4” new
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652564197.753924.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	416386
    5-6” of mixed graupel and snow in the Wenatchee Mountains above 5000’. Like really crumbly styrofoam, skied great where it wasn’t windfucked. Felt like winter, it was 18 and windy on top of Wenatchee Mt. at 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Paywalled out. Didn't realize anyone lived out there! When I was a wee lad that point was part of our boyscout orienteering course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hell yeah Norse

Maybe this link gets around paywall

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...lation-of-one/

Protected Habitat, for a Population of One

Fifty years ago, Marty Bluewater fought to keep his home among the nesting birds of Protection Island. Now he’s fighting for the birds.

Mr. Bluewater, 72, is the only person to have a lifetime tenancy on the roughly 370-acre, two-mile-long island.

Mr. Bluewater, 23 in 1971, saw the island and fell in love. With help from his parents, he purchased land on a high bluff for $7,000.

The Nature Conservancy and other environmental groups fought development of the island, and in 1982, Protection Island was designated a National Wildlife Refuge. The landowners were offered buyouts, and the handful of those who had already built homes were offered residencies for 15 years, 25 years or lifetime use. Mr. Bluewater was the only one who chose the lifelong option.

The island is now closed to the public, and boats without special permission must stay 200 feet away from the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

I love the Fairyslipper picture. I remember hiking around my grandma's place and her showing me where some grew. Later I found some in the woods behind my parents house. Both of those areas have been logged and I wonder what came of the orchids.

vibing out to the purr of the wagon and the classic rock station out of Victoria. Canadian radio commercials are amusing; lumberjack festivals and highschool sports.
    Great pics man, sounds like an awesome day. Funny you mention that Victoria radio station, when we lived on Whidbey we listened to that station all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Great pics man, sounds like an awesome day. Funny you mention that Victoria radio station, when we lived on Whidbey we listened to that station all the time.
    Scott James on the Q! midday show

Awesome Norse!

Wild... I had no clue about him. Funny to think of him chilling in his shack, staring across the channel at the Cape George Buicks and Bridge Club crew.

Norse - Great pics and adventure. That looks like a fun little zone on the bikes. Looks like we'll be driving up to Quilcene in August and bringing our bikes. We rode Port Gamble last summer; might have to come north this time.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

Norse - Great pics and adventure. That looks like a fun little zone on the bikes. Looks like we'll be driving up to Quilcene in August and bringing our bikes. We rode Port Gamble last summer; might have to come north this time.
    It's not rad or big but it's refreshingly different, and super quiet. Have you ridden the stuff up the Dungeness?

~~~

back to skiing... couple recent cool TRs on TAY:

https://turns-all-year.com/trip-repo...ace-ne-couloir

https://turns-all-year.com/trip-repo...umquat-couloir

Outstanding work by everyone! Thanks for the inspiration, lots of spring left and up high it feels like it hasn’t even started yet…

Gravity always wins...

Great TR Norse, I'm getting ready to move back to the peninsula after a few years in Utah - love to see the snowpack and Canadian radio waves are still strong.

Name:	Image1652740308.328812.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	416609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652740323.116115.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	416610
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Name:	Image1652746780.416511.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	997.1 KB 
ID:	416624

From a great weekend up North

Thread drift but.... here's another one:
    https://www.washingtonnature.org/yellowisland

My folks had house on nearby Shaw Island in the 60's/70's, and we used to go visit the Dodds who had homesteaded and owned Yellow before TNC got it from their kids. They lived in a the coolest driftwood house in very spartan conditions and were quite content.

house vid at 3:45 https://dashpointpirate.typepad.com/...hil-green.html

history here: http://www.willhiteweb.com/washingto...slands_298.htm

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Maybe this link gets around paywall

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...lation-of-one/

Protected Habitat, for a Population of One

Fifty years ago, Marty Bluewater fought to keep his home among the nesting birds of Protection Island. Now he’s fighting for the birds.

Mr. Bluewater, 72, is the only person to have a lifetime tenancy on the roughly 370-acre, two-mile-long island.

Mr. Bluewater, 23 in 1971, saw the island and fell in love. With help from his parents, he purchased land on a high bluff for $7,000.

The Nature Conservancy and other environmental groups fought development of the island, and in 1982, Protection Island was designated a National Wildlife Refuge. The landowners were offered buyouts, and the handful of those who had already built homes were offered residencies for 15 years, 25 years or lifetime use. Mr. Bluewater was the only one who chose the lifelong option.

The island is now closed to the public, and boats without special permission must stay 200 feet away from the shore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Phil's Sneak in Green Valley is about done too, cliffs are melted out.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Name:  snow 5-18-22.gif
Views: 503
Size:  76.0 KB

also... happy 42nd anniversary of the St Helens eruption

Name:  snow 5-18-22.gif
Views: 503
Size:  76.0 KB

also... happy 42nd anniversary of the St Helens eruption

That looks like a picture my mom took on the day of the eruption, we flew down in my step dad’s Cessna and flew around that side of the mountain for a while after refueling at PDX.

It was the cover of the Arlington Times the next day and made into postcards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Nat'l Park News Release

ASHFORD, Wash. – A team of two climbers was rescued by helicopter from the Kautz Climbing Route on May 13, 2022.

On May 13, the USAR F Company 2-135th Chinook helicopter with the 304th Air Rescue Squadron out of Portland, Oregon on board, attempted an early morning rescue operation which was unsuccessful due to heavy and erratic winds. They returned several hours later to assess conditions and extricated the first climber by hoist from the Kautz Glacier surface.

Later that afternoon the National Park Service Contract Helicopter 25CL inserted a team of four Mount Rainier National Park climbing rangers at 13,000’ on the mountain. The team climbed down to the incident location where they accessed and removed the second climber from 80’ deep inside the crevasse that he had fallen into. He was then extracted from the glacier surface by short-haul by the 25CL helicopter.

Deep snow, strong and erratic winds, and limited visibility at the accident site caused significant challenges for National Park Service and military rescue teams.

On Wednesday, May 11, 8:10PM, the party reported via a 911 call that adverse weather had forced them to halt their ascent at 12,800’ on the Kautz Glacier climbing route just below the Wapowety Cleaver. The party did not initially request assistance. In a subsequent call on May 12, at 7:30AM, the party indicated that they were still mobile and planning to attempt a descent of the Disappointment Cleaver Route. Progress of the team was monitored through cell phone signal.

Three hours later, at 10:30AM, the subjects reported that one member of the party had fallen into a large crevasse sustaining arm and leg injuries. The individual in the crevasse was able to establish cell phone contact with Mount Rainier National Park Dispatch and his partner on the glacier’s surface but they were unable to self-rescue. Terrain and weather prohibited immediate rescue efforts. Planning for aviation and ground team response moved forward for implementation when conditions permit.

A CH-47 Chinook from USAR F Company 2-135th GSAB and members of USAF 304th Air Rescue Squadron out of Portland, Oregon, National Park Service climbing rangers, and the Mount Rainier National Park contract helicopter, owned and operated by Hillsboro Aviation, were involved in the operation.
    https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/...nt-rainier.htm

Name:  kautz rescue may 2022.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  65.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    That looks like a picture my mom took on the day of the eruption, we flew down in my step dad’s Cessna and flew around that side of the mountain for a while after refueling at PDX.

It was the cover of the Arlington Times the next day and made into postcards.

Wow.

You got to fly around an erupting volcano?

Can’t even imagine how awesome that would be.

Awesome work by the climbing rangers to extract the climber from the crevasse and package for the heli ride. Looks like a sketchy area to linger.

PNW 2021/2022 Season! La Niña ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Wow.

You got to fly around an erupting volcano?

Can’t even imagine how awesome that would be.

Yeah, unforgettable and mildly terrifying. My mom, sister and I were doing yard work at our place northeast of Stanwood. We heard an explosion but though nothing of it because people routinely blasted stumps around there. My stepdad was at Arlington airport working on the plane. He called home with the news and told us to get down to the airport.