Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Sochi, squaw valley, both places with highly irregular snowfalls. Not no snowfall. The ioc just got exposed for the dumb money grubbers they’ve always been.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Rains all the time in OR, extremely unreliable snowpack. When it does snow, the quality is terrible and rarely cold enough to make snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Much worse. Nothing of importance should ever come to Oregon because if it does we are all terrible drivers and will probably run it off the road.
    And with so much weed in the state every athlete will test positive and invoke the Ross Rabigliati Defense.

I will be watching the Paralympics for Central Oregon’s own Ravi Drugan in Super G and slalom. My good buddy Ben was his first coach/instructor. Will be having watch parties, and maybe sleepovers, at Hoodoo.

https://bendmagazine.com/meet-bends-...pics-hopefuls/

Of all the things to be disgusted by in regards to behavior of the money grubbing IOC executives and China, man made snow is waaaay down on the list.

The Paris Olympics in 2024 might be the last nail in the coffin so enjoy it if you want while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Rains all the time in OR, extremely unreliable snowpack. When it does snow, the quality is terrible and rarely cold enough to make snow.
    Oregon actually has one of the more reliable snowpacks. Maybe not blower powder, but the PNW is one of the snowiest places on earth and consistently gets a deep snowpack most winters. They have snow making at Crystal (base elevation 4,400 ft, and that is where most of the snowmaking is done). Climate there is not significantly different than Oregon resorts so I think snowmaking in Oregon could work, although it may not financially pencil out.

One big problem with winter Olympics in the PNW is that the only ski area in Oregon and Washington with the necessary vertical drop and terrain to host a world cup DH is Mt Bachelor, and then only if they run it off the summit down Pine Martin side like they used to do for Nor Ams there. FIS DH courses must be at least 800 m (2,625 ft). Even though you can get that vertical at Mt. Hood Meadows, the DH there is considered a boring, beginner DH course that lacks the varied terrain of real world cup DH courses.

Of course the sensible solution is to have both Olympics in a permanent spot, but then the IOC big guys wont be able to enrich themselves with massive bribes every two years from the lottery process. But, ok, even if it does travel around, let the places that have kept the facilities they built in good repair share the event every few decades, like Lake Placid here in America. But, no, over and over cities and regions go into deep debt for the "pleasure" of hosting, promising riches. At least Snowbasin got a new road paid for by taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    At least Snowbasin got a new road paid for by taxpayers.
    Pfft. That's nothing. Putin got an entire highway with rail service built from the sea to the mountains for his buddies' vacation homes in Sochi.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Oregon actually has one of the more reliable snowpacks. Maybe not blower powder, but the PNW is one of the snowiest places on earth and consistently gets a deep snowpack most winters. They have snow making at Crystal (base elevation 4,400 ft, and that is where most of the snowmaking is done). Climate there is not significantly different than Oregon resorts so I think snowmaking in Oregon could work, although it may not financially pencil out.

One big problem with winter Olympics in the PNW is that the only ski area in Oregon and Washington with the necessary vertical drop and terrain to host a world cup DH is Mt Bachelor, and then only if they run it off the summit down Pine Martin side like they used to do for Nor Ams there. FIS DH courses must be at least 800 m (2,625 ft). Even though you can get that vertical at Mt. Hood Meadows, the DH there is considered a boring, beginner DH course that lacks the varied terrain of real world cup DH courses.
    Way to share the truth. All our overcrowding problems are forever now your fault.

I am sure we could get creative and make a downhill course. Ski Bowl has one that is FIS approved, it is shorter than the 800m. A new course could get carved out of TLine and as you stated Bachelor could easily get it done.

Oregon will never host a Winter Olympics, but the barrier won’t be a single course for a single event. It will be everything else. Mostly political will and desire.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I am preparing to crush the Olympic competition and become a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Pfft. That's nothing. Putin got an entire highway with rail service built from the sea to the mountains for his buddies' vacation homes in Sochi.
    And SLC got a nice expanded twelve lane highway through town paid for by every US taxpayer because, fuck, don't want any traffic jams for the two weeks the Olympics are in town.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2001/12/1...hy-businessmen

The Mormons have always been smart around money.

This is the problem I have with the world cup at Killington. The mountain spends a million bucks every time they host it, and gets nothing back except stupid PR. At least figure out a way to grift and profit from it, like the SLC bigwigs.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Anybody here ever ski that resort in China? What's it like there?
    It's great skiing....
    It's steep....
    Bunny would have a hard time..... But then again he's good at talking about things he has no clue about.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3731.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	702.6 KB 
ID:	401753

Mandatory athlete app has backdoor, list of censored terms, truly shocking!
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ns-in-beijing/

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Is Anal Probe on the list?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    It's great skiing....
    It's steep....
    Bunny would have a hard time..... But then again he's good at talking about things he has no clue about.....

Looks like stuff we see in manmade snow land southeast.. But steeper! We get like 300 vert feet of steep then another 700 f.....l....a......t
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It's steep, there are sections where if the winch cat cable or anchor failed, the cat driver would die.

Name:	IMG_3979 3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	839.5 KB 
ID:	401763

"It also includes a feature to allow users to report “politically sensitive content” to My 2022. It is not clear with whom the information would be shared."

Now where have I heard about this concept before?

Texas?

It's great skiing....
    It's steep....

Lovely. The most expensive WROD ever created. Otherwise, brown. I'm sure most Americans and Euros watching will say, wow, let's go skiing in China! And we can get Chinese food for lunch!

After all we’ve been through, after all China has covered up, I can’t believe this going on.

They should be putting Lebron on skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You guys realize that only Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan bid on this Olympics, right?

A friends brother (who helped save the Vancouver games for almost certain disaster) explained that most of cities that bid these days tend to be under authoritarian regimes that are trying to make a name in the global political sphere.

The summer games don’t require as much esoteric infrastructure so more cities tend to bid for them.

It's steep, there are sections where if the winch cat cable or anchor failed, the cat driver would die.

Name:	IMG_3979 3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	839.5 KB 
ID:	401763
    Wow that's an off camber section. I assume they need lots of netting there.
    The other picture looks like a reverse great wall of china.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    You guys realize that only Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan bid on this Olympics, right?

A friends brother (who helped save the Vancouver games for almost certain disaster) explained that most of cities that bid these days tend to be under authoritarian regimes that are trying to make a name in the global political sphere.

The summer games don’t require as much esoteric infrastructure so more cities tend to bid for them.
    yes. And Almaty has real skiing out the door.

it’s like links golf courses vs. ??? golf courses. Both can be fun, ones “natural”. The 2022 amusement park dh course looks fun and fake

Who won their right mind would submit a bid knowing that China is going to throw shipping containers full of cash at the IOC to get it?

As an aside, Kyrgyzstan produces some ripping mogul skiers.

yes. And Almaty has real skiing out the door.
    I’m no fan of the IOC or China but I have little doubt that Beijing will pull this off. Almaty on the other hand was very unlikely to build the infrastructure, etc to actually host the games. As of this week, Almaty is under lock down due to political upheaval.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    A friends brother (who helped save the Vancouver games for almost certain disaster)
    If you’re referring to Woody, he may have saved one event, not the whole Olympic Games.
    He’s a good story teller….
    His time is the Ringling Circus gave him some great perspective.

Why do people care if the skiing is on 100% man made snow? When Beaver Creek hosts the DH in early December each year, it is normally on mostly man made snow. And that's the best DH course in North America, one of the best anywhere. Beaver Creek/Vail in early December looks no shittier for skiing than Yanqing in February.