Page 116 of 129 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3201
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Speaking of mountains being sold, has anybody heard anything about Brodie? It was announced it was for sale and maybe the Fairbanks’ no-skiing covenant was expiring (maybe not). Then they announced that they had accepted an offer and then nothing. Any updates and/or rumors since then? Wild speculation?
    Payment shall be tendered in "American Chop Suey" and NOT poutine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE7AAA8C-EB3B-4858-919C-0B50A7307F69.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	426086

Vt-free is a good dude. My first weekend motorcycle tour of New England and my new to me old, complicated, high mile but poorly maintained moto broke down in his neck of the woods VT. I reached out and he spent the afternoon shuttling me around and offered a place to stay while I got it sorted. Many thanks.

This place IS good for more than just bad memes and worse financial advice!

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Vt-free is a good dude.
    ‘nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Speaking of mountains being sold, has anybody heard anything about Brodie? It was announced it was for sale and maybe the Fairbanks’ no-skiing covenant was expiring (maybe not). Then they announced that they had accepted an offer and then nothing. Any updates and/or rumors since then? Wild speculation?
    Stuart Winchester had Fairbanks on his podcast last year and he made it sound like that covenant was forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ‘nuff said.
    X2

charged with crimes and forced to pay:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...-after-rescue/
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I’m ok with that.

https://nhfishgame.com/2022/09/06/re...o-charges/amp/

A slap on the wrist for stupid people playing stupid games.

Not that this legal action would prevent the next Moran

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’m ok with that.

https://nhfishgame.com/2022/09/06/re...o-charges/amp/

A slap on the wrist for stupid people playing stupid games.

Not that this legal action would prevent the next Moran
    The main concern is that if folks think they will get a fine, they won’t call and will get into a worse position that may further endanger rescuers, first responders, etc. It’s a double edged sword and not as easy as “they deserve to pay”.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The main concern is that if folks think they will get a fine, they won’t call and will get into a worse position that may further endanger rescuers, first responders, etc. It’s a double edged sword and not as easy as “they deserve to pay”.
    Slippery slope is a fallacy everywhere except Mt Washington as well. LEO are supposed to decide now who are informed users? I haven't taken an avalanche course in 10 years does that mean that I am unprepared in the case of bad luck or worse decision making? Maybe. And as far as leaving a plan goes... who does that for every hike? Would it be then illegal to change your mind and to make a left turn instead of a right? And while I have enormous respect and sympathy for rescuers, this is the job they have enlisted or volunteered for. It's hard to see them choosing to leave people to die on an a la carte basis.

I see policies like this to simply satisfy (old) people in comment sections who make complaints about their tax dollars while probably spending most of their time indoors and failing to appreciate that the same mountains fill local tax coffers anyway.

There is a difference between a reckless endangerment plea and $200 fee and paying thousands for a heli.

I’m all for free rescue. But stupid is just stupid.

These kids are morons. Any threat of charges or fines wouldn’t change their decision.

They called at two pm. Didn’t get down until nine. SAR spent hours downroping to get them. It’s not cool.
    No one is asking them to do jail time or go bankrupt.

I am not surprised that I see this so differently from you. The result of this is that the kids you say are morons will now have a criminal conviction on their records to hinder them in getting work, pay more for car insurance, or even get into Canada. Awesome system we got here.

Criminalizing hiking (even dumb hiking) makes no sense. If they really wanted to asses a penalty and teach them a lesson why not have them work S&R or build trails a couple of weekends? And really, how do the volunteers feel about this? I just can't see them sitting around assessing a call to see if the people meet the criteria of being worthwhile enough for rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    I am not surprised that I see this so differently from you. The result of this is that the kids you say are morons will now have a criminal conviction on their records to hinder them in getting work, pay more for car insurance, or even get into Canada. Awesome system we got here.

Criminalizing hiking (even dumb hiking) makes no sense. If they really wanted to asses a penalty and teach them a lesson why not have them work S&R or build trails a couple of weekends? And really, how do the volunteers feel about this? I just can't see them sitting around assessing a call to see if the people meet the criteria of being worthwhile enough for rescue.
    As a former SAR volly, I can tell you that the earlier the call the easier the rescue. If hikers are concerned about paying a fine and delay calling it can mean more time, effort, and resources have to be spent to locate and assist and the potential outcome may be worse.

While I like the idea of requiring the rescued party having to put some time or effort into SAR/etc, the logistics of that are unmanageable - particularly for a hiker from out of town or state.

Ok. I see your point.

Same shit happens with uninsured and ambulance calls. Or huge copays for ER visits. When people truly need help they should get it.

And thanks to you and all the SAR volunteers.

I've had friends involved in rescue ops for skiers who went into the backcountry from Bolton. The calls that came in before 2 p.m. were a lot easier than the ones that came in at 10 p.m. for a whole host of reasons.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I found footage of the guys they rescued: https://twitter.com/globejimmcbride/...219328?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I found footage of the guys they rescued: https://twitter.com/globejimmcbride/...219328?lang=en
    Hahaha! Classic Boston right there.

they're just trying to do the right thing!

Who talked the other into the earring? It's a Bahston tradition...
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post

Name:	EE7AAA8C-EB3B-4858-919C-0B50A7307F69.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	426086

Vt-free is a good dude. My first weekend motorcycle tour of New England and my new to me old, complicated, high mile but poorly maintained moto broke down in his neck of the woods VT. I reached out and he spent the afternoon shuttling me around and offered a place to stay while I got it sorted. Many thanks.

This place IS good for more than just bad memes and worse financial advice!
    Bummed we didn't get that ride in. Been a while since I've been out on the Aprilia with another rider.
    Was funny when you hit me up to ride when you were in Rochester and we were up high while you were having breakfast in Rochester. Not as funny when I got your text in the lot while we were chatting after the ride. Only one choice available, help a Mag in need.

Name:	20220910_094828.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	426387

Only too glad to help you out and get in a hike to Mollys' on Sunday while you waited for transport

Name:	20220911_125839.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	950.4 KB 
ID:	426390
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Bummed we didn't get that ride in. Been a while since I've been out on the Aprilia with another rider.
    Was funny when you hit me up to ride when you were in Rochester and we were up high while you were having breakfast in Rochester. Not as funny when I got your text in the lot while we were chatting after the ride. Only one choice available, help a Mag in need.

Name:	20220910_094828.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	426387

Only too glad to help you out and get in a hike to Mollys' on Sunday while you waited for transport

Name:	20220911_125839.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	950.4 KB 
ID:	426390
    ^^^ Man that's good stuff. Reason enough to keep coming back.

As far as Jay, just glad it's not epic or ikon. Having two indy's within 45 minutes makes my house feel a lot more cozy.

On a completely unrelated side note: My prov. patent app is in. Dots Ski Wax is slated to go live this fall...

100% Renewable Ski Wax. In NE fashion, I'm looking for mom and pop ski shops to talk with about the endeavor. If anybody wants to talk, or might know a shop that would be interested, I accept your wisdom and insight with open arms.

Would also love to talk to the diy'ers. Especially you all that been doing this for decades and sharpening your scrapers on edges and shit.

Looks like winter started to give hints on top of the rock pile this morning.

Name:  Image1663269081.009815.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  105.0 KB

Very little doubt first tracks were made today in Quebec, or will be by tomorrow.

Name:  cc.png
Views: 373
Size:  69.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    On a completely unrelated side note: My prov. patent app is in. Dots Ski Wax is slated to go live this fall...

100% Renewable Ski Wax. In NE fashion, I'm looking for mom and pop ski shops to talk with about the endeavor. If anybody wants to talk, or might know a shop that would be interested, I accept your wisdom and insight with open arms.

Would also love to talk to the diy'ers. Especially you all that been doing this for decades and sharpening your scrapers on edges and shit.
    Great idea. People are pretty brand loyal and set in their ways with waxing, and brick and mortar shelf space is limited, I suggest doing demos. Go to Craftsbury, Mtn Top, OGE demo days, call Ski areas and wax a fuckton of skis. I know most of my waxing habits came from high school racing, reach out to Public and private school racing programs. Heck, maybe contact GMVS, MMSC, Holderness, VT Academy, MMHS, MAU, CVH, etc, say you’ll give them X amount for a low price just to get the name out. If a kid does well in a race, the parents will follow on waxing and the local shop will follow.

^^^ Thanks for taking the time to share some insight, especially about the racing community.

I won't clog up the forum with shameless attempts at self-promotion any further.

anybody shoot me a pm if you want a bar, I'd gladly hand out wax in return for honest feedback.