Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Part of the roads sucking around 26/35 is the covid bubble still around us

Little indoor recreation (movies, malls, restaurants, bowling, whatever...) available in town, or people are reasonably leery of indoor spaces

And folks are heading up to get some snow on the nice days...and, of course, we're seeing ski parking tested with less carpooling (staff & riders)

Not sure I'd throw all this at the resort ticketing strategy at all -- we've not gone IKON yet
    They did limit season passes again this year

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Part of the roads sucking around 26/35 is the covid bubble still around us

Little indoor recreation (movies, malls, restaurants, bowling, whatever...) available in town, or people are reasonably leery of indoor spaces

And folks are heading up to get some snow on the nice days...and, of course, we're seeing ski parking tested with less carpooling (staff & riders)

Not sure I'd throw all this at the resort ticketing strategy at all -- we've not gone IKON yet
    They did limit season passes again this year
    Seems like there’s only a few feasible ways to reduce number of vehicles on the road:

1) reduce ticket sales
    2) limit parking via reservation system
    3) improved Public transportation, say 10x the number of shuttles from pdx, incentive travel on public transportation somehow - with cheaper passes?
    4) convince people that skiing sucks and do something else

We’ve learned ticket reservation systems don’t really work, right? Crustal is an active case study in parking reservations, outcome tbd. Option 3 not realizable due to covid.

#4 is my favorite option

Whenever I'm in a lift line I try to talk loudly about how awesome television is. And watching sports. I figure a little positive reinforcement to get people off the slopes doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Seems like there’s only a few feasible ways to reduce number of vehicles on the road:

1) reduce ticket sales
    2) limit parking via reservation system
    3) improved Public transportation, say 10x the number of shuttles from pdx, incentive travel on public transportation somehow - with cheaper passes?
    4) convince people that skiing sucks and do something else

We’ve learned ticket reservation systems don’t really work, right? Crustal is an active case study in parking reservations, outcome tbd. Option 3 not realizable due to covid.

#4 is my favorite option
    MEADOWS SUX, HOOD RIVER SUX, I84 SUX

Timberline is awesome, Summit is even better !

Create an actual incentive for carpooling. When mhm tells me I can't park in the main lot with 3 people in a 23ft vehicle but 3 other people each being 17ft SUV, how is that helping? I should get a fucking medal for combating parking lot congestion. The camper also means 3 fewer people pissing in the lodge. Gah!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Create an actual incentive for carpooling. When mhm tells me I can't park in the main lot with 3 people in a 23ft vehicle but 3 other people each being 17ft SUV, how is that helping? I should get a fucking medal for combating parking lot congestion. The camper also means 3 fewer people pissing in the lodge. Gah!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Excellent idea, carpooling incentives like $$$ towards a next year's pass. But, how to implement? And yes... if you are coming up in a sprinter van or small camper with 4 people it's better than coming up with one in there.
    Last edited by CnRzG; 01-12-2022 at 11:50 AM.

This is definitely not a MHM problem, it's a Mt Hood problem

Portland's metro population has by 10% in the last 10 years. Over 500,000

This is happening all over from the backlash of cheap passes. Want to fix the problem, passes need to be at least $1,000 per ski area. But since the Mega-Corps have found a gold mine, this is the way it's going to be

And yes, the slopes aren't crowded, it's the issue of too many bottle necks on the way to MHM. That long line I posted a pic of, Vista, maybe 20 min wait, 25 at most. In the days of old double chairs, the wait time would be 30 min at every lift in the 1980's on weekends and powder days

https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/summi...tarting-jan-15
    Last edited by k2skier112; 01-12-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Afternoon update on lift conditions at MtB
    - per lift ops super, crews have scavenged (“harvested”) all needed parts from Alpenglow to make Sky run again. Goal is still Saturday

- pro patroller says he’s taking the over on Saturday restart

- plan is to start Summit Thursday PM assuming the sleet event doesn’t get in the way

def with TFT on option #4

falling snow is worse than smoking
    avalanches are terrible
    stay away from the mountain
    it's too dangerous

go shopping!
    lots of parking at Washington Square Mall or the outlets

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    def with TFT on option #4

falling snow is worse than smoking
    avalanches are terrible
    stay away from the mountain
    it's too dangerous

go shopping!
    lots of parking at Washington Square Mall or the outlets
    No shit, what happened to the golden age of American consumerism and shopping malls? I certainly wish I had a few shopping malls nearby - nowhere else will you find something fun for every family member under one roof

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    No shit, what happened to the golden age of American consumerism and shopping malls? I certainly wish I had a few shopping malls nearby - nowhere else will you find something fun for every family member under one roof
    Tanasbourne has a Chik fil-A
    There's an In n Out Burger coming to Tualatin next year

Get some!

Beauty day on the right side of the hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220112_130259.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	400902
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

More jonesy railroad track pics requested, don’t see any in there

invading this thread for the weekend ~

Well be up Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Beauty day on the right side of the hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220112_130259.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	400902
    I bet that stuff was soft!

Just checked 'dynamic pricing", holy hell, MHM is $199 for the holiday weekend! I thought $149 was the top mark. That should keep some peeps away...

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Just checked 'dynamic pricing", holy hell, MHM is $199 for the holiday weekend! I thought $149 was the top mark. That should keep some peeps away...
    Will it?

That is truly incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Will it?
    oh, the lots will still fill up, with pass-holders...
    doesn't really matter, MHM can easily move skiers with short (ish) lines when all lots are full. just gotta know how to work the system. only time full lots suck is a powder day with the upper mountain closed
    I'm more of a glass half full guy during the pandemic about skiing, it's going to be crowded everywhere, deal with it and have fun

doesn't really matter, MHM can easily move skiers with short (ish) lines when all lots are full. just gotta know how to work the system. only time full lots suck is a powder day with the upper mountain closed
    I'm more of a glass half full guy during the pandemic about skiing, it's going to be crowded everywhere, deal with it and have fun
    I don't ski to "deal with it." Nor do I want to ski at a hill that says. "Be Patient." Skliing is supposed to be an escape from the bs of daily life. Meadows brings that daily grind to the hill with its crowds, traffic, and general agro attitude from some. Best terrain? Sure... Questionable... Uncrowded? It's all relative... The clusterpluck that is a rope drop in Heather is anything but an escape. You better not fall, because 100 people will be right there to take your line. I'll keep all my secret lines that are available two days after storms with nobody hot on my tails.

What’s the over/under on the guy that went three wide up around Windy Corner/Rockfall/Chain-up past Silent Rock, when we were all doing fine and dandy at 45 to pass the fuel truck who was just fine and dandy themselves rolling up at 35 on the ice, to get to the MHM parking lots, being a day ticket or a pass holder?

Because if they were a day ticket, Thank You Meadows!
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    What’s the over/under on the guy that went three wide up around Windy Corner/Rockfall/Chain-up past Silent Rock, when we were all doing fine and dandy at 45 to pass the fuel truck who was just fine and dandy themselves rolling up at 35 on the ice, to get to the MHM parking lots, being a day ticket or a pass holder?

Because if they were a day ticket, Thank You Meadows!
    They forgot to turn the music off and honor the Silent Rock tradition.

Should be a real busy weekend for the patrollers and Providence Clinic. Conditions will likely be pretty sporty in a lot of the high traffic areas off MHX/SSX.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    I don't ski to "deal with it." Nor do I want to ski at a hill that says. "Be Patient." Skliing is supposed to be an escape from the bs of daily life. Meadows brings that daily grind to the hill with its crowds, traffic, and general agro attitude from some. Best terrain? Sure... Questionable... Uncrowded? It's all relative... The clusterpluck that is a rope drop in Heather is anything but an escape. You better not fall, because 100 people will be right there to take your line. I'll keep all my secret lines that are available two days after storms with nobody hot on my tails.
    We're in a pandemic. Pull the stick out your ass, go outside and yell at the kids to get off your lawn