Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Beating a dead horse: we need more ski areas in the PNW.
    We need snow. There are really no area outside Wilderness and or National Parks that has the elevation to sustain ski areas in the long term. Bummer but that’s the reality of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Beating a dead horse: we need more ski areas in the PNW.
    There needs to be a sacrificial lamb from each state in the west, where some prime piece of public land it is turned into a high-elevation ski area. Publicly-owned, with a flair of the European ski experience (gondolas/trams to mountain tops).

A far-fetched dream for sure. But a dream nonetheless.

yer talkin' bout sliver mountain...... gondi to the top, fuck roads.

At least Stevens moved the park back to Brooks, so we got that going for us.

This going to cook some people’s goose, but like I was saying changes are a comin’ to the uphill travel policy at The Summit
    http://https://summitatsnoqualmie.co...Ra21W3UnWHm4mc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFB70959-F76C-4691-AD6A-01DD5C117120.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	394184
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Wow.

Name:	Uphill Travel Policy.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	394185

Wait wasn’t uphill travel banned last year at Alpy during the operating season? Maybe I’m mistaken…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

This now includes sidecountry

https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/uphill-travel-policy

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Wow.

Name:	Uphill Travel Policy.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	717.9 KB 
ID:	394185

Something had to be done the uphill travel was getting out of hand, several times last year avalanche control work was interrupted by uphill travelers, people were going pretty much wherever they felt like whenever they felt like it, large groups on open runs night and day, people with their dogs on open runs, uphill travel in the Backbowls while patrol was trying to do ski cutting, too many people are using the ski areas for uphill travel these days
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Something had to be done the uphill travel was getting out of hand, several times last year avalanche control work was interrupted by uphill travelers, people were going pretty much wherever they felt like whenever they felt like it, large groups on open runs night and day, people with their dogs on open runs, uphill travel in the Backbowls while patrol was trying to do ski cutting, too many people are using the ski areas for uphill travel these days
    Yea. It’s been insanely crowded the last couple years and only getting worse. When “adventure” vans full of first timers with paid guides started showing up, it was only a matter of time.

The source lake route to areas outside the ski area special use permit area is still allowed when lifts are spinning. So why is anyone pissed about this? Are people really hiking up the in bounds stuff when Alpental is open? I've done some dumb things in my day, but I never would think to do something that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    The source lake route to areas outside the ski area special use permit area is still allowed when lifts are spinning. So why is anyone pissed about this? Are people really hiking up the in bounds stuff when Alpental is open? I've done some dumb things in my day, but I never would think to do something that stupid.

I see a bunch ski lesson parents drop their kids at lessons and then head up the side of Sessel and out into Snakedance. Yes, it happens plenty.

You mean like the group of 10 skinning up hummocks last year?

Or maybe it was two years ago when there were people skinning up sessel while patrol was bombing. Seemed like a special kind of stupid.

Yes, that stupid and more, I almost took out two snowshoers hiking up Suckers prior to opening it, people travel uphill in Elevator Shaft, Trash Can area, and about anywhere else they feel like it

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You mean like the group of 10 skinning up hummocks last year?

Or maybe it was two years ago when there were people skinning up sessel while patrol was bombing. Seemed like a special kind of stupid.
    A few years ago three guys were skinning up Lower Internationale had they started a half hour earlier they would have been buried and since they didn’t have a transceiver on between them we probably wouldn’t have known it until long after the fact, this was later in the season when slides can run a lot further than most people would expect

The route marked in green is not too bad once you figure it out. There is overall less exposure to overhead avalanche hazard once you get it dialed. West is better for fitness laps anyway.

Man this is great news IMO. I've had many close calls with skinners out there, especially on the return trail but elsewhere as well.

Hope the policy is indicated clearly with much signage, etc. There's a lot of re-training to do.

Suggestion:

"Scan this QR code to download the Summit app, which now has a map tool that uses your phone's GPS to keep your ass out of the closure area and on the proper up track instead, ya screen-dependent bit jockey"

... or something. I think folks are gonna need hand-holding to stay on course.

Edit: I just read the uphill travel page linked above and it's obvious that the resort has put a lot of effort into the issue.

They even provide KMZ files for the uphill routes at West, Central, and East... lol. I was half joking above. Perhaps they don't want to be steering people into more serious potential risk by making a track file for the Alpy valley. Lawyers n all.

The Uphill Pass is a big change. A free season pass for any/all inbounds uphill use, mailed in advance, and no daily passes available.

I love that tourons have to park at the lowest lot at Alpy... that was a nice change last year, even though there were still a lot of passholders parking in lot 4 just to go touring.

Thanks, Summit.
    Last edited by Norseman; 11-27-2021 at 05:30 AM.

Ditto - and for regulating access to Hyak parking. I would not have been able to get a couple days in with the kiddo had they not restricted access to resort users.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Man this is great news IMO. I've had many close calls with skinners out there, especially on the return trail but elsewhere as well.

Hope the policy is indicated clearly with much signage, etc. There's a lot of re-training to do.

Suggestion:

"Scan this QR code to download the Summit app, which now has a map tool that uses your phone's GPS to keep your ass out of the closure area and on the proper up track instead, ya screen-dependent bit jockey"

... or something. I think folks are gonna need hand-holding to stay on course.

Edit: I just read the uphill travel page linked above and it's obvious that the resort has put a lot of effort into the issue.

They even provide KMZ files for the uphill routes at West, Central, and East... lol. I was half joking above. Perhaps they don't want to be steering people into more serious potential risk by making a track file for the Alpy valley. Lawyers n all.

The Uphill Pass is a big change. A free season pass for any/all inbounds uphill use, mailed in advance, and no daily passes available.

I love that tourons have to park at the lowest lot at Alpy... that was a nice change last year, even though there were still a lot of passholders parking in lot 4 just to go touring.

Thanks, Summit.

This year is going to be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Wait wasn’t uphill travel banned last year at Alpy during the operating season? Maybe I’m mistaken…
    I dont understand whats getting people upset here....

Only difference I am seeing from seasons past, is the very limited uphill travel that was allowed at Alpental during operational season is now gone. As far as heading up the side access stuff, to my knowledge that was never allowed, and who would want to anyway?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I dont understand whats getting people upset here....
    No negative comments posted here yet... where are you reading that people are upset?

It's been a few season since I skied the in bounds, patroled back bowls or the true backcountry at Alpental (i.e. Pineapple Pass area) but from what I can tell, they are now requiring backcountry travelers to take the low route to source lake, along the creek drainage. As Norse points out, there is sometimes conflict between downhill/uphill on the typical uphill/downhill route (red line). Although I have never had conflict going up because you are normally heading up in the morning before anyone from the lifts is coming down. As kamtron says, the lower, longer route to Source Lake may add a few minutes but no big deal (green line). I assume backcountry travelers returning will still use the red line to come down (because it has better fall line and is faster) and while this is technically against the policy, no one will know (or care).

Name:	Alp.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	377.8 KB 
ID:	394236

Seems fair to me. They are still allowing uphill backcountry to use the groomed cat track at the bottom but must stay single file and to the right. That roll right out of the parking lot is where you have the greatest chance of a downhill skier obliterating an uphill skinner. I have always been afraid that Alpental would require backcountry skiers to use the summer trail that is on the North side of the creek. This is not only the longer, slower route, it also passes through some small openings that could expose uphill travelers to avy danger.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

anyone else feel like this year's starting out like the year that didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    anyone else feel like this year's starting out like the year that didn't?
    I feel like it’s a fairly normal start. Maybe a bit warmer than usual but December is usually fairly warm with some higher elevation rain. We’ll see. A couple decent cold storms and we’ll forget all about it.

Or it could be a repeat of 04/05

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    yer talkin' bout sliver mountain...... gondi to the top, fuck roads.
    I fucking love that hill, and don’t mind the Gondi ride to start and end the day. Great views from the cab, and plenty of room (and just enough time) for activities with your SO.

A model to follow, IMO.