Page 33 of 129 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    so, you're suggesting a dolphinless turn? seriously?

Snow on the DownEast coast… 8.264” and nordic grooming tomorrow on the Carriage Roads. It’s something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0EECE86B-1135-44B4-A232-4361332A8DA3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	664.3 KB 
ID:	400100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC89DDDC-0C67-4926-B45A-CFE0318F9961.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	508.3 KB 
ID:	400101  

That is way more snow than we have in Northern VT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

6" more than the b or tob and it's super light.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Always seems a bit wasted here on the coast when these storms back in from sea, but does make it pretty for some nordorking around the park. Snow is always better than no snow.

Scottski joined me at Plattekill for 4 or 5 inches that fell on top of snowmaking. Skiing was good all day long.

Radville, suburb of Stoke City, just north of Awesome Town
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I see ECRC is back in the swing of things.
    Loving the drama of the last half dozen pages and it's nice to see some old names coming out of the woodwork and posting again.

I've been wondering why Stratton has been getting so many uphillers this season.

You all think Jeff with a G has enough $$ to keep this thing going past this year? Since lifts are such a PITA for any area, maybe just turn Magic into a uphill only hill? That would get all the skinners off Mikes Way at Stratton. Another positive is the BLT will be slinging food like crazy just to keep all those uphillers fortified.
    I have to hand it to Stratton, they have really embraced uphill, while Magic has made it less then welcoming (although to be fair I am probably the only customer who gets upset over it). I (almost) drove over to Stratton to hike up the day. With low snow and uphill closures at Magic my uphill vertical currently stands at 0ft.

I uphilled at Magic yesterday...with permission. It's not hard.

never seen so many folks jumping off of chairs…..

Last edited by m2711c; 01-08-2022 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicsnowboard View Post
    I have to hand it to Stratton, they have really embraced uphill, while Magic has made it less then welcoming (although to be fair I am probably the only customer who gets upset over it). I (almost) drove over to Stratton to hike up the day. With low snow and uphill closures at Magic my uphill vertical currently stands at 0ft.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I uphilled at Magic yesterday...with permission. It's not hard.
    Yeah, I'm a little surprised anyone would make it sound like it's tough to go uphill at Magic. I have no idea if they're still doing the lift token thing on days when they're open, but I'd be shocked if they had made it appreciably more difficult to skin or whatever over there. If there's been a real change in policy I'm unaware of it (which is possible, but again, I'd be surprised).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Always seems a bit wasted here on the coast when these storms back in from sea, but does make it pretty for some nordorking around the park. Snow is always better than no snow.
    Yup, we got about 6" down south of you. Upside-down storms....Oh bother

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    never seen so many folks jumping off of chairs…..

I blame it on management.

Agreed. At Magic that lift already would have been shut down for the day and empty. This is on them for having a functional way to reach the top of their hill.

Black Chair you could have that happen at every tower, every day, for years with no issues!

(But seriously, has this mountain suffered from years of similar issues they brought on themselves? I don't think perfection is the bar we need to set, but perpetual failure shouldn't be either.)
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I blame it on management.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I am, however I managed to throw a harbor seal in the park

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

[QUOTE=m2711c;6506407]never seen so many folks jumping off of chairs…..

[/QUOTE

Thats the stupidest thing I have ever seen - continuing to run the lift. Easily could have deroped. Move it once to make sure no chair directly above, and wait for water to be turned off.

8.5" of snow here on Long Island. No skiing but I did get out for a 2 hour snowshoe.

Weather pattern looks promising, except maybe tomorrow where sleet/freezing rain likely for a bit especially south of say Rt 4.

Keep an eye on next weekend. Repeat of last year, or at least a rhyme? Would result in epik and Iconik lines......

And a couple points on Magic that I think many don't appreciate, or appreciate how much these impact some of our views on management competence (without going into a tit for tat argument)

Current management is WAY better, light years better, than prior regimes (low bar, but still true). Could they have done better? Of course. And they admit it. But current state of affairs is just on a different plane than at any time since they reopened.

Investment in the mountain is real - Green, terrain park & lights, beginner area carpet/tow/snowmaking, new electric compressors, reburbished pumps, 50 new HKD snowguns, enough pipe repair to make it to mars, BLT renovation, rebuild of Red, etc. This type of investment has not been seen since the 1980's.

Open communication. Sure, Geoff and team, and especially some contractors, have made mistakes. But NO ski area is as open in communicating than Magic (compare and contrast to just about every Epik resort).

Running an Indy ski area is just a tough business. It can suck. It really sucks right now for Geoff. I don't know where we would be if Geoff and Ski Magic investors didn't come in. Oh, actually I do, its on the other side of Glebe.....

As a former snowmaker, it's stunning to me that it took so long to turn off that water pump. There is supposed to be an operator available to turn shit off for just such an occurrence. It's dangerous equipment and needs to be watched constantly.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    As a former snowmaker, it's stunning to me that it took so long to turn off that water pump. There is supposed to be an operator available to turn shit off for just such an occurrence. It's dangerous equipment and needs to be watched constantly.
    my thoughts exactly. It shouldn't have gone on nearly that long. Also agree that they shouldn't have run the lift beyond moving the first chair getting hit out of harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    Scottski joined me at Plattekill for 4 or 5 inches that fell on top of snowmaking. Skiing was good all day long.

Looks good. Wish I could have made it

Sunapee parking was full at 10. Hour drive from Newbury Harbor to the mountain (4 miles). 25% open terrain. Bummed to be missing it.

Was on the hill at Sunday River first thing this morning and headed back to town around 9; the line of traffic coming the other direction looked almost epic and pretty solid for about 2.5 miles.

Skiing could be pretty good, but it's chilly enough that the dog and I will wait until after lunch for nordorking.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Perhaps we need a special porpoise.

Nordorking works alright, but I hope winter has actually started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Chair broke off the lift at Wildcat today at the beginner area. Friend was right near it with his 3 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums