Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Lindsey Jacobellis!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Lindsey Jacobellis!!!
    I'm still on the boycott train...but: GREAT FOR HER! She's taken enough heat and waited long enough. A feel good moment for sure.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Winter Olympics 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Lindsey Jacobellis!!!
    good for her. she learned a very hard lesson in Turin and some maturity and redemption helps make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I'm still on the boycott train...but: GREAT FOR HER! She's taken enough heat and waited long enough. A feel good moment for sure.
    Boycott due to Turin or some other issue?

Great story for her. Way too much shit from clueless reporters that only cover snow events every 4 years (could be said for a lot of events/athletes too)

Don’t look now but I heard a report from some ABC guy in Beijing this morning that for some reason the medals have not been given out yet for the teams figure skating event despite it being over for almost 3 days now. (ROC finished first, USA second) and that the Russian skaters haven’t been to practice in two days and that the IOC has been in “emergency meetings” for two days.

RECKLESS SPECULATION: ROC cheated somehow and they’re trying to figure out a new limp-dicked way to deal with Russia. So much for that harsh ban due to the widespread state-sponsored doping scandal, right? I mean for fucks sake Putin is sitting there at the opening ceremonies and from what I can see no Russians were forced to stay home. The reporters even call them plainly Russian, often foregoing the ROC label.

Who knows.
    I still call it The Jake.

Haven't looked in the entire thread. May be a repost.

"The Boys took a beating on that one." Turn up the sound.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1490768974249967623
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

PETRA! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck NBC!

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    The camera following the rider up and out of the pipe is bullshit. At least show the lip too so we can see the vert
    Camera angles have been shit this whole broadcast. Moguls they were going down the hill with the skier while it should have been a front shot from afar.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Amazing that that was Petra's first Olympic medal and the first ever alpine skiing medal for Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    good for her. she learned a very hard lesson in Turin and some maturity and redemption helps make up for it.

Boycott due to Turin or some other issue?
    Not boycotting LJ...boycotting Beijing Olympics. This is the first winter Olympics that I haven't watch from Open to Close...I haven't even seen one highlight; just a few still photos that pop up.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Me too.

For those that never leave the Padded Room, I posted this in the Shiffrin thread in the Ski/Snowboard forum:

It is crazy to think this thread is already 10 years old. We've watched Mikaela go from a teenage phenom that was full of "I shouldn't be able to do this at this age" energy, to one of the most consistent and successful technical skiers that has ever lived. She has grown and matured each step of the way. But along with that success, pressure to be two people has steadily mounted. It has been a steep icy slope to both be “the GOAT” skier and the marketing face of women’s alpine skiing. Not just here in the US but globally. The world cup kind of flies under the global awareness radar (as do most winter sports). However, the Olympics bring it all that pressure and expectation to a head. I’m not going to go back through all of the posts in this thread to find it but I remember saying that I really hope she doesn’t end up getting chewed up and spit out by the sport personality marketing machine. But I think we have come to that point where she has slipped on that metaphorical icy slope and is falling into a crevasse.

IMHO, for past Olympics, Vonn took a lot of the heat and pressure off of Mikaela (Vonn certainly dealt with that pressure in her own unique ways). This Olympics, there is no one to share the burden. A combination of major life events over the last couple of years has also likely added to an already extremely high stress level that NO ONE commenting here can even begin to comprehend. So for those that are shocked or saying she is spoiled or “just get back to it”, maybe just step back a bit and try to put yourself where she is. It is probably a pretty dark place right now. Sitting on the side of the course was likely a result of everything coming crashing down in her thoughts which can be physically debilitating. There have been few people in any sport that have a burden of expectations on them as she has on her for these two weeks. A large percentage of comments on her Facebook posts are “my daughter looks up to you as her inspiration” type stuff. As such a pure personality, she has continually heavily leaned into those expectations which have made taking any failure WAY harder than we know. She has been keeping that up for 10 years and the back-to-back failures on the biggest stage have made her feel like she is letting so many people down as well as doubting her own ability.

Maybe she really does need a break from the spotlight to refocus herself. However, this late in her career may be too late to late to take a break and come back at a “podium every race” type level. Circling back to the Simone Biles comparison, maybe she decides to walk away completely before her mental state leads to a bad crash. It is completely understandable if she does. At this point she owes us nothing. She has been a great competitor to watch and cheer for. I wish the best for her whatever she decides to do.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Give everyone a break on this one. They're all like prisoners in cells with zero typical blow off time to relax. It took so long to get there, living in stupid quarantines and in a constant state of anxiety of a positive test, that would just cancel them immediately, so no practice time, and warmup schedule all screwed up. And the venue is fucking ugly, the food sucks, and the man made snow is pathetic.

But they all knew that when embarking on their pursuit of fame and riches while enabling a horribly corrupt international sporting organization and a tyrannical genocidal regime. I have no sympathy. For her, just furgetaboutit and get back to real racing and real mountains on the World Cup. Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    PETRA! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck NBC!
    Seriously. I can't fucking believe that this wasn't aired live.

Anyone else notice that as soon as Mikaela went down we were treated to a FUCKING REPLAY of Chen's short program skate from the fucking day before!? That's website content after that long you dopes.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    Camera angles have been shit this whole broadcast. Moguls they were going down the hill with the skier while it should have been a front shot from afar.
    It's almost like the Chinese (who admittedly have near-zero winter-sports experience on this level) looked at how they can make everything the camera shows be the most glowing rendition of the host nation and venue, and the actual fucking sports were an afterthought. I've never seen bumps viewed from the side of the skier giving you zero reference of how the turns are going. I've never seen halfpipe coverage stay on the athlete with zero reference to where they are in relation to the coping/bottom of the pipe.

I hope the tourism board is pleased though.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    For those that never leave the Padded Room, I posted this in the Shiffrin thread in the Ski/Snowboard forum:
    Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Give everyone a break on this one.

[more words]

But they all knew that when embarking on their pursuit of fame and riches while enabling a horribly corrupt international sporting organization and a tyrannical genocidal regime. I have no sympathy. For her, just furgetaboutit and get back to real racing and real mountains on the World Cup. Poor girl.
    The first part of your post is completely antithetical to the last part Ben. And that last part makes you sound like a real piece of shit. Especially as a "skier". Maybe your intent didn't come through as you thought it did.

Olympic Thought:
    Watching the late runners in SL… the skier representing Madagascar had a surprisingly decent SL run.

I love this shit. Love the late runners from Ireland and Iran and Ecuador and wherever…

Usa hockey plays the Chinese Checkers tomorrow!

With coverage dominated the first couple of days by figure skating, biathlon and the flippy-spinny events, I’ve come up with a new event

Skeet skiing

Run the biathlon courses thru the halfpipes and big air events
    Biathletes shoot at flippy-spinny athletes - either with their standard issue rifle or a paintball gun - instead of static targets.

FSAs must be airborne to be a legitimate target. Auto DSQ for sluicing

In addition to increasing the degree of difficulty for the biathletes, this will progress the big air and half pipe, as athletes will come up with better tricks to avoid getting shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Anyone else notice that as soon as Mikaela went down we were treated to a FUCKING REPLAY of Chen's short program skate from the fucking day before!? That's website content after that long you dopes.

It's almost like the Chinese (who admittedly have near-zero winter-sports experience on this level) looked at how they can make everything the camera shows be the most glowing rendition of the host nation and venue, and the actual fucking sports were an afterthought. I've never seen bumps viewed from the side of the skier giving you zero reference of how the turns are going. I've never seen halfpipe coverage stay on the athlete with zero reference to where they are in relation to the coping/bottom of the pipe.

I hope the tourism board is pleased though.

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

The first part of your post is completely antithetical to the last part Ben. And that last part makes you sound like a real piece of shit. Especially as a "skier". Maybe your intent didn't come through as you thought it did.
    So they aren't part of the problem? They're somehow devoid of responsibility? Please. They're greedy too

Is there a schedule for what's coming up on every version of the TV coverage? NBC, USA, Peacock, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just watched the replay of the women's snowboard cross. Great runs all the way through by LJ. I was really getting the feeling that Seth Westcott was contemplating punching Trace Worthington who kept bringing up 2006. TW wouldn't let it go even after she won. It was if LJ had done nothing else besides that single hiccup for Silver in her entire career. Seth kept dutifully bringing the audience back around that she has easily been the most dominant athlete in her sport despite what happened all those years ago and that moment really isn't what defines her.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    With coverage dominated the first couple of days by figure skating, biathlon and the flippy-spinny events, I’ve come up with a new event

Skeet skiing

Run the biathlon courses thru the halfpipes and big air events
    Biathletes shoot at flippy-spinny athletes - either with their standard issue rifle or a paintball gun - instead of static targets.

FSAs must be airborne to be a legitimate target. Auto DSQ for sluicing

In addition to increasing the degree of difficulty for the biathletes, this will progress the big air and half pipe, as athletes will come up with better tricks to avoid getting shot.
    From the movie Top Secret

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Just watched the replay of the women's snowboard cross. Great runs all the way through by LJ. I was really getting the feeling that Seth Westcott was contemplating punching Trace Worthington who kept bringing up 2006. TW wouldn't let it go even after she won. It was if LJ had done nothing else besides that single hiccup for Silver in her entire career. Seth kept dutifully bringing the audience back around that she has easily been the most dominant athlete in her sport despite what happened all those years ago and that moment really isn't what defines her.
    The producers feed him that stuff. It's not necessarily his narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Huh, pretty sure it was shown live here. I think we get some extra coverage on the West Coast.

I'm not sure if anything has been announced yet, but I hope she skis the Super G. She needs to get back on the horse and complete a run. She doesn't have to medal, just get down the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there a schedule for what's coming up on every version of the TV coverage? NBC, USA, Peacock, etc.?
    Yes, but don't count on it being accorate. You might end up with 15 minutes of FINAL slalom coverage followed by an hours worth of individual PLACEMENT runs for the snowboard cross QUALIFYING runs...

If I were Supreme Commander, skeet-skiing would involve the biathletes shooting paintballs at the big air jumpers from long range.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Huh, pretty sure it was shown live here. I think we get some extra coverage on the West Coast.

I'm not sure if anything has been announced yet, but I hope she skis the Super G. She needs to get back on the horse and complete a run. She doesn't have to medal, just get down the hill.
    I hope she skis to quiet people like the ones that were merciless on Simone Biles but she doesn't owe me, the USA, or anyone else an obligation to run. People who actually compete know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So they aren't part of the problem? They're somehow devoid of responsibility? Please. They're greedy too
    Tell me you've never worked your whole life for something and failed in front of a global audience when the world expected you to succeed without saying you've never worked your whole life for something and failed in front of a global audience when the world expected you to succeed.