Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2035
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    You've really described my feelings exactly, especially how hard it is to acknowledge to myself that it has come to this for me around skiing. It's been an absolutely integral part of my life for so long. Raising kids on the hill, so many great midweek pow days (back before they were reliably so much of a shitshow), the old days of the $169 midweek Alpental pass (before it was so reliably a shitshow) when it was a no-brainer to run up in the morning and get home in the afternoon with some day left. Tuesday mornings there were the best kept secret in the PNW ski world. Well, not so much, but the scene was considerably less populated and it was not unusual to ski right onto the lift at the opening bell when they'd been closed and snowed on all Monday and Monday night.

I know things change (spare me the youthful lectures please), but the whole experience is so degraded from those days, and the experience of those days is how skiing is in my heart and soul. When it's become a battle to have a good time it might be time to shift the paradigm. And I fucking hate hearing myself say that out loud. It feels like I'm betraying something I love. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a pass.

Fuck.
    It's all that compounded for me at least by the big shift of retirement and loss of purpose as the fledglings depart among failing health and deepening cultural alienation. I think I paid $69 for the midweek Alpy pass circa 1983.

Somehow, though, all that makes me more determined to work around it and lower my expectations and do things differently, like showing up late, which I __never__ used to do. Being late sometimes dovetails well with rope drops and I really am ok skiing cut up snow as long as it's soft. I look forward to trips all year long which have been great.

Life changes, we roll with the punches and since humans are best at adapting, that's what I'm going to do. Above all, I'm a skier, it's been my thing, my refuge before all the fancy people decided it was cool.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

And I fucking hate hearing myself say that out loud. It feels like I'm betraying something I love. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a pass.

Fuck.
    My brother, with whom I'm very close, and a very dedicated and passionate skier - finally called me out on it last year. And he's not wrong.

I was the guy that left the PNWet so I could ski big mountains and live in a real ski town. Somewhere with a real winter. And I did that. It spoiled me and completely upped my reality of what skiing, and life as a skier, could be. Returning the PNWet has been an annual reminder that shit is different and that, even after six seasons, I need to work on adjusting my attitude.

This has caused me to travel far more to ski at the expense of fewer ski days. My winters are now supplemented by trips to the high desert for motorcycle riding, or getting out on the bike on the wet side when it's not raining.

All this reminds me, and it should you, that the only constant in life is change. Sometimes that's hard and it sucks.

FWIW, I did pop for an Ikon and one at my local hill. That's nearly $2k before any trips or anything else. And even then, that doesn't guarantee a spot in a parking lot or a lift reservation. Woof...

But here I am, hopeful yet again for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It's all that compounded for me at least by the big shift of retirement and loss of purpose as the fledglings depart among failing health and deepening cultural alienation. I think I paid $69 for the midweek Alpy pass circa 1983.

Somehow, though, all that makes me more determined to work around it and lower my expectations and do things differently, like showing up late, which I __never__ used to do. Being late sometimes dovetails well with rope drops and I really am ok skiing cut up snow as long as it's soft. I look forward to trips all year long which have been great.

Life changes, we roll with the punches and since humans are best at adapting, that's what I'm going to do. Above all, I'm a skier, it's been my thing, my refuge before all the fancy people decided it was cool.
    Those last two points...

If you show up not late enough, lots are still full. However, if you time it right, it's a great way to swing-shift ski into the night if your local hill has lights. I need to do that more.

When did all the fancy people think it was cool? I remember a time here on the ye olde TRGz when there was considerable hand-wringing about the industry numbers, amount of new skiers. Now, shit's busier than ever!

That's twice now I've heard "things change" from you homies. Duh. Of course they do. I mentioned that. When things change we decide how we want to deal with the change. For me the change is enough of an override of the fun that my decision will likely take me in a different direction, and that I may well be relinquishing the "skier" identity I've carried for a long time. And that makes me really sad.

I've been realizing that that identity has kept me going in the activity even though the way I've been doing it for the last couple of years has really left me often going home with a bad taste in my mouth. Is it worth it? Maybe not to me. If it is to y'all that's great, but like I wrote before, please spare me the "only thing permanent in life is change" stuff. I fucking know that. I've seen a few tough changes in my life.

I probably won't stop skiing, but it will probably look a lot different than it has for the last 40+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Hey, sorry, didn't mean to come off lecturing, just chatting about how I'm dealing with the obvious trying to empathize.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-06-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Can anyone speak to how smokey it is in the Leavenworth/Wenatchee area? We're supposed to be there for a few weeks bouldering and since that's not much of an aerobic activity we're ok with it being a bit smokey but not if you don't even want to be outside. Thanks.
    We just drove from home(Wenatchee) to our cabin at lake Wenatchee, the air quality in the valley is pretty terrible. Progressively worse as you drive up valley. I wouldn’t want to exercise outside in Leavenworth or up the Icicle, you can smell and taste the smoke. I don’t think there will be a significant improvement until it rains and we get some wind to clear out the smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That's twice now I've heard "things change" from you homies. Duh. Of course they do. I mentioned that. When things change we decide how we want to deal with the change. For me the change is enough of an override of the fun that my decision will likely take me in a different direction, and that I may well be relinquishing the "skier" identity I've carried for a long time. And that makes me really sad.

I've been realizing that that identity has kept me going in the activity even though the way I've been doing it for the last couple of years has really left me often going home with a bad taste in my mouth. Is it worth it? Maybe not to me. If it is to y'all that's great, but like I wrote before, please spare me the "only thing permanent in life is change" stuff. I fucking know that. I've seen a few tough changes in my life.

I probably won't stop skiing, but it will probably look a lot different than it has for the last 40+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Hey, sorry, didn't mean to come off lecturing, just chatting about how I'm dealing with the obvious trying to empathize.
    Yup, same. All good, offpiste. I'm going through the same thing you are. I feel you.

Hope I get to make some turns again with ya at some point Oft. Skiing may look different but the fall line remains the same.

I'll even bring some change...

for a nickel.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

I recall coming to the PNW from much warmer Southern climates almost 20-years ago and realizing I traded sunshine for amazing terrain and snow conditions. I recall people telling me to not ski on the weekends and complaining about the heavy maritime snowpack. No way, this place was skier nirvana. I wondered how long it would it “fly under the radar” and I suppose now I have an answer. Glad I got to be so spoiled by this place.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    We just drove from home(Wenatchee) to our cabin at lake Wenatchee, the air quality in the valley is pretty terrible. Progressively worse as you drive up valley. I wouldn’t want to exercise outside in Leavenworth or up the Icicle, you can smell and taste the smoke. I don’t think there will be a significant improvement until it rains and we get some wind to clear out the smoke.

Thanks to all. It looks like we made the right call and went to Utah.

Today was the worst I’ve seen it, and it has been pretty bad all week. Finally cleared up a bit around 4 so we got outside to run the kids around.

Going to make a game time decision on Saturday to head east and camp just to get a break from the smoke if things don’t clear up.

Sorry to hear the smoke is persistent. We took a last minute vacation to the west coast of Vancouver Island and it is beautiful here with great weather and clean air.

Man, the nostalgia is running deep in here, and I know where you all are coming from.

We pulled the plug and bailed from the PNW this year, for a myriad of reasons, and I thought leaving my home mountain there would be the hardest part. It still will be, but the shift these recent years made it so much easier.

I’ll miss most my family - blood and chosen - from that mountain. I’ll miss shit snow lonely king laps. I’ll miss taking a photo of Mt. Rainier every.damn.time she’s out.

We’re skiers. We’ll be at the new home mountain every day we can. Hope to settle in to a new ski community here, and a smaller hometown ski area scene. Want my kids to experience skiing without so much effort to make it happen.

I’m sure this new place will have its own shit show, but at least there isn’t even an ikon or epic affiliated resort within 200 miles of here. We’ll give ‘er a go.

For nostalgia, and for the season ahead:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7006.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	429016
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

Good luck, J, I'll miss seeing you out there.

The place will not be the same without you JP, T, F & B.

We'll look forward to seeing C and J in the early crowd even more than previously. And make sure Jim has a glass full at the elk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    Today was the worst I’ve seen it, and it has been pretty bad all week. Finally cleared up a bit around 4 so we got outside to run the kids around.

Going to make a game time decision on Saturday to head east and camp just to get a break from the smoke if things don’t clear up.
    Right now it’s nothing compared to 2012 with the Table Mt and Peavine fires. There’s places to escape the smoke here though, it takes some effort and imagination. I hear that the Enchantment core is relatively smoke free right now. I’m keeping quiet about my other go to spots to escape though.

As for fleeing the PNW, no way. I’m here for the long haul, no better place than home

Right now it’s nothing compared to 2012 with the Table Mt and Peavine fires. There’s places to escape the smoke here though, it takes some effort and imagination. I hear that the Enchantment core is relatively smoke free right now. I’m keeping quiet about my other go to spots to escape though.

As for fleeing the PNW, no way. I’m here for the long haul, no better place than home

Icicle has been good. I’ve also got my spots, just requires a bit more driving than I like to do or am able to during the week.

And I’m with you on sticking around. Sad to hear about so many folks on the way out, but everywhere has it’s issues and the PNW is where I’m at for the long haul. It has changed a ton since I first settled down here, but it’s still the place I’m ready to come back to after many trips away.

Thanks Brit and Buster. Will miss you all, and Crystal for sure.

Nothing against the PNW, the WA cascades are a pretty special mountain range, and I will miss them. Been fun exploring a new area this summer. Bring on winter.
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

I’ve missed truly cold winters a bit since moving here 9 years ago; when I venture back to intermountain climates I’m stunned by clear, cold days.
    BUT! At the risk of drawing fire from locals, a solution I’d suggest to feelings of sadness about PNW winter, is to come to the east side and put on some climbing skins. I’m bummed enough with Stevens to skip a pass this year, but I still think this is an incredible place to live and play.
    Of course, life has many other features, such as career and family…

Gravity always wins...

Does anyone know of any Ski Movies that primarily feature Stevens? I've been looking for videos of people skiing some of the sketchier lines off of Cowboy but haven't come across much. Every so often I'll see tracks coming out of those summit chutes but I've never caught anyone dropping in.

Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Does anyone know of any Ski Movies that primarily feature Stevens? I've been looking for videos of people skiing some of the sketchier lines off of Cowboy but haven't come across much. Every so often I'll see tracks coming out of those summit chutes but I've never caught anyone dropping in.
    Bobby Brown's segment from Attack of La Nina, but that's basically all park stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Bobby Brown's segment from Attack of La Nina, but that's basically all park stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Inspo is inspo, I'll check it out!

Found this one I hadn't seen, a lot of snowboarding but there are some big drops off Cowboy -

Hey I am coming from New England to a work meeting in Portland OR in January and would like to get some days at Bachelor (IKONOCLASTIC).
    Ideally I would not rent a car and take a bus or something out there and stay someplace that I can take a bus to ski each day. But it should come in same or cheaper than renting a car for few days.
    I am not finding anything to do this. Is there public transport or shuttle or something for this? Or should I suck it up and rent a car and pollute more and create traffic.
    Any other tips appreciated. Places to stay or whatever. budget=LOW.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Hey I am coming from New England to a work meeting in Portland OR in January and would like to get some days at Bachelor (IKONOCLASTIC).
    Ideally I would not rent a car and take a bus or something out there and stay someplace that I can take a bus to ski each day. But it should come in same or cheaper than renting a car for few days.
    I am not finding anything to do this. Is there public transport or shuttle or something for this? Or should I suck it up and rent a car and pollute more and create traffic.
    Any other tips appreciated. Places to stay or whatever. budget=LOW.
    Are you staying in PDX? If so, you're gonna have a bad commute.

Check out the OR thread. Confusingly, the PNW thread is just for WA.

Once you get to Bend there is a bus you can take to Bachy. Not sure about PDX to Bend via bus. You could probably fly to Redmond and bus it from there, but that's not terribly efficient.

I was going to go for a few days midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Are you staying in PDX? If so, you're gonna have a bad commute.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms