Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1536
    Good article about Eileen Gu and repercussions and cost of renouncing US citizenship

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eileen-...123345918.html
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Good article about Eileen Gu and repercussions and cost of renouncing US citizenship

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eileen-...123345918.html
    I wish she would be honest about it.. she's a US citizen competing for China for financial gain
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I wish she would be honest about it.. she's a US citizen competing for China for financial gain
    Competing AND POSING AS A CHINESE CITIZEN for financial gain.. The Chinese people are lead to believe she is not Chinese..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

People compete for countries of convenience all the time. The only reason anyone is making a big deal of this is because China. And if China is so bad--and it is--why is the world giving it tacit approval by competing there? Or if you take the position that sport transcends politics why care about what country an athlete competes for?

Does anyone think she really renounced her US citizenship? I doubt the IOC asked for proof of her Chinese citizenship--and if they did the proof was probably a few tens of thousands in yuan.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    People compete for countries of convenience all the time. The only reason anyone is making a big deal of this is because China. And if China is so bad--and it is--why is the world giving it tacit approval by competing there? Or if you take the position that sport transcends politics why care about what country an athlete competes for?

Does anyone think she really renounced her US citizenship? I doubt the IOC asked for proof of her Chinese citizenship--and if they did the proof was probably a few tens of thousands in yuan.
    I think in order to compete for a country one must hold a passport from the respective country. China does not allow for dual citizenship. Thus, she would have had to conceivably give up her united states citizenship. I do not think she has admitted to doing so. China can make and break their own rules, so who knows?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

This is the problem. Few took major issue with Osaka playing tennis for Japan or even Swaney skiing (sort of) for Hungary. It's the deception and double talk that's so maddening.

Mt Bachelor’s Tommy Ford will be in men’s GS tonight. Bib #20

Cockring-Seagull is #27

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    This is the problem. Few took major issue with Osaka playing tennis for Japan or even Swaney skiing (sort of) for Hungary. It's the deception and double talk that's so maddening.
    It’s only maddening if you somehow expected the ioc to be transparent. If you had those expectations, you might ask yourself why, there’s nearly zero precedent for it.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    It’s only maddening if you somehow expected the ioc to be transparent. If you had those expectations, you might ask yourself why, there’s nearly zero precedent for it.
    Point taken, but the athlete herself? Can't even say if she is or is not a citizen of the US or China?? When has there ever been an Olympic athlete whose citizenship was a complete mystery????

She’s 18, if this is the worst thing she does at that age she’s a better person than me. Not to mention she’s probably being handled by an advisor (or team of them) who’s sole job is to keep her from doing/saying even remotely controversial so as not jeopardize her marketability. Who knows, when she’s 45 yrs old and has the benefit of hindsight and some life experience she may look back at this and wish she’d gonna about it differently. But for now she’s 18 and trying to make a huge wad of cash in the 15 minutes she’s got to make it. When I was 18 I’d probably have skied for the Somali warlords if they had an Olympic team and I thought I could get rich.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    She’s 18, if this is the worst thing she does at that age she’s a better person than me. Not to mention she’s probably being handled by an advisor (or team of them) who’s sole job is to keep her from doing/saying even remotely controversial so as not jeopardize her marketability. Who knows, when she’s 45 yrs old and has the benefit of hindsight and some life experience she may look back at this and wish she’d gonna about it differently. But for now she’s 18 and trying to make a huge wad of cash in the 15 minutes she’s got to make it. When I was 18 I’d probably have skied for the Somali warlords if they had an Olympic team and I thought I could get rich.
    She doesn't HAVE to ski for Somali warlords. She's probably the best in the world. Lame to have to hide behind handlers and a wall of secrecy.. Again, can't even say if she is a citizen?? That's pretty fucked up.. extremely fucked up.. I don't care what kind of whataboutism you try to spin and trivialize that.. It's fucked up

I’m not attempting any whataboutism or trivialization. Just offering my perspective, giving a teenager the benefit of the doubt and not assuming the worst. I know this square isn’t on your jump-to-conclusions mat but instead of judging her I ask myself if I could see the possibility that I might make a similar choice had I been in her shoes when I was that age.

I’m not sure why you have such strong opinions and curiosity about her citizenship.

This should be fun.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I have nothing against getting paid how and when you can.

If you can’t be honest about how you’re doing it when asked point blank, well, then you’re just another piece of shit sleazebag that will sell your scruples for a set price.

What people here have seemed to miss is that Gu’s situation comes at a time when her “countrywoman” Peng Shuai was disappeared and trotted out like a state puppet to try and silence her accusations of sexual assault by a CCP top official.

Gonna make that whole girl-power angle kinda hard for Ms Gu, not to mention it’s a stick in the eye of all the other prominent women around the world speaking up against China’s treatment of Shuai.

Again, that’s not really a concern for a person willing to play coy with citizenship and other issues in exchange for a payday, but that’s no surprise.
    I still call it The Jake.

Nuking on the hill where it never snows.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

CSSFTW

Winter Olympics 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    She doesn't HAVE to ski for Somali warlords. She's probably the best in the world. Lame to have to hide behind handlers and a wall of secrecy.. Again, can't even say if she is a citizen?? That's pretty fucked up.. extremely fucked up.. I don't care what kind of whataboutism you try to spin and trivialize that.. It's fucked up
    Why exactly should she answer that question ? It’s nobody’s business what country she has citizenship in. USA allows dual citizenship so why anyone in the USA has a problem with this is beyond me. No one in the US blinks an eyelash when someone says they are a dual citizen of US and Canada. But mention China and people lose their shit. Pure racism.

Bottom line = she is a phenomenal athlete and a beautiful woman.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

LOL

When the entire competition centers around nationality, it is an extremely valid question, no matter what country.

If she quit competing this minute it would change absolutely nothing as far as the way the Chinese government behaves.... And the NBA with their self censorship as well as many corporations that do business there have much more to be guilty about than any individual athlete....
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

All this GU. Stuff. Save me a bit of time

Where does she live?

I know where she was raised
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    All this GU. Stuff. Save me a bit of time

Where does she live?

I know where she was raised
    #vanlife

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    #vanlife
    POTD

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    #vanlife
    Gotos fer sure

Some sick face shots on this gs.