Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1536
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Hot take: does there need to be both aerials and big air? Seems like one is flippy, twisty stuff with grabs and one is flippy, twisty stuff without grabs. Oh yeah, sometimes the big air people also cross their skis...
    Yeah, I personally think that they're different disciplines. They have different tricks and scoring and goals.

The aerialists do like 3 separate maneuvers (that are separately named tricks from big air) with straightened arms and bodies under an aerials scoring criteria. That's like 9 separate axes of rotation.

The big air does a single maneuver under 2 or 3 axes of rotation but with higher degrees of rotation. They're scoring also depends on their grab and how much they cork it out.

To me they're completely different things.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

The contrast was really evident in the men's moguls, where the competitors favored doing an aerial trick on the first jump and a freestyle trick on the second. The double fulls and double corks looked nothing alike.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I'm gonna agree as well. Ever since big air (and even slopestyle) became a thing, I've wondered what is the point of aerial? Big air guys go so HUDGE and do so many tricks... to me, it always looks like the aerial people are training to become big air folks.
    You kinda have that backwards. Aerials were way before big air stuff. The big air and pipe people have been schooled by the aerialists and their coaches on body awareness in the air. Still, it seems like aerial, like ballet, days have gone past.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I was not suggesting to "bring back ballet". I was thinking that some ballet style moves would be nice degree of difficulty adds to slopestyle on the rails. boxes, etc when they're not on the jumps..
    yeah, no

I'd like to see 100m, 200m, 400m CC ski sprints. Run it in heats like summer Game running sprints.

About the only thing I can think of from ballet that might fit into today's bag of tricks would be flipping over poles. The other stuff seems a bit fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    About the only thing I can think of from ballet that might fit into today's bag of tricks would be flipping over poles. The other stuff seems a bit fussy.
    I like that idea! That way we can get rid of the freestyle guys who think it’s ok to ski without them

I'm thinking 1 footed rail and box grinds..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

^^^
    Watch some urban ski edits. Plenty of one footed tricks in that world. It’s also rad to see how much effort the urban kids put into skiing. They get really creative finding things to do in flat mid western, eastern and European cities.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've felt for a long time that they should ditch Aerials and add Moguls to the Park, Pipe, and Big Air stuff for a unified Feestyle/X-Games format. Also bring back the combined (with a really big prize incentive to ski all events) and add ballet moves to Slopestyle.
    Add to that some "roller derby" style action, and I think you have a homerun event. You know, kind of a Chinese style downhill. Start at the very top of the downhill course, throw in some moguls, some slopestyle, then a dozen or so slalom gates, the big kicker somewhere in the middle of the course, half pipe near the end, and then another giant kicker at the very end, with a moat. Fill it with sharks. Laser beams optional.
    Last edited by Toadman; 02-11-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Gonna get some heat for this one but….I absolutely hate park and pipe skiing. It’s so reminiscent to me of rollerbladers at the skate parks or street spots in the 90s-00s. Skiers look dumb doing that shit, it’s for snowboarders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Add to that some "roller derby" style action, and I think you have a homerun event. You know, kind of a Chinese style downhill. Start at the very top of the downhill course, through in some moguls, some slopestyle, then a dozen or so slalom gates, the big kicker somewhere in the middle of the course, half pipe near the end, and then another giant kicker at the very end, with a moat. Fill it with sharks. Laser beams optional.
    Make it a full lap and include the fistfight at the maze and pushing each other over to get on the chair
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You kinda have that backwards. Aerials were way before big air stuff. The big air and pipe people have been schooled by the aerialists and their coaches on body awareness in the air. Still, it seems like aerial, like ballet, days have gone past.
    For the mixed aerials, there was only enough athletes to have 4 teams of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Gonna get some heat for this one but….I absolutely hate park and pipe skiing. It’s so reminiscent to me of rollerbladers at the skate parks or street spots in the 90s-00s. Skiers look dumb doing that shit, it’s for snowboarders.
    You're high AF

Yeah, I know that's a quarterpipe pic and not halfpipe, point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Make it a full lap and include the fistfight at the maze and pushing each other over to get on the chair
    No chair. Got to transition to the alpine touring set up. Now that I am thinking this through. Add a bit of biathlon to it. Except no stupid .22 rim fire gun. A 6 shooter pistol with moving targets. And I like the idea of making the participants have to skim across the moat on the finishing lap. 5 second penalty if you don't make it across.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You're high AF

only cause they have poles. mini-poles, at that. but poles.

no poles, no cools.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You're high AF

Skiers boost higher and tricks have more variability, so I prefer it to snowboard at this point, although at a certain point they're both just flippy spinny shit to me.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    No chair. Got to transition to the alpine touring set up. Now that I am thinking this through. Add a bit of biathlon to it. Except no stupid .22 rim fire gun. A 6 shooter pistol with moving targets. And I like the idea of making the participants have to skim across the moat on the finishing lap. 5 second penalty if you don't make it across.
    Can we get some parking lot stuff added in?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Can we get some parking lot stuff added in?
    Like tail gaiting or finding a parking spot at a vail resort on a saturday?

I'm thinking like four competitors, four parking spots, each one farther away from the lift than the other. Line them up and drop the flag. Oh, and let's get rid of this ban on PED bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Like tail gaiting
    Is this defined as walking like you have a tail?

The event is finally over when my pizza arrives...

Who would do better?
    The Aerialists Athletes on the Big Air jump?
    Or
    The Big Air Athletes on the Aerialists jump?

I don't mean having to compelete the same tricks, just who would handle the other jump better?

Tie-breaker- they have to complete their same tricks off the Nordic Jump.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Who would do better?
    The Aerialists Athletes on the Big Air jump?
    Or
    The Big Air Athletes on the Aerialists jump?

I don't mean having to compelete the same tricks, just who would handle the other jump better?
    Do they have to be able to hit them switch?