Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    It was brutal. went with the lady who couldn't leave the 'claw until 8, and had another call at 11:30. Plan was good in theory, grab a few good morning hours and head out. Not so much with 10:15 arrival. Fucking ridiculous.

I'm blacked out next week except this Sunday and am considering going then, but I fear another shitshow of similar (if not worse) epic proportions.
    There were only about 30 cars in F lot when I headed down to GW at noon today.

Good to cruise around a bit and get my legs back. Then ran into Joe S... and got my legs wrecked.

Ski you soon Oft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Godammit there's no apostrophe in Stevens Pass. The guy it was named after was named Stevens, not Steven.

There. Glad I got that off my chest.
    Steve Stevens?

Why I run the other way when I see Joe in line! Look forward to it man!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    There were only about 30 cars in F lot when I headed down to GW at noon today.

Good to cruise around a bit and get my legs back. Then ran into Joe S... and got my legs wrecked.

Ski you soon Oft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Godammit there's no apostrophe in Stevens Pass. The guy it was named after was named Stevens, not Steven.

Take it up with auto correct.

Ah yes, the mythical Steven Pike, who blazed a trail through a mountain pass and founded a fish market in Seattle.

Everyone’s favorite GM posted this on Facebook today. He is taking a good shellacking for it.

“Hello, Stevens Pass Community,

I’m reaching out with a personal message. I know things have been frustrating since our opening last week. The truth is, we’re dealing with a lot of difficult challenges right now, including the staffing shortages facing everyone in the travel + leisure industry. For us, that has impacted our ability to open the mountain the way we know we can, and want to – and I want to apologize to our guests for how that has affected your recent experience.

Stevens Pass is run by people who are deeply passionate about what this mountain has to offer, and I want to thank our team who has been working tirelessly, not only to prepare our mountain for opening, but also to keep it running. They’ve been working so hard, without complaint, in the face of these staffing challenges which are also coming up against our busiest time of year and new dynamics presented by the Omicron variant.

I also want to thank all of our guests, who share that deep love + passion for this beautiful place. It's important to recognize that many of you feel a sense of disappointment, and I want to assure you we are working hard to resolve these issues. It’s frustrating for us, too. We’re dealing with challenges one day at a time, and that means focusing our staff where we can maximize our operations while keeping guest safety as our top priority.

Here’s what this means for right now – please keep in mind things are dynamic. Our goal is to expand our offerings as quickly as possible:

Skyline Express, Brooks Express, Hogsback Express, 7th Heaven, and Daisy are our open chairs; the backside of the mountain is not yet open – we’re working to open as soon as we can.

Night skiing will include terrain accessible from Hogsback Express and Daisy.

Tye Creek Eatery + The Foggy Goggle will remain closed for the time being.

Stevens Pass is truly a special place, and one I’ve been honored to be part of over the last several years. The team + I are committed to providing updates as soon as we’re able. Thank you again for your patience – and understanding – as we move through this season together.

Best,
    Tom Pettigrew – General Manager, Stevens Pass”
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

https://www.facebook.com/30213905597...8214963150598/

The comments are soooo $$$

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Ah yes, the mythical Steven Pike, who blazed a trail through a mountain pass and founded a fish market in Seattle.
    No, those were two guys: Steven Pass and Pike Place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/30213905597...8214963150598/

The comments are soooo $$$

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    We even have our boy Bandit Man dropping the heat in the comments on FB.
    Last edited by phatty; 12-25-2021 at 12:51 AM.

With the amount of money and resources that Vail have they could easily improve the mountains they manage or at the least go well beyond a locally owned hill in terms of guest experience. But its almost as if they want the experience to be poor.

I think its well beyond time to start questioning the monopoly that Vail/Alterra have on public lands and on skiing.

It's all about profits for the shareholders. Fuck the customers.

And yes, revive antitrust.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

OTOH Vail seems to like to change their business model every few years, so maybe they're due to start selling all the local hills they've acquired recently.

OTOH Vail seems to like to change their business model every few years, so maybe they're due to start selling all the local hills they've acquired recently.
    I suspect vail didn’t buy stevens for its potential. They just wanted seattle on the epic pass. Stevens does not have real estate loding or F&B and that is where they make their money, not op ski ops.
    I guess the “value’ of locking in a person to the epic pass is around $15-20k (annual earning potential with 8% yield). The only needed 4000 epic pass converts in the Seattle area to justify the $67m price tag for the resort.
    I’m pretty sure that if we can find raise >$50m through community funding and coownership AND pledge some cooperation with epic (like the Sinclair guys do with snowbasin and sun valley) we could buy it back from vail… Anybody interested ?

Yeah, the only reason for buying Stevens was to sell Epic passes to the Seattle Tech bros and get them out of Seattle to Whistler and Colorado. They don't care about actually running Stevens. What they are now realizing is that many Seattlites want to stay and ski local, want their kids in lessons, etc. If you can't actually run the mountain, you're going to lose those Epic sales. They'll still sell some Epics to the people who do an annual Whistler trip and figure Stevens is a throw in. I'm hoping they get tired of the complaints and sell to an owner who wants to run it. Tie them to Epic for a set period with the sale. Now we just need a group to come forward that isn't Alterra.

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

Wifey got me a Cascade Powder Guide cat ski trip Feb 6th for Xmas.

Did same date 2yrs ago and was fun.

Stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by AK47bp; 12-25-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Wifey got me a Cascade Powder Guide cat ski trip Feb 23rd for Xmas.

Stoked.

Sounds like you got a keeper! I did one day with them 10 yrs ago and it was awesome.

Wifey got me a Cascade Powder Guide cat ski trip Feb 23rd for Xmas.

Stoked.

Nice!

I got a Whistler-Powder Mountain Catskiing trip from a buddy this year. Cat skiing trips are so en vogue this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Nice!

I got a Whistler-Powder Mountain Catskiing trip from a buddy this year. Cat skiing trips are so en vogue this year!
    I need better friends! Merry Xmas PNW skiers.

Nice!

Dang. Nice one.

Dang. Nice one.

I was totally shocked. I think he just wants to borrow some of my skis and figured he’d better just get me to tag along!

I was totally shocked. I think he just wants to borrow some of my skis and figured he’d better just get me to tag along!
    You made out, your buddy just wants a friend to ski with which is awesome.

I’m solo and just ride with whomever they put me with. Worked out last time so hope will be good again.

Anyone have deets on the vailure around 1pm at Stevens today at Granite Peaks Lodge? Tried to go use the bathroom and the employees were standing outside saying the doors were locked and that the fire department was going to have to come.

Daisy, Hogs and Sky were the only chairs operating today. Interested to know how the power outage prevented them running Brooks today. Heard a ton of staff called in today.

I got completely ignored in the Oregon thread so trying here:

is this the place to post for hood/portland? i'm from SLC, but will be in town the 1st week of 2022. Have a full free day friday the 7th. hoping to get a tour in on Mt. Hood or anything else good nearby (i'm a PNW virgin). just looking for someone local to help me out, i'll be in SW portland, if pre-work turns are possible then great, otherwise i'm good waiting till my free day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	398350

Chilly day on the windy hill, and it’s only going to get colder. Good to get a chance to rip around with TAFKLWS.

Crystal was unreal today. Snow in the lowlands kept everyone home. Lifts were ski-on. Chair 6 opened at around 930 with all the South gates open. Since South hadn't been open at all during the storms it was super deep, super empty, and all seemed surprisingly stable.

I put first tracks down Hourglass and when I came back I put second tracks… unreal how few people were hiking to the Throne much less to King or beyond.

Even a 230 lap from the Throne to feel out a new pair of skis ended up here, the only picture I took. (Fatmap says this is the top of Alex's Funnel and the description matches since there was a rock band lower that needed some navigating).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7049.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	411.4 KB 
ID:	398353
    Last edited by ptavv; 12-26-2021 at 09:32 PM.