Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2035
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Riff, looks like winter snow in the Finger? How high did things soften, and how was the sastrugi/wind-buff/ice up high? Curiously collecting data points for future windows with similar conditions. I've only been up there later season when it was corn to the top.
    Corn began just below 10k in the Finger,and skied really well all the way to the bridge! Sastrugi on the summit dome was incredibly harsh water ice claws, (we walked down about 700 ft before putting on skis), chalky wind buff from there to the upper Nisqually, then 80’ vert of scary nearly blue ice before the transition to corn skiing in the Finger. I think the ice is isolated to the mid and lower mountain, either a melt/freeze or result of some wind driven fog. Once you get low enough it was soft and skiable. I carried and used ice screws getting on and off the Nisqually. Lovely night on the Wilson shoulder too. Really great overall!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Corn began just below 10k in the Finger,and skied really well all the way to the bridge! Sastrugi on the summit dome was incredibly harsh water ice claws, (we walked down about 700 ft before putting on skis), chalky wind buff from there to the upper Nisqually, then 80’ vert of scary nearly blue ice before the transition to corn skiing in the Finger. I think the ice is isolated to the mid and lower mountain, either a melt/freeze or result of some wind driven fog. Once you get low enough it was soft and skiable. I carried and used ice screws getting on and off the Nisqually. Lovely night on the Wilson shoulder too. Really great overall!

Saw you guys cruising the lower Nisqually from the heinous icefest up on the snowfield. Looked like a blast, congrats!

Stokeage, thanks riff

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post

Nice, man.

I spied some blue patches on the upper mountain from afar that looked scary, but I'm glad to hear that it wasn't widespread. I thought coverage up high actually looked pretty damn good for the date.

Also glad to hear of the wind-polish being somewhat confined in elevation. That shit was pretty stout between 5k and 7k on the Cushman crest on Tuesday on less solar slopes but we didn't venture higher.

Sweet turns to the bridge are a fave.

Thanks for the info, Riff!

Norseman: bridge turns are fun, we'll have to do that again some time

SW face of Lichtenberg was nice and smooth up top yesterday. That quickly gave way to variable conditions into trees then full on refrozen tree bombed survival skiing exiting the drainage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8E7F321-AF05-4EA1-A28D-CEF1427BADC2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	403536

So I managed to remain calm over the past 3 weeks as the snow has disappeared but it looks like we’re at least 2 weeks out from anything resembling a storm showing up.

Is it time to panic?

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    So I managed to remain calm over the past 3 weeks as the snow has disappeared but it looks like we’re at least 2 weeks out from anything resembling a storm showing up.

Is it time to panic?

Sigh.

Is it time to panic?

You mean other than the one that's dropped 8" so far at Alpental in past the 24hrs with another 12" forecast in the next 24hrs?

never panic
    until the skipper panics
    then its time

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    You mean other than the one that's dropped 8" so far at Alpental in past the 24hrs with another 12" forecast in the next 24hrs?
    shhhh dude, you're supposed to prolong the dismay, capped by a fomo-inducing pow picture or three after it's all skied up

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    shhhh dude, you're supposed to prolong the dismay, capped by a fomo-inducing pow picture or three after it's all skied up
    Damnit! Sorry guys. New reports are that all snow figures are way exaggerated.

I'd say we got somewhere around 15-18in here near Stevens. Still some windscoured/tree bombed areas, but places at Yodelin were certainly deep today. Night and day after last two weeks.

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	403847
    Hardly worth the effort….best to wait for the next cycle.

Gravity always wins...

Is it time to panic?

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no internet points, and may God have mercy on your soul

If you guys could let some of that moisture escape to the INW that would be great, mmmkaaayyy.

Quick trip up this past weekend, no skiing but Mama looking good

Name:	Image1643748330.899541.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	403974

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/...al-winter.html

Sometimes a good hand turn out to be a bust. Visiting the in-laws in early March, for the greater good of course. You're welcome.

Making lemonade out of lemons over at Mission. Fantastic groomers and some OG MX 83s make groomers great again

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2022/...al-winter.html

Sometimes a good hand turn out to be a bust. Visiting the in-laws in early March, for the greater good of course. You're welcome.
    As Duncan Howat would say, "Cliff Mass is full of shit"

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

Skied Vail Fail up on Hwy 2 today. The backside had been closed since Sunday and opened today (via Tye Mill and Jupiter). Got my first fresh laps on the backside this season. Felt good but also a bit disgusting since you knew there were amazing turns up off of Schimm’s/Big Chief Bowl/Wild Katz/Southern Cross, but you had to hike to get them. What a shame.

Got four laps off the back before the hordes arrived and clogged Jupiter. Backside skied well up high and really heavy down low…just like always.

Made our way back to the frontside and skied soft groomers with nearly ski on lifts for the rest of the day. Did get some really nice turns off of the short but fun Winnie Chutes before they got nuked.

Big Chief won’t run until tomorrow, so there should be some soft turns off of that lift for the Saturday Jerry’s.

Almost felt like my home mountain. Almost.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    A few of us were at the nwac when Duncan called in dying to know if the incoming storm was going to be rain or snow. I’m sure it has happened numerous times since. I don’t blame him of course and I think or hope Cliff Mass is full of shit as well. The blocking patterns have been around long before Cliff Mass made his way over here.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    The comments are better than the post, particularly this one:

UnknownFebruary 4, 2022 at 6:15 AM
    You are a deceiver. Right now there are 6 or 7 high pressure centers from the pacific to the mid to upper midwest. Totally unnatural. Two days ago a low pressure vortex was spinning inside a high pressure dome. Unnarural. Massive weather manipulation all over the world. Just do some research as it is not even hidden any more.Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Skied Vail Fail up on Hwy 2 today. The backside had been closed since Sunday and opened today (via Tye Mill and Jupiter). Got my first fresh laps on the backside this season. Felt good but also a bit disgusting since you knew there were amazing turns up off of Schimm’s/Big Chief Bowl/Wild Katz/Southern Cross, but you had to hike to get them. What a shame.

Got four laps off the back before the hordes arrived and clogged Jupiter. Backside skied well up high and really heavy down low…just like always.

Made our way back to the frontside and skied soft groomers with nearly ski on lifts for the rest of the day. Did get some really nice turns off of the short but fun Winnie Chutes before they got nuked.

Big Chief won’t run until tomorrow, so there should be some soft turns off of that lift for the Saturday Jerry’s.

Almost felt like my home mountain. Almost.
    Dude it's a 15 minute hike. You could make front side pow laps all day. It's as long of a walk as going up the king at Crystal or bowl 4 at mission. It really makes the skiing better with dd closed.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Dude it's a 15 minute hike. You could make front side pow laps all day. It's as long of a walk as going up the king at Crystal or bowl 4 at mission. It really makes the skiing better with dd closed.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah I'm not gonna lie, an open Jupiter, closed SC, and adequately controlled but not spinning DD actually sounds like a great time. Thin out the low effort crowd.