Page 36 of 129 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

East Coast Roll Call 21-22 We have a hot date with Skadi, Pictures at 11

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I had that same CB shell.
    90% of skiers in VT had it. CB Vaughn was from Manchester and the original mill was in Bennington.

Interestingly, someone appears to have bought the CB Sports name and is making the retro styles again.

Does anyone remember Mother Myricks Ski Apparel? My first GoreTex was a 3 snap pull over in maroon and tan from an outfitter in Manch.

Four day road trip and four days of skiing meant an early leave Friday and a late return last night.

Yesterday was the best as no one else was over by the baguette or the adjacent woods. Low photo count from the trip. Good to ski wild winter snow again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0E5F7066-57AC-4301-8D21-FE9A226FD521.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	400665

Name:	63ACB29C-8B8F-4CEB-ABF0-25753AE44664.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	400666

^^^^x2 on the CB shell white turtle neck plus the blue stretch pants to go with it. Thought I was the best skier on the mountain lol
    Harvey looks like u and Scottski had a good day. Heard from sledding buddies TugHill gotz some snow. Stay warm today people!
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Four day road trip and four days of skiing meant an early leave Friday and a late return last night.

Yesterday was the best as no one else was over by the baguette or the adjacent woods. Low photo count from the trip. Good to ski wild winter snow again

Name:	0E5F7066-57AC-4301-8D21-FE9A226FD521.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	400665

That looks great. Nice job chasing winter!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    90% of skiers in VT had it. CB Vaughn was from Manchester and the original mill was in Bennington.

Interestingly, someone appears to have bought the CB Sports name and is making the retro styles again.

Does anyone remember Mother Myricks Ski Apparel? My first GoreTex was a 3 snap pull over in maroon and tan from an outfitter in Manch.
    Yah, but I had mine first. It's called being a "trendsetter" just so we are all clear.

Edited to add: Holy fuck, that's what real snow looks like. I miss it

East Coast Roll Call 21-22 We have a hot date with Skadi, Pictures at 11

Top notch, cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Yah, but I had mine first. It's called being a "trendsetter" just so we are all clear.

Edited to add: Holy fuck, that's what real snow looks like. I miss it
    I knew you were old, but damn, CB started in the ‘60s.

-14º bob -23º summit under calm mostly clear skies. Get some! Appox. 1/2" of dry chalk overnight, I can hear how squeaky and slow the snow would be in my mind.

Nice to see this actual lift served powder action!

Out for fast laps yesterday. The sad fact is that the recently opened trails off Gatehouse are fun with a nice till to the groom and edge able snow underneath. The rest of the trails are a mix of lightly scratched thin film of loose over a variety of ice products ranging from blue-yellow water > the deceptively tricky slick white type. Virtually empty mountain meant zero waiting for any lift and hardly anyone on the trails.

With Bravo down most of the day poachers were able to chew up the Birdland powder pillow I had been watching. A nice reward for braving the ice glazed whales of Murphys to get there. Watched a half dozen skiers scratching their way down the right side brushing along the bushes looking for loose snow. Also spied a good number of tracks exiting Egans woods after viewing the stumps and rocks visible from the top last week I bet that was spicy.

Name:	20220110_183949.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	400669

Been so long since I've skied a true GS ski I forgot they are not happy under 35mph but engage like a rail gun over that, glad the trails were empty.

Sticker stoke, keep warm!

Name:	20220110_113447.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	717.0 KB 
ID:	400670

Bravo hasn't budged this morning and corrals are set up on Vally House to run that instead, Haven't gotten any employees to HGate yet for the 9am opening and Gatehouse,also hasn't moved, is crawling with mechanics. Lifts are smart.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

This gives me hope

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Stowe crowd slept in today, ski patrol didn’t even set up the Jerry corral at the top of nosedive.

I guess it was a little chilly.

And the view sucked.

But the NDH was wide open, with only slightly squeaky snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Attachment 400590

Like way back when?????
    Does this photo pre-date rear entry boots? Because you definitely look rad enough to be in either a pair of Raichle’s or Solomon Equipe’s.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post

This warms my cockle.

Trees!

Any NY mags have any feedback on which of the following Indy Pass hills in NY are worth driving from Boston to?

Catamount
    Greek Peak
    Snowy Ridge
    Swain
    Titus
    West

Would be sweet if Platty was on the pass, but know next to nothing about these other hills. Thanks yall!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I learned to ski at Catamount so biased and spent many a drunken evening at Titus. Both highly reviewed by this guy.

Fair warning, you will be driving a long fucking way to get to Titus, so think about it. I'd wrap in a trip to Whiteface and Gore even though they aren't on the pass. Spend a night in LP with a lady. They love it there.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I had that same CB shell.
    Mine is Navy with a red stripe. I still bring it out late season every year. I usually get 2-3 taps on the shoulder with the comments “I had one of those “
    The quality of clothing back then was great, I still have my same era Desante racing pants. The elastic is still great except I’ve put on 30lbs

That indie pass logic ^^^ is pretty reasonable.

Snow Ridge is the kind of place you might want to experience when they get a dump - which they do a few times year - off the lake and then measure the snow in feet. It's not that steep but there are some fun woods and a few other trails to check out. Long drive though.

I had a great time at Greek Peak. There's other finger lake stuff to do there and wineries so plan accordingly if you head there.

West has extensive night skiing (and beer racing league and lively bar) and although it's worth a stop on it's own it's also super fun to hit on your way down 87 from the daks or points north. It's the easiest to access of any of these hills so it could be incorporated into any loop.

Never been to Swain, I don't think it's big but it probably also gets lake effect.
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 01-11-2022 at 09:33 AM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Any NY mags have any feedback on which of the following Indy Pass hills in NY are worth driving from Boston to?

Catamount
    Greek Peak
    Snowy Ridge
    Swain
    Titus
    West

Would be sweet if Platty was on the pass, but know next to nothing about these other hills. Thanks yall!
    Catamount, Greek and West are all solid medium sized hills. Catamount has some legitimately steep stuff and Greek has some really fun trees. Snow Ridge gets GREAT LE snow when the storms roll through. The others I don't know but I think Harv went to Titus last week so I imagine he'll have a post on it soon on NYSB

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Years ago, Sunday River did the same--first hour free so you can verify conditions are worth it. That went away years ago, I assume between people gaming the system (and making sure they were at lifts with minimal ticket checking by the cutoff) and the lawyers wanting the inherent-danger boilerplate attached to each person on the hill.

They had a refund within an hour guarantee for a while, not sure what the current deal is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    We used to call it "Telemark Hour". Nice shots, cat! Hope you can make it back to Bridger again sometime.
    As a skier that grew up in in the backwoods between Rumford and Bethel and who skied and worked seasonally both summers and winters at Sunday River in the late 80's and early 90's before moving west, I check this thread with respect and admiration (also singlecross is my brother) for those of you who soldier on in the freezing rain and thick, sub-alpine hardwoods of the homeland. You guys suffer through long periods of some terrible conditions, become better skiers for it, and remain generally enthusiastic, often inexplicably so, in the face of sub-optimal sliding surfaces. There can be great days there to be sure and the history and soul run deep, so keep the stoke alive and have some soup for me!
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Fair warning, you will be driving a long fucking way to get to Titus
    After this weekend can confirm. More snow in the woods there than other hills in NY, but a little thin still (we went in).

WDG when are you going to be in NY? This weekend or...?

Some northern New York ski knowledge being dropped

Quote Originally Posted by savemeasammy View Post
    Does this photo pre-date rear entry boots? Because you definitely look rad enough to be in either a pair of Raichle’s or Solomon Equipe’s.

That is an excellent question. Yes, pre-Solomon and post Hanson Spyders. But eventually I was so rad I rocked BOTH of those boots!!!!!!

Name:	GloryDaysJ.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	400697

Name:	GloryDaysA.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	400698

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    After this weekend can confirm. More snow in the woods there than other hills in NY, but a little thin still (we went in).

WDG when are you going to be in NY? This weekend or...?
    Cool cool. Thanks for the beta y'all!

Have no specific plans, just got back from a Utah/Jackson swing and had some good times with our Indy Passes skiing new-to-us hills (Beaver Mtn is RAD!), and trying to think of some good Indy weekends to put together for the rest of the winter, and having had one of my best east coast days ever at Hunter after a mega storm, was curious about these NY hills that I've never heard of.

But damn Titus looks FAR with a lot of good skiing in between Boston and there I'd probably stop for first lol.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Still rocking ‘em… especially nice when it’s below zero/sub-arctic! So easy to go get soup!

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Still rocking ‘em… especially nice when it’s below zero/sub-arctic! So easy to go get soup!

Not only did I fall for taking that "vaccine" that magnetized me, I also fell in line with all of the sheeple who abandoned the rear entry boot. I am such a stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by AirheadD8 View Post
    Mine is Navy with a red stripe. I still bring it out late season every year. I usually get 2-3 taps on the shoulder with the comments “I had one of those “
    The quality of clothing back then was great, I still have my same era Desante racing pants. The elastic is still great except I’ve put on 30lbs
    Same