Versatile - coolest ski video I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HvWxwZWPJ8

This is the coolest ski video I have ever seen, using paragliders to approach high elevation lines. Skiing on glacier ice is so hot right now.

Soo what you're saying is that you are the only person that hasn't seen the eder video?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

"It's only steep if you're backseat"

Looks like you guys need to learn to paraglide. Warning, it is massively addictive. Here in the US, the progression is insane and pilots are expanding the boundaries. In Europe, its a much more developed culture. In La Grave, I have seen speed wings fly into basically in accessible glacial terrain, pack up their wings and ski +/-4K descents. A the Col du Lateret, I've seen kite accessed ski tourer ascend +/3K in a few minutes and rip up a weeks work of pow in an afternoon (there is a video of this somewhere).

If you've got the time and motivation and really was to know what leaving the planet and not being constrained by gravity feels like this is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Looks like you guys need to learn to paraglide. Warning, it is massively addictive. Here in the US, the progression is insane and pilots are expanding the boundaries. In Europe, its a much more developed culture. In La Grave, I have seen speed wings fly into basically in accessible glacial terrain, pack up their wings and ski +/-4K descents. A the Col du Lateret, I've seen kite accessed ski tourer ascend +/3K in a few minutes and rip up a weeks work of pow in an afternoon (there is a video of this somewhere).

If you've got the time and motivation and really was to know what leaving the planet and not being constrained by gravity feels like this is the ticket.
    How heavy are the packs people are skiing 4k descents with?? I thought these were like 50lbs setups

It starts from here and goes up. I'd estimate that an alpinist's fee wing+harness weighs around 10lbs. with out even trying. I just weighed my 16m mini wing with a harness and a reserve it's pack and it is 15lbs.

The original of paragliding in para-alpinism. OG Frenchies got sick of downclimbing so they modded skydiving canopies and went full send. Because of increases in safety (gear & training) and ease, this is becoming more and more popular. Almost all the 14rs in Colorado have been flown for example.

This is just rad

Would love to ! I doubt anything like combining sports is possible on the East Coast though ? What kind of L/D and speeds are the modern wings doing?

Beginner gliders have something like a 8/1 glide ratio and 20mph speed at trim. I don't think you could launch Mansfield speedfly into Hellbrook if that's what you are asking. On the EC, there are freeflight communities in VT, NY, TN/GA mountains, towing in FL and other places and multiple dune soaring sites on the coast. The best way to learn however is to dedicate some time to go a dependable site with an instructor community for a few weeks. It's cool to see how people fit freeflight into their lives. I have met quite a few people that just travel to fly.

That’s all filmed in the Valais, Switzerland. What an insane playground for a guy with Sam Anthamattens skills 🤘

This better not awaken anything in me….

Too late. I want in. Wow.

Access via a glider is definitely super cool. Especially when it is done not only via a high altitude launch and glide to a remote spot, but instead via thermals/updrafts to get high and access lines (like in that linked video Alchemy). Bucket list item for sure.

One thing they don't really show in this video though, which I think is definitely really overlooked (and which I also use to overlook, I paraglide a lot), is actually properly skiing entire lines while piloting a really small paraglider (speedwing). The technology is getting better and better everyday and there are a handful of guys already doing it super well in Europe. A few of us here in the states are also working on adopting that style (called speedriding). No reason really ski a line without the glider, then pull it out of the bag to fly off the cliff at the end, when you can just ski it with the glider overhead and then pop off massive cliffs and ski all the in between stuff before popping off another cliff. Much safer to from an avy safety perspective. Like what you are seeing in that linked video "speedriding through an alpine resort", but imagine staying on the ground way more.

Definitely easier said that done though. Doing this requires piloting an extremely small ground hungry glider (cause that's the only way you can stay on the ground). You can eventually take off, but you need to time it all right and ski fast enough for it. Makes it all super interesting actually, especially on real steep lines and chutes, because you actually have to not ski too fast and constantly be making turns to scrub speed, all while keeping the glider over your head.

Edit: Just watched the Versatile video and man that thing is a work of art in all aspects!
    Last edited by Orash111; 11-09-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HvWxwZWPJ8

This is the coolest ski video I have ever seen, using paragliders to approach high elevation lines. Skiing on glacier ice is so hot right now.
    Just came here to post this. The way the drone captures the light reflecting on glacial ice in the first segment, combined with the music and skiing is amazing.

These two are amazing.

But the drone videographer also needs credit.

Really cool. The idea of ski flying to the top of a great run under a cliff is mind blowing.
    . . .

These folks are doing both. using bigger wings to access the goods via thermals and updrafts and then smaller wings for descent so it seems like they're making the trip with two wings (unless they're editing different trips into the same segment)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

If you've got the time, money and motivation and really was to know what leaving the planet and not being constrained by gravity feels like this is the ticket.
    FIFY

I definitely don't have time for such follies, I gotta go to work!
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 01-15-2022 at 05:02 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    These two are amazing.

But the drone videographer also needs credit.

Really cool. The idea of ski flying to the top of a great run under a cliff is mind blowing.
    Honestly the first segment is the best drone footage I've ever seen... I haven't seen this year's crop of ski movies yet, but the pan/orbital shots are just so well done in Versatile.. I've watched that segment at least 5-10 times this week.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    These folks are doing both. using bigger wings to access the goods via thermals and updrafts and then smaller wings for descent so it seems like they're making the trip with two wings (unless they're editing different trips into the same segment)
    Some of the clips look familiar, This isn't new but still an awesome concept
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeRO...oineBoisselier