Thread: Metatarsal

Metatarsal

Broke my 2nd and 3rd metatarsals.

Doctor said no weight bearing for 3 weeks, then slowly transition to a boot for another 3-5 weeks.

Is this a realistic timeline to get back to skiing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was weight bearing in a boot immediately after I had a more simple fracture in my little toe. 4 weeks later and I was skiing using a rear entry boot. 10 weeks and I was back to flexing my foot. I had a lot of atrophy in my foot and leg muscles. My podiatrist was a POS and never brought up atrophy and PT to regain strength.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I was weight bearing in a boot immediately after I had a more simple fracture in my little toe. 4 weeks later and I was skiing using a rear entry boot. 10 weeks and I was back to flexing my foot. I had a lot of atrophy in my foot and leg muscles. My podiatrist was a POS and never brought up atrophy and PT to regain strength.
    I’m still too painful to stand in boot - mine was a crushing injury (45lbs slammed onto a 1”x2” area of my foot) so I imagine some of my pain is also soft tissue - in addition to the obvious bone pain.

Fkna! Sorry to hear that.

The rehab thing took longest for my calf. The atrophy also affected by my knee due to weakening of stabilizing muscles.

I feel like I got lucky finding a rear entry boot. There was no way I’d been able to squeeze my foot into a normal boot when i restarted skiing again. They were a half size too big, but I used a thermo liner to help with fit/volume. What’s you foot size?

I also got a waterproof cover for my stabilizing boot because I live in the woods and mud during winter with nothing paved outside my house.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Fkna! Sorry to hear that.

The rehab thing took longest for my calf. The atrophy also affected by my knee due to weakening of stabilizing muscles.

I feel like I got lucky finding a rear entry boot. There was no way I’d been able to squeeze my foot into a normal boot when i restarted skiing again. They were a half size too big, but I used a thermo liner to help with fit/volume. What’s you foot size?

I also got a waterproof cover for my stabilizing boot because I live in the woods and mud during winter with nothing paved outside my house.
    I’m a 27.5 normally

Supposed to be headed to the beach in a week and a half and would love to find a boot I can swim in and be on the sand with

Not good to hear about your knee. I’m already in PT for my knee on the same side as my foot, was 3 weeks away from being cleared to ski

I did just have one of these delivered

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgBEB4&adurl=

i'll have to check the size of my rear entry boots. my plastic boots are 27.5. my standard shoe size is 10.5/11. i believe that the boots are bit big for me. their last is narrow.

this is the type of cover for the ortho boot that i bought. mine was trashed by the time i was out of the boot. it would work for some types of sand. I see there are covers that go up the calf. I also used a lightweight boot for humbling around my house. i have no idea what would work for swimming if you need to be stabilizing the foot. Maybe the lightweight boot.

Thanks, for the link for the ortho boot cover. Mrs PH just had mid foot metatarsal fusion and it will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    Thanks, for the link for the ortho boot cover. Mrs PH just had mid foot metatarsal fusion and it will work great.
    I just bought a boot that you can swim in. Headed to the beach so maybe this will save my vacay

Well…. This sucks…. My metatarsal fracture and lack of mobility has led me to develop a blood clot (DVT). I was prescribed a blood thinner but haven’t been able to talk to doctor yet to learn about prognosis