Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2035
    Where do all the white pass crowds come from? Yakima?

The crowds at White these days are from the west side of the state, Tacoma, Olympia and the like. A lot of former Crystal skiers now make the drive White.

from olympia the drive time is the same to both white and mt dweebus

plus white takes all the i-5 towns down to longview

They are apparently coming from as far south as Aurora, Oregon (South of Portland) to ski White Pass as that that is where US Ski Team member Jacqueline Wiles is from and White Pass is her home mountain. When you factor in traffic to Hood, White Pass doesn't sound too bad, depending on where in the Portland area you live. Packwood has some of the fastest increasing real estate prices anywhere in the last few years with the wealthy of Seattle and Portland buying second homes there.

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    I'm in Seattle and never been to White Pass or Mission Ridge- was thinking of bring the kids out for a long weekend next month and they both have decent lesson packages. Any reason to pick one over the other for beginner/intermediates?
    Go to Mission. They’ve limited day pass sales, buy in advance, and unlimited season passes. It’s really helped with crowds and they haven’t had to use overflow parking this season. The ski school is great.

The layout at Mission is more user friendly, basically you can’t get lost unless you hike. Go downhill and you’ll end up at the parking lot.

Stay in Wenatchee lots of decent restaurants and new hotels. It’s about 20 minutes to the Mission lot from downtown if the roads are good. Pm me if you want more specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Another vote for mission ridge

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    I'm in Seattle and never been to White Pass or Mission Ridge- was thinking of bring the kids out for a long weekend next month and they both have decent lesson packages. Any reason to pick one over the other for beginner/intermediates?
    Mission doesn’t have much for true beginner terrain but as I remember (it’s been twenty years) White Pass doesn’t have much either. And the lift operator tried to kill us at White Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Mission doesn’t have much for true beginner terrain but as I remember (it’s been twenty years) White Pass doesn’t have much either. And the lift operator tried to kill us at White Pass.
    Wrong

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    The lift operator tried to kill us at White Pass.
    You probably deserved it...

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Where do all the white pass crowds come from? Yakima?
    White has become the dweebus refugia, so berkenstock wearing westsiders. After last year's cf with dweebus, people picked up spring passes to White, liked it and now have season passes. Thanks dweebites.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    They are apparently coming from as far south as Aurora, Oregon (South of Portland) to ski White Pass as that that is where US Ski Team member Jacqueline Wiles is from and White Pass is her home mountain. When you factor in traffic to Hood, White Pass doesn't sound too bad, depending on where in the Portland area you live. Packwood has some of the fastest increasing real estate prices anywhere in the last few years with the wealthy of Seattle and Portland buying second homes there.
    Huh, never really thought of Packwood as a cute “mountain town”… quick look at zillow confirms many listings $500k+

My son in laws father wants to meet "halfway" (Portland and North Bend) at White Pass. I've never been there, and am open to check something out new, but seemed like a long drive...He wants to check it out to potentially get a second place there...Not sure 500k is in their second place range though...

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    My son in laws father wants to meet "halfway" (Portland and North Bend) at White Pass. I've never been there, and am open to check something out new, but seemed like a long drive...He wants to check it out to potentially get a second place there...Not sure 500k is in their second place range though...
    This same thought has been in my head and I’ve been meaning to check the area out, I’ve never been. My sister lives in Portland, I live in Seattle…

I guess I’m a few years late as always.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

[I can’t believe I’m going to ask this]

Is the cell tower back up at Xtal?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Washington doesn't seem to have any "cute" mountain towns, but that seems to be just a Washington culture thing...there's plenty of money to make it happen.

Washington doesn't seem to have any "cute" mountain towns, but that seems to be just a Washington culture thing...there's plenty of money to make it happen.
    Besides you know like Leavenworth?

Pass Life?

If you want that shit you can go back to whatever Rocky mountain town you came from

Suncadia is the attempt at a Sunriver type community here. I expect we'll see more of those types of developments. Many mountain communities here were dependent on logging and are still a little rough around the edges. As money flows to those areas for recreation, we'll see more smoothing of the edges. There weren't as many old mining towns for us to convert to cute towns as in Colorado.

It's a historic thing. The Cascades get too much snow for there to have been established mining towns like in the Rockies.

Virtually all the "cute" mountain towns in the Rockies from TSV to Whitefish were established a long time ago, exception being Vail, which doesn't really qualify.

With all the environmental regulations as well as costs, I doubt such a thing will manifest in the WA Cascades.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by RudyGarmisch View Post
    Besides you know like Leavenworth?
    And Winthrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It's a historic thing. The Cascades get too much snow for there to have been established mining towns like in the Rockies.
    I'd also say there was a lack of high yield, profitable hardrock mines. I'm sure as many know there were 1,000 plus people living in Barron(N of Harts Pass), Gilbert(head of the Twisp River) and the town of Ruby(on Ruby Creek/Hwy 20). None of them lasted.

Compare that to Rossland, Telluride or Leadville which were vastly more successful and perhaps more importantly longer lasting.

I hear Libby is a gorgeous little town with an old mine….

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I hear Libby is a gorgeous little town with an old mine….
    Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy to not be leaving next to a green lethal swimming pool! Just commenting on the difference from CO to WA.