Page 8 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    anyone else feel like this year's starting out like the year that didn't?
    Not yet.
    If we're not sliding around by 12/20, then I'll start offering sacrifice to Skaadi and Ullr.

That's not to say I'd love to be able to glisse around a little, but Chinook Pass closes so early and when it's been open it's been a shitshow. So I'll sit tight and hope for the PNW fall graupel blaster to start the season. Fall storm skiing is so good when it happens.

Was 04/05 a La Nina? No.
    This year is.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    anyone else feel like this year's starting out like the year that didn't?
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yeah, we're nowhere near a bad year yet. 2 years ago after those atmospheric rivers in late January early February, I thought they were going to shut it down. A week later the mountains were fat and we had an awesome Feb, March and April. I'd love more snow now, but I'll get worried if we aren't skiing at Christmas.

The 8 to 14 doesn't look awful. This is the nature of being a snow sports enthusiast in the PNW. It can go from nothing to fully open better than anywhere else on planet earth.

We just need one good cold air mass from the arctic and we'll be in business. I don't put a lot of stock in the 7+ day products, but the CFS appears to be going all-in on that happening later next week.

Day 1 at the windy hill yesterday. Jerry was out in full force. The ribbon was world cup tight off the summit and approaching nash bump status about halfway down in the T2 choke. Stoked to get some lift-assisted turns off the summit in November!

Lifts running first 2 weeks of November - Exceptional
    Lifts running Thanksgiving weekend - Bonus
    Lifts running first 2 weeks of December - Expected
    Lifts not running by Christmas - Get Nervous
    Lifts not running by New Years - Freak Out
    Lifts not running by MLK - Bust

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    We just need one good cold air mass from the arctic and we'll be in business. I don't put a lot of stock in the 7+ day products, but the CFS appears to be going all-in on that happening later next week.

Day 1 at the windy hill yesterday. Jerry was out in full force. The ribbon was world cup tight off the summit and approaching nash bump status about halfway down in the T2 choke. Stoked to get some lift-assisted turns off the summit in November!
    Thanks for the report, I think I made the right call to make turkey stock and change my oil

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I fucking love that hill, and don’t mind the Gondi ride to start and end the day. Great views from the cab, and plenty of room (and just enough time) for activities with your SO.

A model to follow, IMO.
    Love that hill and when the snow is right the access road is a blast to ride down at the end of the day.

Just went all the way through the uphill travel pass sign up to find that there is a $5 convenience fee at the end… eff that

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Just went all the way through the uphill travel pass sign up to find that there is a $5 convenience fee at the end… eff that
    For all the talk that it was free, I was a bit surprised by that, too. I'd rather just have them be upfront about it. Or add it to your season pass.

Next year I would guess that it will be but this year they already sold a fair number of passes like anything else that’s a significant change in policy there’s probably going to be a couple hiccups
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Next year I would guess that it will be but this year they already sold a fair number of passes like anything else that’s a significant change in policy there’s probably going to be a couple hiccups
    Yeah, that's why I paid my $5. Not a huge deal. I actually think this is a good way to handle things.

I genuflected to the powers that be and paid the $5 for my right--nay, privilege to access the hollowed resort skin tracks.

I tend to drive up early to beat parking woes and road closures and ski a few laps before the lifts spin, so I'm glad this option is still in play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Alright Ive been convinced to put down my pitchfork and donate a 5… bring it on Ullr!!!

Got first tracks down silver fir on Wednesday morning. Ran into a bluehole on the way up that turned the snow from light to much more supportive in real time. Ended up being a blessing as the 15" or so at the top didnt cushion the ground as well as i had hoped... would have been much worse with lighter snow. Still fun to make turns, smash some snow covered baby trees and enjoy the snow. Walked outside this morning to borderline T-shirt temps... smh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211124_163259764.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	394376

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    And....retailers start the clear out the merchandise fire sales

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    Honest question: when was the last time we were NOT skiing by Thanksgiving? '14-15?

'19-20. I drove over to Mission from Snoqualmie/NB in December so I could make some turns before a New Years hut trip.

^ yeah nobody cares. You wore out your welcome here.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Honest question: when was the last time we were NOT skiing by Thanksgiving? '14-15?
    I think Baker is the only semi-consistent area before Thanksgiving, and even then they barely squeak by a few days before. I'd wager Stevens (pre Vail) and Crystal are 50:50 or less by Thanksgiving. Baker opening day 2007-20:

2020 Nov 20
    2019 Dec 15
    2018 Dec 12
    2017 Nov 16
    2016 Nov 25
    2015 Nov 19
    2014 Dec 20
    2013 Nov 21
    2012 Nov 21
    2011 Nov 18
    2010 Nov 20
    2009 Nov 12
    2008 Dec 14
    2007 Nov 29

Updating the Alpy/summit webcams this am on the work computer was disheartening to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Updating the Alpy/summit webcams this am on the work computer was disheartening to say the least.

Its good for the hiking?

Good for the base to saturate the dirt and rocks real good with rain, holds snow better.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Good for the base to saturate the dirt and rocks real good with rain, holds snow better.

Not much else to say but that. MIGHT be looking promising in the long term forecast window, but yeah...we all know how that goes.

This is a pretty crazy stat that was posted today on the NWS Seattle's twitter feed :
    Seattle's new meteorological fall rain record is impressive in its own right, but pales in comparison to what fell in 90 days over parts of the Olympics & Cascades with more than 50 inches.

In Forks, rain in the past 90 days exceeds what Vegas typically gets in 13 years.