Page 45 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2035
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'd also say there was a lack of high yield, profitable hardrock mines. I'm sure as many know there were 1,000 plus people living in Barron(N of Harts Pass), Gilbert(head of the Twisp River) and the town of Ruby(on Ruby Creek/Hwy 20). None of them lasted.

Compare that to Rossland, Telluride or Leadville which were vastly more successful and perhaps more importantly longer lasting.
    Very cool reading about the old mining towns. Thanks for sharing. Barron looks like it would be a fun place to explore in the summertime. I poked around the old Blewett townsite last summer. Not a whole lot to see but still some cool history. There's also an open mine if you duck the gate

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Very cool reading about the old mining towns. Thanks for sharing. Barron looks like it would be a fun place to explore in the summertime. I poked around the old Blewett townsite last summer. Not a whole lot to see but still some cool history. There's also an open mine if you duck the gate
    The area around Crystal used to be covered in mining operations - Search Summit Mining District. Used to be a post office up there in the ~late 1800s-early 1900s that was run by two sisters, I read somewhere that they used to spend the winter there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    If you want that shit you can go back to whatever Rocky mountain town you came from
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by RudyGarmisch View Post
    Besides you know like Leavenworth?
    Leavenworth is ugly and the food is below average. The mountains over there are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Leavenworth is ugly and the food is below average. The mountains over there are nice.
    I guess you don’t like cylindrical meat products.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I guess you don’t like cylindrical meat products.

We already established your fondness for them today.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    We already established your fondness for them today.
    Guilty as charged

I miss Uncle Uli's Bratwurst burger.

I always thought that in an alternate Cascadian reality, Monte Cristo could’ve been an alps-style destination with a few gondolas up onto the glaciers at 6000-7000’

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

I camped out at Monte Cristo for a 13 day stretch for a surveying project a decade ago. Such a cool spot. We were setting all the property corners for the remaining private parcels up there. I drafted the survey that was filed and it is still one of my flagship projects. I spent a few nights hiking around up there and had dreams of buying one of those lots for a wintertime cabin spot. I don’t remember how many private lots remain but it was more than I would have expected. The lots were minuscule though, but big enough to build a hut on.
    Last edited by RockinB; 01-14-2022 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    I camped out at Monte Cristo for a 13 day stretch for a surveying project a decade ago. Such a cool spot. We were setting all the property corners for the remaining private parcels up there. I drafted the survey that was filed and it is still one of my flagship projects. I spent a few nights hiking around up there and had dreams of buying one of those lots for a wintertime cabin spot. I don’t remember how many private lots remain but it was more than I would have expected. The lots were minuscule though, but big enough to through a hut on.
    Did you do that with Becky?

No, but I’m certain she wishes she was on that trip. I was with a couple old timers who are now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    No, but I’m certain she wishes she was on that trip. I was with a couple old timers who are now retired.
    Cool. I think I’ll go try the crust at the Ridge. Are you coming this way this season?

Hoping to! Possibly toward the middle of March. I have too many irons in the fire on the home front right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Cool. I think I’ll go try the crust at the Ridge. Are you coming this way this season?

I'm thinking about heading up there tomorrow so any beta you have on conditions will be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    My son in laws father wants to meet "halfway" (Portland and North Bend) at White Pass. I've never been there, and am open to check something out new, but seemed like a long drive...He wants to check it out to potentially get a second place there...Not sure 500k is in their second place range though...
    White Pass was my home mountain growing up. I love it there even if I haven't skied there in quite a few years. My family is going down for presidents day weekend this year and it will be the first time my kids will be old enough to really remember skiing it. Most of the terrain caters to intermediate cruiser groomers which are good for kids. The steeper runs at White Pass are good but too short and limited to be interesting for very long. The true beginner terrain is pretty limited.

With that said, I'd love to have a cabin in Packwood or Rimrock Lake. I think that area is kind of an overlooked gem. It's still relatively unpopular with the over-monied Seattle and Portland crowd and there's a lot of remote rural forest service and wilderness land with not too many users. It's just a matter of time though. People will catch on that they can drive an extra hour and get a lot more for their money than they can in Greenwater or Plain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I'm thinking about heading up there tomorrow so any beta you have on conditions will be most appreciated.
    I was up there yesterday (Stevens today) and it was a day to follow the grooming report, especially what had been done in the AM. There was some wet, and it had frozen overnight, but overall there was quite a bit to choose from that rode decently. Would not recommend exploring. From friends today it was pretty clear and blue skies so there's that. I'm thinking I will be up tomorrow, ape-sized snowboarder w/ blue jacket and white helmet
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Groomed runs were decent early getting progressively variable as the day went on. Piles of loose granular mixed with areas of skating rink. Venturing off piste isn’t really fun, trenched refrozen and hard. If you can find something that hasn’t been skied it might be okay, hard crust with a coating of rime. Bring your carving skis.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I always thought that in an alternate Cascadian reality, Monte Cristo could’ve been an alps-style destination with a few gondolas up onto the glaciers at 6000-7000’
    There were several trams to mines there at different points. They have a road there now as part of the mining cleanup. But the entire area, and all the good skiing, is now surrounded by wilderness.

Name:  montecrostoWA1895.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  172.1 KB

If the Alps got as much snow, rain, and weather, as the Cascades, they never would have been able to build all those European ski villages we idealize so much. The Cascades are newer geologically than the Alps, and most other mountain ranges on Earth, which means shitty loose rock that leads to mudslides, rock slides, ect. The North Cascades are also some of the steepest mountains on Earth, if you consider their vertical rise from the valley floors, and also how close each mountain top to valley floor is to one another (a feature of their newness). All of this coupled together would make having a ski area and village in a place like Monte Cristo incredibly difficult to maintain.
    Last edited by altasnob; 01-15-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Snow was loud in the morning @Crustal, frontside softened about 11, good corn crunch happening. Only skiers left of Powder Bowl is open and it was chunky.

Rainier had a cool triple layer lenticular in the morning and the 2 top layers drifted off SE as the day progressed. Sun in and out, inversion. Had a blast rocking the corn on the frontside.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0281_LI.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	401289  
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Managed to thread the needle of high clouds and wicked northernly winds to nail corn o'clock perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	508.2 KB 
ID:	401304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	604.8 KB 
ID:	401305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	401306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	609.9 KB 
ID:	401307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	401308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	408.2 KB 
ID:	401309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	401313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	401311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	401314

The bottom two miles never melted due to the tree cover and shade so they were… terrible is being generous, but the absolutely perfect Juneuary corn from the top down to there was so great that it hardly even mattered.

Going up was fairly interesting since there was a brief sun break around 930 that softened the snow slightly but then the high clouds came back. We pressed on figuring on lots of side slipping and hell… the snow couldn't get worse. Made the rim around 1200 after slogging through a whipping north wind for damn near two hours and the sun came out and the wind died and everything but the top 250' or so was perfect corn when we left the rim at 1230.

Fucking well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    Fucking well played!
    x2

The cloud that filled the crater never went away afaik, which was a bummer for my buddy who's never seen it tho.

Also, almost everyone (including my buddy) switched to boots and crampons but I wanted to play with my new ski crampons and so managed to skin the entire thing, including an ill advised trip into the climber's right of the trail to the gully on the west side of the Swift glacier. The route that looked so sinuously promising on skins turned out to be sheer blue ice on the east side rise that was key to the whole thing… which ultimately led to traversing the gully on ski crampons wishing I a) had my helmet on and b) had my ice axe in my hands.

Kinda surprised wsdot actually plowed to marble mt Sno Park. You only go into that gully on the up once....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk