TIN CUP WHISKY - REVIEW

Well, these guys are marketing the fuck out of the outdoors space and I finally saw a bottle when I was in NYC last week and grabbed it since the whisky selection blows here (though there are 161 local gins available at the SAQ, wtf).

I didn't know it came with a little shot glass or whatever. The bottle is nice and that's some good marketing. The blend is really smooth, I usually like a firebreathing rye (rittenhouse, bulleit) kind of flavor but buy for value (CC rye)... this is super blended with corn or something. So it's kind of like a whisky for people that don't like American whiskeys?

Anyway, it is extremely non-offensive though very light.

i give it a rating of very drinkable but i wouldn't throw a guest out of the house for taking the last sip, either.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Tin Cup > Stranahans

I believe the former was started by some old employees of the latter.

I like it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

For $25, how does it compare to other solid value brands like Sazerac?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    For $25, how does it compare to other solid value brands like Sazerac?
    Imo Sazerac and Rittenhouse are the undisputed kings of that category. Nothing else comes close, though I agree that tin cup is better than stranahan's by far.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Tincup is my go-to when I need to bribe ski shop employees for whatever it is I need.

Padded Room Jong ??

There's already a whiskey thread. Perhaps not a Rye thread I guess...?

Srsly tho,

Tincup is distilled on the front range no? Named after Tincup Co? Not exactly local. Call it Cripple Creek, or Morrison or Cheyenne Mountain or whatevs

I like it too

It's not new though. Been around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Well, these guys are marketing the fuck out of the outdoors space and I finally saw a bottle when I was in NYC last week and grabbed it since the whisky selection blows here (though there are 161 local gins available at the SAQ, wtf).

I didn't know it came with a little shot glass or whatever. The bottle is nice and that's some good marketing. The blend is really smooth, I usually like a firebreathing rye (rittenhouse, bulleit) kind of flavor but buy for value (CC rye)... this is super blended with corn or something. So it's kind of like a whisky for people that don't like American whiskeys?

Anyway, it is extremely non-offensive though very light.

i give it a rating of very drinkable but i wouldn't throw a guest out of the house for taking the last sip, either.
    I dont know Rittenhouse.
    You find Bulleit to be "firebreathing"?
    One of my favorites.

Completely off the top of my head and based on half-remembered sources - Tin Cup is from the same folks as Stanahan’s, but uses sourced whiskey in addition to their make.

I’ve had a bottle gifted to me. It was very drinkable. I probably won’t buy one myself.

For a decent "fire-breather", try Pikesville Rye. Still nowhere near as good as 10yr Whistlepig Rye though.

Will have to try Rittenhouse. Edit: Interesting, it's from the Pikesville folks, but younger and lower proof.

Tincup is distilled in Indiana. It's only connection to Colorado or the mountains is in the marketing materials. Bought juice, made up label/story.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Heh yeah i thought it was something like that.
    OP seems like guerrilla marketing too

TIN CUP WHISKY - REVIEW

nah, i gave it a try based on the marketing on adventure podcasts and moved on to other whiskeys while refraining from telling everyone about them. the original tech talk aspect was supposed to be ABOUT the cup but i forgot.

in the end i stand by review though. nice bottle and marketing but not an amazing “american whisky” or anything.

For a decent "fire-breather", try Pikesville Rye. Still nowhere near as good as 10yr Whistlepig Rye though.

Will have to try Rittenhouse. Edit: Interesting, it's from the Pikesville folks, but younger and lower proof.
    “taste for pappy, budget for canadian club”
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    You find Bulleit to be "firebreathing"?
    They pretty much created the high rye mash bill category. Seagrams, now MGP, had the 95% rye for blending, Bulleit sells it as is. They marketed the fuck out of it to cocktail bars at the time and now it's associated with quality.

As an aside, the daughter of the Bulleit family was the one behind the marketing push. Completely disowned when she came out to her parents.

Interesting, it's from the Pikesville folks, but younger and lower proof.
    It's all Heaven Hill. Before Pikesville really took off about 10+ years ago HH sold a white label Pikesville for the Maryland market at $15 a bottle because it's a legacy brand. As far as I know, the current iteration of Rittenhouse is the same juice but bonded instead of sold unbonded at 80 proof, with a 60% markup. A few dives in Baltimore still keep a bottle stashed under the back bar for old time's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    They pretty much created the high rye mash bill category. Seagrams, now MGP, had the 95% rye for blending, Bulleit sells it as is. They marketed the fuck out of it to cocktail bars at the time and now it's associated with quality.

As an aside, the daughter of the Bulleit family was the one behind the marketing push. Completely disowned when she came out to her parents.

It's all Heaven Hill. Before Pikesville really took off about 10+ years ago HH sold a white label Pikesville for the Maryland market at $15 a bottle because it's a legacy brand. As far as I know, the current iteration of Rittenhouse is the same juice but bonded instead of sold unbonded at 80 proof, with a 60% markup. A few dives in Baltimore still keep a bottle stashed under the back bar for old time's sake.
    MGP (Midwest Grain Products) is a massive distiller and tons of smaller brands buy from them and just do the aging and blending themselves. If you see ‘distilled in Indiana, bottled in xyz’ it’s pretty much guaranteed they’re sourcing from MGP.

Skiing was featured heavily in the latest TGR commercial for Tin Cup, Sierra Nevada and Yeti.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's a $25 bottle of whisky that's entirely drinkable. No need to get too analytical here.

People buying whislepig are the ones buying the best hype. Very little of what they sell and not a drop of what built the brand is actually produced by then.
    Will be a marketing 304 class in the future.

I had 2016 Booker's Rye the same time I had a Boss Hog for the first time. No comparison.

It would have been winter 17/18, we enjoyed the previous fall's WLW at the same sit down. It's good to have friends with good whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I had 2016 Booker's Rye the same time I had Boss Hog for the first time. No comparison.

It would have been winter 17/18, we enjoyed the previous fall's WLW at the same sit down. It's good to have friends with good whiskey.
    Are you saying that Bookers is better? Honestly, I've always had a bit of a soft spot in my heart for whistlePig, but I never spend the money on it because there are so many better values in that price class. $80 for the ten year can buy you a ton of nice scotch, as well as american-made bottles like a midwinter nights dram.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    People buying whislepig are the ones buying the best hype. Very little of what they sell and not a drop of what built the brand is actually produced by then.
    Will be a marketing 304 class in the future.

truth. But the 10 farmstock rye beyond bonded, farm to bottle is worth every dam penny. And that’s 100% start to finish from Vt. All the way to the rye

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Are you saying that Bookers is better? Honestly, I've always had a bit of a soft spot in my heart for whistlePig, but I never spend the money on it because there are so many better values in that price class. $80 for the ten year can buy you a ton of nice scotch, as well as american-made bottles like a midwinter nights dram.
    He’s talking about (I believe) Booker’s 2016 13 Year limited edition rye, not their bourbon. That stuff sold for $300 msrp, and is insanely priced on the secondary market these days. I never got to try it, but I’d bet good money that it’s better than Whistlepig.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's a $25 bottle of whisky that's entirely drinkable. No need to get too analytical here.
    Hi, I see you must be new here, welcome to TGR!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Hi, I see you must be new here, welcome to TGR!
    That’s funny shit right there
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Oh Greeeeg.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague