Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Hey all, going to be taking the family to Bend this weekend from Reno/Tahoe. Just wondering what traffic is like in the mornings heading up from Bend to Bachelor. We talking I70 shit show, Truckee to Olympic Valley gridlock levels of traffic or what?

When the traffic to Bach is bad it CAN BE REAL BUMPER TO BUMPER BAD. I have driven half way up Cascade Lakes Hwy toward Bach and just turned around to head home because of traffic. I did this after I had driven 100 miles to get to Bend. I drove the 100 miles back home and considered it a good choice. Bad traffic is episodic, but big snows seem to bring out all the worst driver, in old wrecks with bald tires,who will always be many, many, slow cars creeping ahead of you at 10 mph. Not the norm but it can happen after fresh snows.
    Last edited by snojones; 01-20-2022 at 01:20 PM.

If you wait, you will be late. Bend needs more round abouts.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I think what Bend needs is a lot less people or a lot more passing lanes!!!

I usually ski Bach during the weekdays and stay at 7th Mt. and traffic is not an issue... but if I was coming from Bend in am, does coming via Sunriver make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    I usually ski Bach during the weekdays and stay at 7th Mt. and traffic is not an issue... but if I was coming from Bend in am, does coming via Sunriver make sense?
    I doubt it. Maybe if you were in south east bend, and getting a late start. But not sure.

Absolutely not. I saw a lumber harvester in full flames from morning to evening on that road one time. Cool road but no way a time saver outta Bend.

Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    Nope.
    Sunriver to mt.b=19mi
    Bend to Bachelor=21mi
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Absolutely not. I saw a lumber harvester in full flames from morning to evening on that road one time. Cool road but no way a time saver outta Bend.
    Would you enlight us on a Lumber harvester. I'm thinking a timber processor.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Would enlight us on a Lumber harvester. I'm thinking a timber processor.
    A chainsaw?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    A chainsaw?
    Yeah that's it.

Is someone talking about clandestine glading?

Not sure. We are just very specific about our timber industry tools and machinery around here.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I believe tbs decades ago was a feller in SE AK. Back in the day I was a cab lizard.

I was an earth first journal writing tree spiking dirty hippy. No judgement.

Name:  Screenshot_20220120-135020_Google.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20220120-135020_Google.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  47.7 KB
    Seems to be about right.

The Wood products industry died decades ago, it was the primary driving economy of Central Oregon. I hauled 2 log loads out of Fall River & Green Ridge in 1990. 100+ yr old Ponderosa trees and it took a week to clear a stand. It was discouraging.

Would you enlight us on a Lumber harvester. I'm thinking a timber processor.
    Sure, cuts tree, limbs tree, you know, lots of hydraulic hoses and what not.
    I was a Sunriver Greenkeeper, not a lumberjack.
    I’ll tell ya what, makes a hell of a fire and a even big cloud of black smoke.

That’s called a timber processor or feller/buncher - way easier on the land than a D8
    And I bet it would make a bunch of smoke - diesel, hydraulic fluid and rubber will do that.
    Last edited by TBS; 01-20-2022 at 05:02 PM. Reason: buncher not butcher

And you do realize that the Bluff Creek Bigfoot (Patterson-Gimlin video 1967) was the result of vandals destroying logging equipment in 1958?

Feller buncher. Auto correct got ya. Although I guess it does butcher trees.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    I was an earth first journal writing tree spiking dirty hippy. No judgement.
    you drove nails into trees to intentionally cause damage to a person and/or equipment and then wrote about it in your diary?

When I was running sawmills in WA one of the workers lost use of an arm due to flying shrapnel when a saw hit a spike. We had metal detectors at the debarkers but then enviros started using some sort of nylon/plastic composite spikes for sabotage.

All to save spotted owl habitat so barred owls could eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    When I was running sawmills in WA one of the workers lost use of an arm due to flying shrapnel when a saw hit a spike. We had metal detectors at the debarkers but then enviros started using some sort of nylon/plastic composite spikes for sabotage.

All to save spotted owl habitat so barred owls could eat them.
    That is truth. Sisyphus had nothing on the barred owl.

My conscience got the best of me knowing that I had done something wrong when spiking. So, I stopped being that kind of EF'er and switched to working the legal routes. I was dedicated to the ideal. So, wrote 3000 letters for the ONRC blocking as many sales as I could until the Clinton Forest plan was initiated. Worked with foresters to develop compromise plans that would allow sustainable forestry. Left EF because I had serious misgivings about the tactics that I participated in. They also didn't like that I was working with the foresters on that compromise. I will never live the spiking down. Left the movement to become an educator. But, I don't regret every letter wriitten to ranger stations and all the EIS meetings I attended. Since then, I've learned that forestry is essential. As long as it is done in a sustainable manner. I have much respect.

We all have lapses of judgement. That was mine.

This thread is starting to show when you get a bunch of Oregonians together, the wounds and battles of the timber wars are never far from the past or the surface.

I got lots to say on timber, but not here not now. What I need here and now is a bright spot to look forward to for the weekend.

How has the snow been this week? With the crazy warm temps, has it corned up or is it still solidly variable with spots of ice and pockets of mank? How did the light dusting of snow and the rain effect things? Hoping for some soft turns on the steeps. Am I hoping in vain? Any beta on the outer reaches of off-Groom in the Hood?