Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1984
    How hard does it have to blow these days for Meadows to close Cascade? Thinking of heading down for closing day, age-old effort/reward calculus. Looks like it's gonna blow pretty good. Odds of Heather spinning? HRE?

Oregon 2021-2022 Snow Flow Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    How hard does it have to blow these days for Meadows to close Cascade? Thinking of heading down for closing day, age-old effort/reward calculus. Looks like it's gonna blow pretty good. Odds of Heather spinning? HRE?
    Vista, Cascade, Heather unlikely IMHO
    HRM closed for season

Looks like conditions page says similar right now

Doesn’t take much to close the upper mountain: viz more than high winds is often the problem. They run Star a bunch on windy days.

Pond skim sounds miserable tomorrow
    Employee day on Sunday actually looks pretty good

Cascade not gonna spin tomorrow if it’s storming. Hrm done, heather unlikely.

If you make it down let’s meet up for turns, I’ll be there…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn that first run down Grotto was money this morning... 2nd lap was very good too. The 3rd lap? Well, Pine shit a brick and left people hanging. I decided to go for a tour but made a hard left turn for Red, as they were setting up. All was not lost.

Cone laps for the weekend cardio were also stellar.

Not too bad for May.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I guess conditions were acceptable for May 7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	415647

All clicked in & ready to go!

11” on telemetry sounds like a pretty good closing day

How’d it ski?

[i got exercise power washing 1800sf of hardscaping; 100’ of bench; & a bunch of outdoor furniture…]

First couple 3 runs were great, then is was like a combo of spackle and Styrofoam.
    By 1:00 we were crusted in ice
    The Govy 500 was in full force. Just past the 26-35 interchange it came to a dead stop at 8:30
    We missed the main lot by 10 cars. Parked in Sunrise at 9:30

Snowing at my place in Bend. Can't make it up this morning. Being a good son and having Mom and family over for brunch. Wasn't expecting snow for Mother's Day!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Snow report for Redmond. Yes. Didn't even ask to go. Next week a Summit Powday.

Not too bad getting six inches of cold fluff midway between the vernal equinox and summer solstice.
    I think everyone was fixated on Red lift line at the jump, so I was one of first 10 down Thunderbird. Got three runs of continual wee wee tingling turns before it was chopped up

Name:	BF8FAF39-B36D-4E9F-8EF6-6082DC76162B.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	415698
    There were nice lines to be had in the Skyliner drainage as well. Top of upper cliffhanger before my second lap.

Name:	F33C7B50-D3D1-40F7-A25C-E63CD1E6B2E6.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	415699
    An orgasmic lap under Sky chair to the getback was had as well.

By 1000 the line at PMX was getting a little long

Name:	FF51E023-D2B4-4BBF-95CC-C09DD1F75EB4.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	415700
    (Singles line was back to top of the carpet)

So headed home to “actively rest” for tomorrow

Looks like another 3-6” before Mondays lineup. Maybe summit will open.
    I’ll be there

For some reason people were hiking. Maybe the secret is out.

There was a guy descending the cone @ 0800 whooping at the top of his lungs. Could hear him at east end of parking lot. I guess he had a good time.

There were nice lines to be had in the Skyliner drainage as well. Top of upper cliffhanger before my second lap.

Name:	FF51E023-D2B4-4BBF-95CC-C09DD1F75EB4.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	415700

I have to admit that I got up early and drove for 3 hours on icy roads to get to Broke Chair Mountain on Sunday. I got there around 9:00. I took a long painful look at that lift line and decided to drive home. No skiing involved! The Spring Season operation simply can't deal with a powder day.

When the parking lot is 3/4 full, and summit closed, why can't they open Outback???!!! When that many people are confined to ski in that small an area... the runs get crowded and the woods get deadly! I learned long ago that when I see that kind of crowding, the best bet is to cut your losses and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    When the parking lot is 3/4 full, and summit closed, why can't they open Outback???!!! When that many people are confined to ski in that small an area... the runs get crowded and the woods get deadly! I learned long ago that when I see that kind of crowding, the best bet is to cut your losses and go home.
    Sad about your wasted drive but I don't blame you

It's a great question I ask myself every day we are down to Pine plus the Kiddy Chair.
    Like today...
    It may well be that OBX's drive system was put into mothballs for the season and can't be just fired up on a moment's notice. There's also terrain control work to consider, which takes some advance effort

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post

I have to admit that I got up early and drove for 3 hours on icy roads to get to Broke Chair Mountain on Sunday. I got there around 9:00. I took a long painful look at that lift line and decided to drive home. No skiing involved! The Spring Season operation simply can't deal with a powder day.

That's a bummer. The painful fact that Skyliner has been down all season is a big let down and has put a lot of pressure on Pine. At least they had Red running on Sunday. There were a lot of out of towners and out of staters this past week. Rode the lift several times with folks not from Central Oregon. People see a forecast, hop in the #vanlife van and head to where the snow is. Rode the lift with a skier who drove 14 hours from Montana just to ride fresh snow. Plus no one works anymore. Apparently all rich from crypto and meme stocks.

I was seriously tempted my last run down DSQ to just keep going under Skyliner. While I was contemplating the walk back to West Village a ski patroller happened along and adjusted the closed sign on the Get back trail to Pine. Good timing for me, as I actually hadn't noticed the closed sign yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    There was a guy descending the cone @ 0800 whooping at the top of his lungs. Could hear him at east end of parking lot. I guess he had a good time.
    Was HE nakid?
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Personal blog entry. Disguised with the half ass don't give a shit attitude of Powdr Corp
    . Name:  middle-finger_1f595.png
Views: 363
Size:  10.8 KB
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Anybody know the details of this lawsuit? The Googlz wasn’t helpful
    Did their insurance carrier drop them as a result?
    Skibowl decided it was a good idea to stick a 4 x 4 post with sign directly next to the bike trail. Guy crashed into it, paralyzed waist down. Ski Bowl paid him $10.5 million. I believe the sign in question is on the left of this photo:

https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamas...regon-man.html

https://www.knkx.org/sports/2022-05-...losing-lawsuit

Seems like it coulda just as well been a tree, rock, stump, etc (aka anything you'd expect to find next to a trail while mtb)

^^^my read too. Trail is pretty wide there - for him to get bucked that far off line by a rut tells me he was out of control, former pro or otherwise.

Yeah, a permanent, off the trail, fixture doesn’t feel like negligence. Just bad luck

Reading the summary of his injuries and complications on pages 8-11 of the complaint alta linked...JFC. Paraplegia, 2 punctured lungs, bowel/bladder incontinence, horrible bed sores, necrotizing fasciitis, bone infections & necrosis, pulmonary embolism, sepsis, chronic pain, etc. That is a tremendous amount of suffering.

Don't wreck your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Skibowl decided it was a good idea to stick a 4 x 4 post with sign directly next to the bike trail. Guy crashed into it, paralyzed waist down. Ski Bowl paid him $10.5 million. I believe the sign in question is on the left of this photo:

https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamas...regon-man.html

https://www.knkx.org/sports/2022-05-...losing-lawsuit
    Are you his attorney? You certainly talk like it. Feel bad for the dude, but fuckin a, there’s a lot of trees and rocks next to trails too…

Next up we’ll be hearing “who built this god damn trail in the woods, shouldn’t it be on a sidewalk?”

That sign looks like it's on something larger than a 4x4

And ya, if your riding in a FOREST a fucking post should be the least of your worries

Skibowl didn't pay shit, the insurance company did

Paralyzed by hitting a "no walking" sign - damn.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba