Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1984
    https://youtu.be/VswuVZ_0ZAI

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    I haven't been able to get over there at all this year. How's the snowpack in the trees, like near Morrison creek CG? Did you use the summer or winter approach?
    I went up summer approach and down winter approach. Was able to ski to Morrison, but that won't last probably more than 2 weeks. Snowpack was good, but melting fast lower down.

Penultimate day of lift served at MtB
    Pretty firm at the jump, but softened to sticky by 1000 and started to rain.

Some guy tried to ride the chair with us today - only problem is we already had four people waiting to load. He and one of our crew ended up in the pit.

He had no answer to my question “what the fuck are you doing? Can you not count?”

Ambassador Joe and I agree that I probably lack the appropriate temperament to be a Mountain Host

You seem to be involved in lift loading mishaps,occasionally. A refresher course maybe in order. You Tube has tutorials.

Where’s the tutorial for when some random tries to be the fifth rider on an already full quad chair?

Or for when somebody jumps off because the lifty won’t back the chair up to the on-ramp?

And my brain fart at Rainbow last month didn’t result in any stoppage, thanks to my quick thinking

We could list other infractions but who's counting.
    Thanks for verifying my concerns.

Hell yes....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220529_103705.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	555.9 KB 
ID:	417630
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Yep...

Not a bad way to end the lift served season at Bachelor

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Yup, just a quiet morning at MtB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C77EAE64-1DA0-4349-8DCE-0A7A22BCAB7A.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	454.7 KB 
ID:	417644

And in yet another episode of People Can’t Load The Fucking Chair, on first ride this AM the woman next to me was offended by the sheave spooge puddled on the chair bench, and embarked on a cleaning project. The chair pushed her off the ramp and into the pit before she could finish the job.

I also heard about this elderly gaper who knocked a woman over in the Red lift line this morning…

It takes years of gaperism to up end unsuspecting individuals in the lift line. But I yield to your superior debauchery of lift loading tactics.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I am but an innocent bystander in these loading mishaps.
    Except for the tutu incident, and you know how easy shit goes sideways with a bucket

Remember going into the net and here comes the bucket/rider on top of me.....thanks for the memories.

monoski takeover at Mt. Hood today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bachelor served up some freshies. First time I've skied the bowl this year and was worth the effort.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

^^^Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post

And in yet another episode of People Can’t Load The Fucking Chair, on first ride this AM the woman next to me was offended by the sheave spooge puddled on the chair bench, and embarked on a cleaning project. The chair pushed her off the ramp and into the pit before she could finish the job.
    IN... TO... THE... PIT

https://youtu.be/79ZrRHtBrro

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Bachelor served up some freshies. First time I've skied the bowl this year and was worth the effort.

SummerSki Palmer/Tline.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220609_101449.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	418465

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    .... first ride this AM the woman next to me was offended by the sheave spooge puddled on the chair bench, and embarked on a cleaning project. The chair pushed her off the ramp and into the pit before she could finish the job.…
    that's gold Jerry, GOLD!!!!

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Oregon 2021-2022 Snow Flow Thread

New permit likely required to summit Mount Hood beginning in 2023

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...3/65359879007/

Climbing Oregon’s tallest mountain will likely require a new permit beginning in 2023.

The U.S. Forest Service will propose a rule this month requiring anyone heading above 9,000 feet on Mount Hood to get a special permit that would cost around $20 per person, per climb, or $100 for a season, the agency told the Statesman Journal.

The mountain’s summit is 11,249 feet.

There would be an unlimited number of permits available, at least in the first year, marking a contrast to permit systems on South Sister and Mount St. Helens that are used to limit crowding.

“This permit wouldn’t be required for any ski area, the Timberline Trail or for the vast majority of the mountain,” Mount Hood National Forest spokeswoman Heather Ibsen said. “This is really just for the technical climb to the summit.”

The new permits come in the wake of a growing number of people and accidents reported on Mount Hood, one of the most frequently climbed glaciated mountains in the United States.

"We are seeing a lot more people up there," said Nick Maslen, president of Portland Mountain Rescue, which conducts rescues on Mount Hood. "It has kind of been a perfect storm ever since the pandemic closed things down and the outdoors was the first thing people get outdoors and do, and that's brought the potential for more accidents."

Ibsen said the Forest Service will seek comment on the permit requirement over the summer, after they release their formal proposal in about a month.

“We’re genuinely interested in what people think about this proposal, what they think needs changing or how we could do this a different way,” she said. “It shouldn't just be a ‘boo’ or ‘yay’ type of comment, but people’s experiences on the mountain and ways to make the experience better.”

Currently, climbers are required to fill out a free self-issue wilderness permit at Timberline Lodge, but it's not clear how many actually do, while other climbers start at different locations, leading to an incomplete accounting of numbers on the mountain, Ibsen said.

Why a new permit and where would the money go?

Those planning to climb to Mount Hood’s summit would be required to purchase the permit before heading up the mountain from the website Recreation.gov. Officials are also hoping to make them available for purchase in person at ranger district offices and Wy’East Timberline Lodge “to offer more options for climbers,” Ibsen said.

There are several reasons to require a new permit, Ibsen said, including:

1: The money would be used to hire two additional climbing rangers who could help with safety on the mountain. Currently, there is only funding for one climbing ranger on Hood. The money would also go toward improved signage and giving each climber a free waste bag — known as a WAG bag — to reduce human waste on the peak.

“There has been an increase in people climbing, and that includes people with very little climbing experience,” she said. “This would allow us to hire additional climbing rangers who can talk with climbers along the route and really improve the safety experience and reduce human waste issues.”

2: Currently, many climbers, including those without experience, can simply show up at Timberline Lodge and attempt to climb Mount Hood, without any real idea of what’s above them. A permit requirement would force climbers to have a better understanding of the risks by bringing them “increased interaction with safety information,” Ibsen said.

3: The permit would allow the Forest Service to gather data and get hard numbers on how many people are actually climbing the mountain and what times of year.

“This will get us much better numbers on how many people are climbing on a busy weekend, for example, or how many people are climbing the busiest routes,” Ibsen said. “Right now we really only have anecdotal information on numbers but we do know it’s impacting the wilderness and parking.”

Ibsen declined to say whether the number of permits would be limited in the future, as a tool to limit crowding, which has occurred in a number of places across Oregon and the West. But it would give the agency the numbers to make that case in the future.

“That conversation is probably down the road but there won’t be any limit in 2023,” Ibsen said.

Maslen said Portland Mountain Rescue hasn't taking a position yet on the permits but that they're looking forward to being part of the process.

"It is our mission to promote mountain safety, but also we highly encourage inclusiveness in the outdoors and addressing barriers for people to recreate safely," he said.

The Mazamas, a climbing group founded on the summit of Mount Hood in 1894, said they're also looking forward to the process.

"The Mazamas support any proposal that will promote safety, reduce impact, and increase awareness about responsible recreation in the Mt. Hood Wilderness," said Greg Scott, a climb leader for the Mazamas.

This story will be updated.

They took all the trees and put them in a tree museum, and they charged the people as much as they could just to see them.

Interesting Mazamas are behind this as they seem to clog every trail and route within a 100mi of Portland with their 20person groups. I’d say group size and ability to overrun spots like Smith and Mt Hood should be addressed before getting behind a fee for everyday climbers/skiers

Floated a nice little section of the Willamette Water Trail from Wallace Park in Salem to the Wheatland Ferry in Willamette Mission State Park.

With a light tailwind, we drifted about 3-4 mph. So the 12 mile section took about 4 hours.

Favorite sights were all the osprey and the Keizer Rapids

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Little doggie came along too

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Looks nice! How was the river?