Page 70 of 80 FirstFirst ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1984
    Really in poor taste and feel bad for the guy too but.....

Looks like the sign is working?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Gotta say. A 4x4 for a sign is dumb. A collapsible sign would make more sense like forest services use. Or heck a tree for that matter.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

^^^Because trees hinge at the base now?

Most of the time when you read about someone suing a ski area you read about the ski area's insurance company getting cold feet, not going to trial, and instead settling with the plaintiff. When this happens, it appears the plaintiff is extorting the ski area without a solid case. The ski area rather settle than risk trial.

This case is different. In this case, Ski Bowl and their insurance company doubled down and took the case to trial. And 12 jurors in Multnomah County, who were selected by both Ski Bowl and the plaintiff, unanimously agreed that Ski Bowl fucked up.

Reading over the complaint, it appears the plaintiff agrees that trees and signs on smaller posts that could break away upon impact are acceptable risks. Trees being a natural obstacle that are part of the sport. It's the thickness and sturdiness of the 4 x 4 post that was at issue here. I can't ever recall a 4 x 4 sign post in play anywhere I've mountain biked at. Maybe at an intersection or another place where speeds are at a near stop. But not right next to a high speed part of a trail.

Here's an example of a sign post that is considered an acceptable risk. Why did Ski Bowl use small posts everywhere else, but then a 4 x 4 post in this one location?

Name:  Screenshot (58).png
Views: 410
Size:  699.2 KB

Also, pretty lame of Ski Bowl putting the blame of closing their bike park squarely on the shoulders of this paralyzed guy. Sounds like they were under insured. Even if it is true that this case was the instigator of the closure, they could have phrased their decision more eloquently rather than throw this dude under the bus. Imagine what this guy thinks, and the 12 jurors who heard all the evidence think, when they read Ski Bowl's announcement. Rather than own up to their mistake and apologize, instead it's, the world is so fucked up now, the legal system is so fucked up, everything is fucked. No wonder our country is falling apart.

Every post at an intersection at Phil's is probably roughly 4x4, maybe a bit smaller. But it would hurt a lot if you hit it doing 30 mph. Also, ever notice how hard and metal-y those ski lift poles are? I wonder if all the pads are the proper thickness...

Despite whatever size post is in the ground, hard to see this as anything but a cash grab from someone who was in a super shitty situation. Vibes for sure, but sueing is lame-AF.

The last time I raced in the ski bowl summer series, I was 43. I'd let my license lapse the year before but got talked into racing Masters Novice on the way to family vacation.

Plan was I'd race while the fam played at the Alpine Slide, go to Huckleberry Inn for lunch then off to .
    Sunriver

Things didn't go according to plan. I won my class, finishing with broken ribs and a mild concussion. Ms. TBS and spawn were not amused.
    Insult to injury, because the other three in my class DNF'd, they didn't give me my primes.

Lotta pain and suffering. Shoulda sued.

I do have empathy for the plaintiff. I help people ski who were disabled due to high-risk sports. It gives me a profound feeling of being incredibly lucky, because I've been inches or seconds away from the same fate many times. It's just that we all need to take some responsibility for the consequences of our actions.

Would your opinion change if the paralyzed guy's profession requires manual labor? He was 37 at the time of the injury and may have lost his ability to make an income. $3.5 of that $10.5 goes to his attorney. A chunk more to pay unpaid medical bills and other debt he's accrued living without the money for the last six years since the injury. So this guy is walking away with $6 million. A lot of money, sure. But an appropriate amount to live off considering the life changing injury he now deals with.

Now that paralyzed guy won, bike parks across the country know not to place 4 x 4 posts anywhere that could be in play during a high speed crash. Had Ski Bowl won, bike parks could continue to place 4 x 4 posts wherever they please. What world do you want to live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Really in poor taste and feel bad for the guy too but.....

Looks like the sign is working?
    <snicker>

I wonder what the outcome would have been if ALL the jurors were mtn bikers?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Would your opinion change if the paralyzed guy's profession requires manual labor? He was 37 at the time of the injury and may have lost his ability to make an income. $3.5 of that $10.5 goes to his attorney. A chunk more to pay unpaid medical bills and other debt he's accrued living without the money for the last six years since the injury. So this guy is walking away with $6 million. A lot of money, sure. But an appropriate amount to live off considering the life changing injury he now deals with.

Now that paralyzed guy won, bike parks across the country know not to place 4 x 4 posts anywhere that could be in play during a high speed crash. Had Ski Bowl won, bike parks could continue to place 4 x 4 posts wherever they please. What world do you want to live in?
    They better cut down all the trees over 4" in the bike park too!!!!

Lawyer logic....

Personally, no. I have empathy for the guy, but I don't think that suing a seemingly almost-out-of-business ski resort is a good precedent, nor is it a replacement for a real type of social safety net for when these kinds of things do happen to people.

What world do you want to live in?
    One where outdoor access isn't threatened by overly litigious lawyers (is that redundant?). Anywho I should get back to work. Vibes all around, enjoy the day of sunshine.

Would your opinion change if the paralyzed guy's profession requires manual labor? He was 37 at the time of the injury and may have lost his ability to make an income.
    Nope

$3.5 of that $10.5 goes to his attorney.
    That's a big part of the problem right there

Our local trail systems use 6x6 cedar posts to mark junctions. Better let the Board of COTA know what a hazard that is.

Back to skiing
    i'm seeing butts on summit chairs @0930
    Can't tell if the chairs are actually moving though

Speaking of skiing... My baby has now graduated out of Tflat and it's time to move over to Meadows. She advanced so far this year. We'll be clogging up those liftlines for y'all. Anyone know when pass prices go up. Thinking about getting em early.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Speaking of skiing... My baby has now graduated out of Tflat and it's time to move over to Meadows. She advanced so far this year. We'll be clogging up those liftlines for y'all. Anyone know when pass prices go up. Thinking about getting em early.
    For multi year renews the price goes up May 31st

They said the pricing for passes will be dynamic and they will be limiting numbers of the "all access pass".

Name:  meadows pass info.png
Views: 377
Size:  45.6 KB

Altasnob, in the nicest Oregonian of ways piss off and take this conversation to another forum and another thread, and when you do please know there is a whole lot to this story we don’t know.

This is the snow thread.

Got any stoke pics of skiing in Oregon?

Just responding to TBS asking for info. And why are you pulling the Oregonian card? I grew up skiing (and biking) at Ski Bowl and am fourth generation Oregonian.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070461.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	415948

I want to live in a world where people don’t sue because they crashed while mtbing. Did the post cause his crash?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I pulled the Oregon card because that is what this thread is about (specifically skiing), and I referenced the “Oregonian” need to always be too nice; It’s not jingoism, but thanks for building a straw man.

In Sum: You are in the wrong thread with your armchair lawyering.

It's the thickness and sturdiness of the 4 x 4 post that was at issue here. I can't ever recall a 4 x 4 sign post in play anywhere I've mountain biked at. Maybe at an intersection or another place where speeds are at a near stop. But not right next to a high speed part of a trail.
    You have way too much time on your hands. Stop writing so many words on an Internet forum and ride your bike, or ski, more.

Plenty of 4x4 sign posts on the trails I ride on a daily basis.

Welcome to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Welcome to the dark side.
    Not to mix metaphors and universes... but... resistance is futile. Passes purchased preemptively.
    Last edited by CnRzG; 05-11-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Oregon 2021-2022 Snow Flow Thread

My kid’s early purchase MHM season pass went from $350 (season before last) to $450 to $500 (next season)
    Same age bracket, same access level (despite naming changes)

My Sahale pass has turned out to be more of a boon than I could have imagined at the time. The next pass purchase for me is gonna be a shocker

Still worth it, tho - stay independent, MHM
    [tline too]

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    My kid’s early purchase MHM season pass went from $350 (season before last) to $450 to $500 (next season)
    Same age bracket, same access level (despite naming changes)

My Sahale pass has turned out to be more of a boon than I could have imagined at the time. The next pass purchase for me is gonna be a shocker

Still worth it, tho - stay independent, MHM
    [tline too]
    How many years is your Sahale pass good for?

USA human powered gravity defiance XC team training at Bachy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_CsbWDqlms
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

How many years is your Sahale pass good for?
    There were5 years, IIRC, and $2,500, again IIRC
    I wanted one sooo bad, but my ACL surgery was about the time when they went on sale. 1 week after surgery and deeming it a success, and tried to buy one, but they were sold out