Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Vermont is no closer than Almaty in hosting the Olympics. You do realize there are more sports than just downhill skiing in the Olympics, right?
    I realize you are an ignorant cunt who’ll keep this going no matter what. Snow caves? Sweet Jesus you are fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I realize you are an ignorant cunt who’ll keep this going no matter what. Snow caves? Sweet Jesus you are fucking stupid.
    You’re right. Kazakhstan seems like a lovely place to send athletes next month. And clearly the political scene is much more favorable than China.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/06/asia/...hnk/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Almaty reminds me of Tehran and SLC
    Eerily similar to SLC. Wide ass streets. Weird churchy looking architecture. No drinking. Maybe this is the place we should all be moving to now that we're priced out of the Mountain West?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Almaty.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	401866

Name:	Almaty2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	401867

Is the world ready for an Olympics in a Muslim majority country?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Can confirm, Beaver Creek not brown. Also, generally covered in snow by first of the year.
    Birds of Prey DH is held in early December/late November, when the ground is brown, or covered by a few inches of natural. Ya, they have green evergreen trees in the Western US that make it look all Christmasy and shit. I thought you East Coasters would be sticking up for Yanqing and its dead looking deciduous trees. Should remind you of home.

Who knows, with climate change, maybe Yanqing will turn into the new Hokkaido.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Eerily similar to SLC. Wide ass streets. Weird churchy looking architecture. No drinking. Maybe this is the place we should all be moving to now that we're priced out of the Mountain West?

no drinking? What the fuck are you talking about? It’s been a few years, but last time I was there, you could definitely get a drink or ten.

Wow.

No joke, no sarcasm, that’s actually totally mind-blowing.
    I wonder what life is like there.

Pretty good I’ve heard.
    Aside from the shortages caused by crushing sanctions, and the religious police.
    I’ve never heard a bad thing said about Iran by the people i know who have visited it, and that’s more then a few.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Wow.

No joke, no sarcasm, that’s actually totally mind-blowing.
    I wonder what life is like there.

Not very nice at the moment if you're on the wrong side.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    no drinking? What the fuck are you talking about? It’s been a few years, but last time I was there, you could definitely get a drink or ten.
    The only Muslim majority nation I've been to is Malaysia. And while you can certainly get drunk there if you want, alcohol is generally frowned upon. Particularly in cities outside the urban capital, that don't have large populations of Buddhist and Hindu immigrants (Kota Bharu was the weirdest city I have been to). And Malaysia is considered Muslim-light (only the Saudi tourists were wearing burqas in Kuala Lumpur). I can't imagine they are pushing booze in Kazakhstan.
    Last edited by altasnob; 01-19-2022 at 09:28 AM.

I can't imagine they are pushing booze in Kazakhstan.
    According to this, https://eurasianet.org/kazakhstan-a-...beat-the-booze, Kazakhs booze quite a bit.

Goes to one Muslim majority country once, is an expert on all the others. Are you Benny’s son?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Birds of Prey DH is held in early December/late November, when the ground is brown, or covered by a few inches of natural. Ya, they have green evergreen trees in the Western US that make it look all Christmasy and shit. I thought you East Coasters would be sticking up for Yanqing and its dead looking deciduous trees. Should remind you of home.

Who knows, with climate change, maybe Yanqing will turn into the new Hokkaido.
    I'm well fucking aware of what the Beav looks like any given time of year. Comparing this new Olympic track's surroundings to BC is absurd.
    I still call it The Jake.

The only Muslim majority nation I've been to is Malaysia. And while you can certainly get drunk there if you want, alcohol is generally frowned upon. Particularly in cities outside the urban capital, that don't have large populations of Buddhist and Hindu immigrants (Kelantan was the weirdest city I have been to). And Malaysia is considered Muslim-light (only the Saudi tourists were wearing burqas in Kuala Lumpur). I can't imagine they are pushing booze in Kazakhstan.
    almaty was in my limited experience way more booze friendly than KL; neighboring Kyrgyzstan has a higher % Muslim population based on statistics but you could get booze almost anywhere - shitty vodka for <$1 bottle at sidewalk kiosks, beer, kymyz (fermented mares milk, the national beverage).

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Goes to one Muslim majority country once, is an expert on all the others. Are you Benny’s son?
    Well, just like Malaysia, Kazakhstan isn't all Muslim (70%). So ya, people drink there. But it all depends on where you are. Big cities are more cosmopolitan and catering to world travelers. Smaller cities are more entrenched in religious control.

For instance, Kota Bharu, Malaysia, the most Muslim place in Malaysia looks like this:
    Attachment 401873

Where as the capital Kuala Lumpur looks like this:
    Attachment 401874

And in Muslim minority Penang you will think you are in Hong Kong or Kolkata

A week before the recent Kazakhstan unrest it was mentioned on a list of cool places that made big turns for the better.

Well, just like Malaysia, Kazakhstan isn't all Muslim (70%). So ya, people drink there. But it all depends on where you are. Big cities are more cosmopolitan and catering to world travelers. Smaller cities are more entrenched in religious control. For instance:

Kota Bharu, Malaysia, the most Muslim place in Malaysia looks like this:
    Attachment 401873

Where as the capital Kuala Lumpur looks like this:
    Attachment 401874

And in Muslim minority Penang you will think you are in Hong Kong or Kolkata

Name:	Image1642610536.592747.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	401875

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I'm well fucking aware of what the Beav looks like any given time of year. Comparing this new Olympic track's surroundings to BC is absurd.
    Point being, Both Birds of Prey and Yanqing are Bernhard Russi designed courses (and every Olympics DH run since Calgary). Yanqing looks great and is the future of the sport. No where in America would allow Russi to come in and chop trees and move dirt for a ski course (nor should they). China doesn't give a fuck and gives him the green light to do whatever he wants. It's completely artificial but that is what ski racing is today (particularly the speed events).

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    I’ve never heard a bad thing said about Iran by the people i know who have visited it, and that’s more then a few.
    I lived in Iran for almost a year. Great country, great people. They have some fucked up politicians, but so do we.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

This thread did not go where I thought it would

I guess the conversation will focus on the 2022 Winter Olympics when they start next month?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    This thread did not go where I thought it would

I guess the conversation will focus on the 2022 Winter Olympics when they start next month?
    Doubtful. Are you new here?

Point being, Both Birds of Prey and Yanqing are Bernhard Russi designed courses (and every Olympics DH run since Calgary). Yanqing looks great and is the future of the sport. No where in America would allow Russi to come in and chop trees and move dirt for a ski course (nor should they). China doesn't give a fuck and gives him the green light to do whatever he wants. It's completely artificial but that is what ski racing is today (particularly the speed events).
    You must be fucking kidding. THAT is the future of our sport?

Absolutely. The future of competitive skiing. Ski racing, nordic, moguls, aerials, half pipe, slope style all can be hosted in a place with no real snow, but able to make snow, just as well as in a place with natural snow. And they need lax environmental and labor laws, and shady financing, to be able to build new venues. Why do you think the NBA is obsessed with marketing to China? The world is way more interested in these Olympic skiing sports than something like Freeride World Tour. Ski racing is a top ten, maybe even a top 5 sport in Europe. The vast majority of skiers worldwide ski on some shitty manmade snow slope, not blower pow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I lived in Iran for almost a year. Great country, great people. They have some fucked up politicians, but so do we.

Jealous! Hot wimmens, too. Just went to a Persian wedding in L.A. in November, besides the terrifying Armenian gangsters in attendance, it was a great time with great food and amazing eye candy.

Absolutely. The future of competitive skiing. Ski racing, nordic, moguls, aerials, half pipe, slope style all can be hosted in a place with no real snow, but able to make snow, just as well as in a place with natural snow. And they need lax environmental and labor laws, and shady financing, to be able to build new venues. Why do you think the NBA is obsessed with marketing to China? The world is way more interested in these Olympic skiing sports than something like Freeride World Tour. Ski racing is a top ten, maybe even a top 5 sport in Europe. The vast majority of skiers worldwide ski on some shitty manmade snow slope, not blower pow.
    not just the nba. Burton has gone big into China…. Including Xinjiang where there’s real mountains with snow

Well, the NBA, like any corporation, wants in on China because it's a massive market of a billion people who like basketball. It's also irrelevant to all this because it can easily be played in an indoor arena. They all look the same.

Ski racing is popular in Europe because skiing is popular in Europe. You know, the Alps. Dolomites. Pyrenees. Etc. Beautiful places that attract millions for holidays. And because they are pretty places, they look good on TV. Fuck, it's why I watch FIS along with the Tour de France. The scenery. Who besides the most rabid fan is going to watch racing in dirt mountains. The fuck if I will.

Benny, Benny, Benny, they need future consumers. And only mountains in Europe with snow are beautiful? I would think that a guy from the East Coast would realize just because mountains aren't covered in white that they can still be beautiful. The South Korea Winter Olympics got me interested in checking out mountain environments there sometime in my life. Ever see a ski area in Australia?

I'm super excited to watch the Yanqing downhill. It looks like something from SSX tricky video game.