Looking for lightweight resort pow ski for wife

My wife is looking to replace her 168 length Kastle BMX 118s. She was very happy with them. They will primarily be used for hiking highlands bowl and general soft days at the resort. Will be mounting with Shifts to keep the weight down for hiking (no plans to tour on these, except maybe some sidecountry but not likely) and using Atomic Hawx XTD115 boots.

She's 5'-0", maybe 130 lbs, has a ski racing background, is a technical skier, and prefers directional/traditional style skis. She hates soft skis but also doesn't like skis to be too heavy/damp. Wants something supportive but with pop. She finishes her turns so looking for a more traditional style ski I think.

In the interest of keeping weight down, I was looking in the 1800-2000g range (as measured for 180ish skis). She is insisting on a waist width of 110 or greater. Hasn't skied on a ski longer than 168 in years but more rocker and/or taper might mean she could get into the low 170s(?). She was happy with the BMXs in most conditions on resort the last few years.

She has no other resort skis. On hardpack days she's either skinning the resort or backcountry or skiing with our very young kids on her touring ski: Blizzard ZeroG 95 in a 164 with F1 boots. At some point she'll probably add an all mountain resort ski with alpine bindings to the quiver.

She's demoed an Elan ripstick and liked it but wants fatter. Tried a Nordica (enforcer or santa ana?) that was too heavy and damp.

Considering the Blizzard Rustler 11. I mentioned the Sheeva 11 but she is gun shy of women specific skis often being noodles. Also maybe the K2 Mindbender 115 but the tip and tail taper aren't appealing. Volkl BMT 109s would be sweet if I could find them.

Any ideas? Nope, no pics.

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    Any ideas? Nope, no pics.
    189 posts in 15 years, asks for ideas for his wife, says no pics.

Only Fans VIP passes then, or GTFO.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I think the biggest issue you'll have is getting the correct length.

Rustler 11/Sheeva: looking in a good place I think, but do keep in mind that the 164 and 172 have a 112mm waist not 114. I don't think there's a difference between the Sheeva and the R11 anymore.

Faction Candide 3.0(x): don't think there's anything other than the top sheet different between the 3.0 vs. 3.0x. Arguably aimed at more of a freestyle skier, I think she'd still like it because of how much this ski engages. Really good round shape on the turns and a poplar core gives the ski some oomph without metal making the ski too damp. If you mill about in here you'll probably find more than a few people who really like this ski for more purposes than just raging like Candide.

Atomic Bent Chetler 120: may be too big at its smallest size of 176, but the twin should make it ski shorter. Doubt she'd enjoy it on recommended, but if you took it a few centimeters back, she may enjoy it. Could be too flimsy for her, but she'd also be on a pretty long ski.

Moment Wildcat: less shape than the CT 3.0, and slightly wider. More pronounced rocker than the 3.0. Would probably achieve the status of a true powder ski along with the BC120 more than the other options.

Dynastar M-free 108: even though it's below what she's looking for, I mention it because it punches above it's width. More traditional skiers tend to like the amount of camber this ski has, but still has a lot of modern geometry. Engages the tips and tails when you turn it over, but nice and loose when you pivot the ski. Great in trees. Good amount of rocker and tip splay makes this ski a lot of fun in powder still. 172 should actually measure around 169.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Racer background, only skis resort on pow days, likes to tour--she should pick her own skis IMO.

Yeah, definitely one of the pickier requests I've seen. Seems to know how to ski, but maybe the post is just worded wrong. Simply looking for the collective thoughts.

Hoji (CC?) Seems to fit her style, minus (maybe) the pop request. That shape pops at speed, anyway.

Why not another Kastle?

Another vote for Faction Candide 3.0

Soul7….

Take her to a demo.

Why not the VJJ, comes in a lot of lengths and it can also be her low tide ski because it's super easy to ski.

ime my lady friends that have a ski racing background did not like the vjj style of slarvy ski at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Take her to a demo.
    this is the answer.
    we have one of those demo tents where you can take skis out for a few runs for $10 or $20 and I’d suggest trying a few that way
    skid luxury

I would go Sheeva 11 in 164, several of my ripper/ex-racer friends who are around 5' tall love it.

Haha Makers, that's a reasonable point.

Thanks all. It's a frustratingly narrow set of asks and why I came here as I was starting to bang my head against the wall. The ski needs to be capable in a wide range of conditions, not just pow, and she's not doing any jibbing or jumping.

Agreed that a demo is ideal, but this can be challenging as often her length is not available at many demos.
    Good to confirm the sheeva is the same as the rustler just different graphics and lengths (correct?). I'd say that or the rustler are the top contenders.

Thanks for all the suggestions; that's why I came here- ideas I wouldn't have thought of as I typically think of those companies as more freestyle oriented; I'll look into them. The Candide 3.0x is intriguing- she'll like the graphics but likely not the twin tip. Hoji also appealing. Kastle doesn't seem to offer anything in her length and width request any more but I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

I think the Sheeva 11 is the ticket. But Nomad 115 in 171 and Foundation/Yvette 112RP offer something in that length/weight range.

FWIW - my charging female friends (three sub-5' 7") ski the Bowl with the Atris at 108mm all day long, for years. That's my go to as well, even after 100+ laps with a 116mm ski.

Thanks, I fully agree that ~108 is ideal for this use (It's what I use as well). I'm working on trying to convince her of that, especially with the increased options in that range. Atris looks like a great ski.

alpinevibes, I think we skied Daly together a few springs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    Thanks, I fully agree that ~108 is ideal for this use (It's what I use as well). I'm working on trying to convince her of that, especially with the increased options in that range. Atris looks like a great ski.

alpinevibes, I think we skied Daly together a few springs ago.
    Nick? Yeah dude, hope all's well! Let's go skiing!

Another vote for the Candide 3.0 or 3.0x especially the 21 version made in the Austrian Fisher plant. The 3.0 has just a bit of taper tip/tail so carving ability and edge hold is very good for it’s width, so more versatile than her current skis or most powder skis.
    Stiffer tip/tail than most giving you the ability to really drive the ski especially when you mount -3cm/“traditional”. The twin tip just makes it easier to release turns but is not loose in the tail like many twins.

The 21 Candide line made alongside Fisher’s race skis so build quality and fit/finish are excellent. Went to different lengths and slightly lighter core for 22 and now built in the Amer/Atomic plant.

Would go with a 169cm 21 version that is around 1900gr vs the 172cm 22 version just over 1800gr for the better build quality AND huge deals available on last years stock.

The BMX 118 in 168cm had a very long turning radius and a 2150gr weight, so the 3.0x would be so much more versatile on most resort days.

Looking for lightweight resort pow ski for wife

Line Pandora has also been a fav amongst my friends.
    It comes in a 110 width in a 170 length so could be perfect. maybe not the lightest though.
    Personally I’m a hoji lover but it’s not a ski that I would put into the camp of what you describe above “liking to complete her turns” -The hoji is more fitting for pointing them down the hill
    skid luxury

Great info noslow and babybear, thank you. Alpinevibes, yes and yes let's do.