Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sweet pics riff!

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    And Miriam Basin is totally different that some crappy, worthless, low elevation, next to the highway, lifts at Stevens, that do nothing to expand lift served skiing terrain. Putting a lift in Miriam Basin would be like Crystal putting a lift in Morse Creek. It's a virgin, untouched, drainage, far from man-made structures. Oh, and I believe it is withing William O Douglas Wilderness. So it is never, ever, happening.
    I have no experience in that area, but I've got to say overall you're probably correct. If it's within a wilderness area then forget it. It's a non starter.

Skied Miriam basin with a patroller & then several more runs in there a couple years ago. For many, it's just a right hand 90 degree turn off a groomer or alternatively, the hike up Hogback offers some different exposures/ lines. Gets skied out quick and no secret but it's big and some quality lines can hold out. Morse creek is on a completely different level of proximity and access difficulty that keep it out of the side-country cross-hairs. Miriam basin would be nice addition if they could wrangle it. Pretty obvious by it's location and requesting a slice of land be traded off to re-define it's boundaries as USFS and leasable for recreational use is not unreasonable. Don't snow machines run around in that back valley? If you can sled into National parks on lower elevation roads where the wildlife's hanging around in the winter, what's the objection to recognizing a badly needed recreational expansion with a rather low impact to anything? Inflexible boundaries and designations, unwillingness to yield (within reason) are the sign of stagnant, locked-in bureaufarts.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Well done man!!

The wilderness boundary basically goes around the existing White Pass ski area boundary. It's the green line on this map , becoming the yellow and red dashed line right along the ridge of the Miriam drainage. So no, there are no snowmobilers in that drainage, except at the valley floor outside the wilderness. See map below.

I am not aware of anytime in US history where land designated wilderness lost its wilderness designation. Nor has there ever been a land swap to remove wilderness land from wilderness designation. Wilderness is created by an act of Congress, in this case in 1984, named after the only Supreme Court Judge from Washington State.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (7).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	651.2 KB 
ID:	397352

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Other expansions include A-basin, Loveland, Lutsen, Lookout Pass, Purgatory, Steamboat, Snow King, Keystone, Beaver Creek, Bridger Bowl and on and on.
    Are you sure those expansions did not occur within the existing ski area permit area? Just like the proposed lifts at Stevens. It is one thing to get a new lift approved within existing ski area permit area. It is a whole different thing to get the USFS to expand the ski area permit to put in a new chairlift outside that historical ski area permit boundary (that was my point).

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    See Stevens Grace Lakes Expansion.
    Excitingly, Stevens Pass has approval from the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest to add three completely new lifts within and beyond the current ski area boundaries.

https://liftblog.com/2017/09/15/in-a...oks-to-expand/

Really awful understanding of the facts, as usual.
    Looks like they are putting in a golf course finally

Thank you for the beta. I found this in a google search & thought worth sharing;
    "While there has never yet been a wholesale removal of a wilderness from the National Wilderness Preservation System, land swaps and boundary adjustments are neither frequent nor uncommon."
    But it does take congress and would take some real effort from Washington's representatives. At some point I would think the situation of not having enough approachable recreation will begin to drive conversations, proposals, and hopefully action. On it's present trajectory and without some kind of state level involvement to mediate, this ship's a sinking.

Sheesh guys I’m finally driving up to Snoqualmie for a ski trip and your truckers neglect to chain up when chains are required? And now the pass is closed? 1/7 would not recommend.

Post comment cannot be empty. Please try againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211218_185317.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	397377Name:  20211218_181435.jpeg
Views: 656
Size:  8.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Haha what the fuck is happening at Steven’s this weekend! Glad I’m working.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Sheesh guys I’m finally driving up to Snoqualmie for a ski trip and your truckers neglect to chain up when chains are required? And now the pass is closed? 1/7 would not recommend.
    Truckers are idiots sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ts334 View Post
    Truckers are idiots sometimes.
    You’d think after one of their ilk got a 100+ year jail sentence for killing other motorists out of negligence that they’d at least follow the basic road safety requirements.

On the west side they were doing good this morning. Traffic moved slow, but didn't see any spinouts. Only one instance of a truck passing a truck passing a truck and blocking 3 lanes. The freezing rain probably messed up the pass.

Central was great this morning. Soft snow was reasonably light. Really good coverage for this time of year. Not much crowds. Had a great time. Freezing rain came in around 1pm and snow degraded quickly. Had a nice shell of ice by the time I left.

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa5446 View Post
    Haha what the fuck is happening at Steven’s this weekend! Glad I’m working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639896628.069210.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	397381

Glad I skipped skiing today…
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    You’d think after one of their ilk got a 100+ year jail sentence for killing other motorists out of negligence that they’d at least follow the basic road safety requirements.
    I believe most are still paid by the mile/ton… which de-incentivizes stopping to put on chains

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Steering wheel holders. Put a cop on the pass,that will fix the problem. Or get a $500 ticket.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Just have a chain gate like on I80 in California.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It only takes 15 mins to throw iron. Its part of the job.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

An experience at Stevens this Saturday. Tye and Chief closed due to staffing issues. Kitchen staff were running rope tow. Some poor soul trying to chain up next to a semi coming eastbound off the pass blocking two lanes for two miles. Two people trying to get into a Tesla and running alongside on the ice - appears doors lock when moving and the driver couldn’t stop without risk of slipping or stalling.

I really think we could set up a Govy500 but for US2.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    It only takes 15 mins to throw iron. Its part of the job.
    You're throwing 4 3-railers and a drag chain in 15 minutes? Prove it. Even if you're claiming you can throw 4 singles and a drag I'm calling bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    You're throwing 4 3-railers an2
    d a drag chain in 15 minutes? Prove it. Even if you're claiming you can throw 4 singles and a drag I'm calling bullshit.
    2- 3 railers 1 drag,done. Driving a logger gets lots of practices.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    2- 3 railers 1 drag,done. Driving a logger gets lots of practices.
    Well, that doesn't meet minimum requirements for "All vehicles must chain" in Washington state.

Only doing one axle, anyone can be fast. I get plenty of "practice" going over Snoqualmie every night.

Can you guys not turn this thread into another dumb pissing contest again? It was a good ski day, what is your problem

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Can you guys not turn this thread into another dumb pissing contest again? It was a good ski day, what is your problem
    Don't like pissing contests? You came to the wrong place.

Only one way to settle this, CHAIN OFF!!