Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    The great outdoors!

Indoor Yanqing National Sliding Center

Moguls in a forest of steel

No cliff huckin here!

Hardly inspiring. Especially when you are greeted like this:

https://apnews.com/article/winter-ol...252523547aaada
    their vaccines don't work, so I'm not bothered by the hazmat suited guys...their only option is to isolate the infected and wait for them to clear via testing.

The venues are impressive from a "humans over environment" perspective, but to me this winter Olympics location makes no sense. I wish they would've done it at an actual ski resort that at least typically gets some naturally occurring snow.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Gu is an amazing person. Didn’t know about her, will definitely watch her now.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Read an article that Kingsbury likes the bump course because it reminds him of home in Quebec, frozen, icy and rock hard. Three qualities anyone who cut their teeth on small ski area bumps will instantly relate to.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    The great outdoors!

Indoor Yanqing National Sliding Center

Moguls in a forest of steel
    mogul jong here. not too sure if I'm seeing this picture correctly, but from where it sit it appears that upper half of the Moguls in a Forest of STeel course layout has a double fall line? is that normal for a world cup caliber course?
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Took a trail map back to show to my buddy who went out west skiing all the time I still remember his response: "pssht, really? where are the back bowls?" ( obv he was a Vail guy)
    Us speed event guys love back bowls. There's an amazeballs back bowlz at Snowbird, you can even set a pretty snappy little Super G course back there.

Also need to clarify: when I said earlier I was the Breezy Johnson of men, I was not yet aware she would get injured and not make the Olympics. So, I am still the Breezy Johnson of men, except I'm going to win the DH Gold at the WROD Olympics, and then I'm going to win Birds-O-Prey, and I'm going to win the god damn Hahnenkamm.
    When I'm done, the Chinese will refer to this as The Year of The Seagull.

you try to hard

Good plan. While you're there, if you could get word to Spook to send up a flare it would really round out the year.

Quote Originally Posted by skiSilent_skiDeep View Post
    mogul jong here. not too sure if I'm seeing this picture correctly, but from where it sit it appears that upper half of the Moguls in a Forest of STeel course layout has a double fall line? is that normal for a world cup caliber course?
    Yes, look at this picture of Champion, arguably the best bumps course in the world. You'll see the upper bump section, first jump, middle bump section, section jump, then last bump section to the finish line.

Detailed description of course build here:

https://blog.deervalley.com/world-cu...runs-are-made/

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you try to hard
    No such thing. I'm at an elite world-class level of trying. That's what gets you into the start gate of an actual, literal, Televised Official Chinese Downhill, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Good plan. While you're there, if you could get word to Spook to send up a flare it would really round out the year.
    Which one is Spook?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	148c0b1e8fcc5005098e19b627d8ae19.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	403932

The one in the blue?

Quote Originally Posted by skiSilent_skiDeep View Post
    I don't see the double fall line you're referring to on the Chinese Olympic course and pictures can be deceptive.

Deer Valley's Champion mogul run certainly doesnt have a double fall line. The bump sections may have different slope angles

Excited to see the games kick off. I've got a bunch of live broadcasts set to record so I don't have to watch NBC's nightly limited coverage/highlights of the events I care about.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yes, look at this picture of Champion, arguably the best bumps course in the world. You'll see the upper bump section, first jump, middle bump section, section jump, then last bump section to the finish line.

Detailed description of course build here:

https://blog.deervalley.com/world-cu...runs-are-made/
    aye, thanks Bmills. that DV link is quite informative, an impressively engineered course, to say the least.
    Last edited by skiSilent_skiDeep; 02-01-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cockring-Seagull View Post

Which one is Spook?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	148c0b1e8fcc5005098e19b627d8ae19.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	403932

The one in the blue?
    If we knew that we'd just get word to the photographer. It's not an easy mission. Good luck.

I bet that when you see those skiing venues on TV the camera work will make it all look like the snowy Alps. (or is it the "Alp"?)
    Once the Olympics are on TV everything you see is fine and dandy.

Meanwhile America's best bobsledder is in Covid isolation and may miss, although she has time to get her negative tests.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...jing-olympics/

What are the chances that American top athletes test "positive" in significant numbers at this Olympics? Asking for a friend.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What are the chances that American top athletes test "positive" in significant numbers at this Olympics? Asking for a friend.
    for what, melamine?

Nothing would make dear leader more proud than to shame the western-made vaccines’ efficacy while the totally not-positive Chinese athletes go on to compete for glory.

Is that the new code name, meramine?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Is that the new code name, meramine?
    ketamine? Don’t threaten them with a good time.

Decent read on how we got to Beijing 2022:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...-rights-crisis

Some of the more telling pieces to me:

"Once the coffee break began and the hallway filled, Wallechinsky said, hundreds of Chinese suddenly appeared outside the window -- as if on cue -- and banded together, waving signs and cheering about the possibility of hosting the Winter Games right in front of the voters.

"They had the organizational skills to orchestrate something like that," Wallechinsky said. "What other country would do something like that? What other country would want to?"

Um, I don't know. Maybe any other authoritarian regime that keeps their most popular and famous living in fear of being erased, much less the commoners?

And then there's this one from one in our own sport:

"Shortly after Beijing won the 2022 bid, Gian Franco Kasper, then the head of the International Skiing Federation and an honorary IOC member, told a Swiss newspaper that the choice of Beijing made perfect sense. "Dictators can organize events such as this without asking the people's permission," Kasper said. "For us, everything is easier in dictatorships."

Oh, that Olympic Spirit?

"Yang Shu, deputy director general of the Beijing organizing committee's international relations department, even invoked the revered "Olympic spirit" in a recent briefing by the Chinese Embassy in which he openly threatened athletes who spoke out against China while at the Olympics.

"Any behavior or speeches that are against the Olympic spirit, especially against Chinese laws and regulations, are also subject to certain punishment," Yang said, adding that those punishments could include ejection from the Olympics and even arrest."

I can't ever recall being so down on an Olympic games. This whole thing stinks; from the deplorable host nation to those bending over backwards so as not to get cross with its ruling party, to the insanely corrupt IOC, to the farcical location, to the look-the-other-way treatment everyone seems to be giving the glaring human rights issues that the athletes will be competing in the shadow of... it all stinks of shit.

i agree.

Probably the worst for me is that I love the Winter Olympics, so seeing it all shitted up with dictatorship horrors and corruption…ugh.

Are the condom companies not providing sponsorships this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Decent read on how we got to Beijing 2022:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...-rights-crisis

Some of the more telling pieces to me:

"Once the coffee break began and the hallway filled, Wallechinsky said, hundreds of Chinese suddenly appeared outside the window -- as if on cue -- and banded together, waving signs and cheering about the possibility of hosting the Winter Games right in front of the voters.

"They had the organizational skills to orchestrate something like that," Wallechinsky said. "What other country would do something like that? What other country would want to?"

Um, I don't know. Maybe any other authoritarian regime that keeps their most popular and famous living in fear of being erased, much less the commoners?

And then there's this one from one in our own sport:

"Shortly after Beijing won the 2022 bid, Gian Franco Kasper, then the head of the International Skiing Federation and an honorary IOC member, told a Swiss newspaper that the choice of Beijing made perfect sense. "Dictators can organize events such as this without asking the people's permission," Kasper said. "For us, everything is easier in dictatorships."

Oh, that Olympic Spirit?

"Yang Shu, deputy director general of the Beijing organizing committee's international relations department, even invoked the revered "Olympic spirit" in a recent briefing by the Chinese Embassy in which he openly threatened athletes who spoke out against China while at the Olympics.

"Any behavior or speeches that are against the Olympic spirit, especially against Chinese laws and regulations, are also subject to certain punishment," Yang said, adding that those punishments could include ejection from the Olympics and even arrest."

I can't ever recall being so down on an Olympic games. This whole thing stinks; from the deplorable host nation to those bending over backwards so as not to get cross with its ruling party, to the insanely corrupt IOC, to the farcical location, to the look-the-other-way treatment everyone seems to be giving the glaring human rights issues that the athletes will be competing in the shadow of... it all stinks of shit.
    there was a piece written back in iirc 2014 or so (came up recently) about why Norway dropped out, which was roughly because they weren’t willing to kiss enough ioc ass. They wouldn’t produce traffic less airport shuttle for the fascists dick suckers, royal teas, etc.

I think garmisch 1936 gets overshadowed by Berlin 1936 and people don’t know about that fascist shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    there was a piece written back in iirc 2014 or so (came up recently) about why Norway dropped out, which was roughly because they weren’t willing to kiss enough ioc ass. They wouldn’t produce traffic less airport shuttle for the fascists dick suckers, royal teas, etc.
    Oh yeah, that's all mentioned in the article above. Someone call ESPN a cab, cause they're clearly drunk; letting someone write this piece instead of towing the CCP line to protect their NBA partnership $$.

Just wait until Paris 2024 when a series of transpo, construction, and other labor strikes in conjunction with cost over runs and incomplete venues finally kills the Olympic games. Then you'll understand the IOC love for dictators.