Thread: Wing Foil

Wing Foil

What do you think about wing foiling?

I think it’s kinda self promoting

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn wingers are always in the way when I'm trying to kite.

It’s fucking fun as shit when there aren’t waves.

It’s fucking fun as shit when there aren’t waves.

Though there is a reason they never show that dude landing anything.

Been out a couple times trying to learn how to wing foil...got my ass kicked every time. I have a decent amount of foiling experience (wake foil / efoil) but zero sailing. Hopefully I can turn the corner soon...

Sent from my SM-S918U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Been out a couple times trying to learn how to wing foil...got my ass kicked every time. I have a decent amount of foiling experience (wake foil / efoil) but zero sailing. Hopefully I can turn the corner soon...
    Are you on a big enough foil and board? (and you also need to start with a bigger than necessary wing as you're inefficient when you learn)
    I thought it was the easiest sport ever. And that was with zero foiling experience (lots of regular windsurfing though). Lots of people picking it up just because of the super fast learning ramp. You need the right gear tough!

Other than that I mildly hate "gnats". Always in the way and unpredictable on the water

Quote Originally Posted by Mani_UT View Post
    Are you on a big enough foil and board? (and you also need to start with a bigger than necessary wing as you're inefficient when you learn)
    I thought it was the easiest sport ever. And that was with zero foiling experience (lots of regular windsurfing though). Lots of people picking it up just because of the super fast learning ramp. You need the right gear tough!

Other than that I mildly hate "gnats". Always in the way and unpredictable on the water
    I'm definitely trying to make it work on a slightly too small board because I'm being stubborn (115L at 215 lbs). I think my foil is ok...starting with my 270 Camber Pro and will swap up to my 200 HA soon (Lift foils). I'm using a 7M CWC Strike wing.

I think a huge part of my issue is I'm dealing with marginal wind lately (Utah). I'm progressing each time I've gone out lately and am getting closer. Just need a day with steady wind.

Both the foil and front foil are pushing it (115 liter and 1742 cm2) for your weight especially at first but should work if you're willing to suffer through a handful of frustrating days. You're definitely making it a harder than needed on yourself
    I'd try to borrow a 2000cm2 or more at first though especially in crappy winds. At 170 lbs I had one lesson on a 115 liter board with 1800 cm2 foil then bought right away a 95 liter board / 1500 cm2 front wing and it was a good choice as after a week that's perfect.

The marginal winds are a problem though. Especially at first you need stronger winds even with a giant wing like yours. Have you heard of Sulphur creek near Evanston? Still warm enough this time of the year, 90' from SLC and often windier than the valley or Deer Creek. Or just come do a quick trip in the Gorge

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Looks like tomorrow!

If you are into the winging, you should check out this guy's YouTube channel "JD FollowCam"

There's so much winger peer pressure on Maui. I don't think my wife and I will hold out much longer.

I gotta get some more time on a wing foil setup....I think I'm at a hump that a bit of focused practice in the right conditions would pop me out of.

Tried for the first time in Maui in December 2021 with a lesson. Went back later and just rented gear because unlike kiting, I felt 100% confident going out by myself (have some windsurfing and extensive sailing background, so maneuvering around without foiling was easy). Could get going a little bit but not reliably and would usually dump it pretty fast after starting to foil. A bigger wing might have helped give me more oomph so I didn't spend so much time trying to power up.

Rented gear again in December 2022, but honestly I think I should have packed up, gone back to the shop, and traded for a bigger wing. Just didn't have the power to get myself going on a big board with my skill level (and I'm not really too concerned about being overpowered in the semi-protected and busy area I was in). I don't have the skill to pump myself up yet, and it is hard to get much useful practice in if you can only get it to start foiling when you luck out on a sustained puff. Unfortunately, the rest of the trip just didn't have good wind when I could go.

Maybe I just need to plan a trip the the Gorge (wife's family is in Portland)...I think a couple days with the right size gear and I'd start feeling pretty good!