:	612.0 KB 
ID:	413652

No Guinness World Record set, or Priority Lane needed. But we tried!

Name:	F1B7B284-5954-4B7E-8863-028A71203897.jpg 
Size:	559.0 KB 
ID:	413653

Great fun skiing with you today!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by singlecross; 04-19-2022 at 05:59 AM.

Tiiiittttaaaaaaaayyyyzzzzzz!

Fkna, wish I was there witcha. Looks like a great bunch to turn with.

Bring SC and TC back west with yas next saison.

That was a great spring day at the loaf, perfect closer on the season for SC. Gondi didn’t get the message that the rest of the hill was corned up. Snow just started coming down in earnest, it may not stay snow for long but it’s trying!

We decided on a summer Maine Mag mini, weekend of July 16. Come for the Phish, stay for the lobster!