Page 38 of 129 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    The elephant in the room question - is this a "jet turn" a "worm turn" or a "slow dog noodle?"
    Someone should address it so we can move on. No snow on jacket and much too upright so not a worm turn Jet turn seems right but the pole plant is evocative of a slow dog noodle leaving the answer visually unclear. Given it is a maggot most definitely a jet turn. Go fast or finish last

Think we need a new thread to fully discuss the intricacies involved in properly executing a worm turn vs. a slow dog noodle. Newbs can easily confuse the two, and this is unacceptable.

Personally I've started skiing park a lot, by which I mean skiing up to the lip of the park's largest feature, executing either a slow dog noodle or worm turn, and skiing down the other side. It really gets the kids going, and I think they're impressed (they're always yelling a lot when I do this--I can never exactly make out what they're saying, but I always appreciate a cheering section--I tend to get the biggest response when I cut in front of one of them who is picking up speed, that kid always seems to most appreciate someone showing him how to perform today's coolest maneuvers).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Think we need a new thread to fully discuss the intricacies involved in properly executing a worm turn vs. a slow dog noodle. Newbs can easily confuse the two, and this is unacceptable.

Personally I've started skiing park a lot, by which I mean skiing up to the lip of the park's largest feature, executing either a slow dog noodle or worm turn, and skiing down the other side. It really gets the kids going, and I think they're impressed (they're always yelling a lot when I do this--I can never exactly make out what they're saying, but I always appreciate a cheering section--I tend to get the biggest response when I cut in front of one of them who is picking up speed, that kid always seems to most appreciate someone showing him how to perform today's coolest maneuvers).
    Both you and Cat with some fine work this AM. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Unproperly loaded huh? How many of you have ever seen signs or any instructions to “only sit in the middle” or “single must not sit on right / left side”. I think I’ve seen it about 3 fucking times.
    Some BDS [big dumb slob] rode Heavens Gate solo on the outside of the chair earlier this season. When he got to the top he had trouble getting off and the chair arm popped the cable out of the channel onto the safety catch. Lift was down for a day while they slacked the line and put the cable back in place. Apparently able to slowly offload the chair on the safety catch.

13º bob this morning which is a marked improvement to yesterdays daytime high of -5º though there is a very brisk wind today.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Lovin the old school ^^ pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    The others I don't know but I think Harv went to Titus last week so I imagine he'll have a post on it soon on NYSB
    Titus is low angle, several cleared glades and from what I saw on Saturday, very little competition.

A few pics and a story:

https://nyskiblog.com/titus-all-the-way/

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    Lovin the old school ^^ pics.

Titus is low angle, several cleared glades and from what I saw on Saturday, very little competition.

A few pics and a story:

https://nyskiblog.com/titus-all-the-way/

Hmmmmmm, thanks for that info. Actually not a bad trip at all from the Belt du Banana.........

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    yup, berk east skis bigger, and is steep top to bottom.
    has a bit of MRG and magic in its trail cuts.
    Drove past Berk a million times to and from college and never skied it. Having biked it a bunch now, seems like a fun hill on the right day. Psyched to time a snow day there.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Question

^^ looking good harv
    belated happy birthday and happy pow day.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Drove past Berk a million times to and from college and never skied it. Having biked it a bunch now, seems like a fun hill on the right day. Psyched to time a snow day there.
    yup that's key. i hit it on the day they opened the natural trail under the main lift (lift line) in feb '20. a race program hill, i was impressed to see kids ripping the wild snow/tall grass in their race gear.
    a couple days later it was closed again for the rest of the (shortened) season. still yet to hit it on a pow day...
    Last edited by buckethead; 01-12-2022 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Unproperly loaded huh? How many of you have ever seen signs or any instructions to “only sit in the middle” or “single must not sit on right / left side”. I think I’ve seen it about 3 fucking times.
    So....Sunapee also has signs telling singles and doubles to sit in the middle (quad chairs). Unfortunately, these signs were on the first tower above the loading station so would not have helped the person at Wildcat. Sunapee has nice views....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	640.9 KB 
ID:	400850
    And a shit ton of manmade snow. A lot of people on the Epic Northeast FB page have been complaining about Vail's lack of snowmaking effort at Wildcat and Attitash but it doesn't appear to be a lack of investment (given what's happening at Sunapee)...I suspect it's a lack of people willing to put up with the shitty working conditions for paltry pay.

Looking good at Sunapee!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    A lot of people on the Epic Northeast FB page have been complaining about Vail's lack of snowmaking effort at Wildcat and Attitash but it doesn't appear to be a lack of investment (given what's happening at Sunapee)...I suspect it's a lack of people willing to put up with the shitty working conditions for paltry pay.
    Or, in other words, a lack of willingness to invest in people, rather than just physical infrastructure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Or, in other words, a lack of willingness to invest in people, rather than just physical infrastructure.

I can say on our end it’s a head scratching lack of people. We raised wages, sign on bonus, housing to the degree we can and still have come up short.

And in an Omicron world achieving a normal/expected staffing level is going to leave you short most weeks lately.

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I can say on our end it’s a head scratching lack of people. We raised wages, sign on bonus, housing to the degree we can and still have come up short.

And in an Omicron world achieving a normal/expected staffing level is going to leave you short most weeks lately.

Making it sustainable is the challenge. I'm confident that if you were offering $50/hour for lifties (or whatever entry-level job you want to talk about), you'd have plenty of them. You'd also have to raise pay for everyone else, and find the revenue to cover all of the above.

I also think housing is going to be an ongoing pain point for would-be resort employees (and by extension, their would-be employers) for a long time. It's relatively easy to solve for traditional ski bums, but for career type positions, people will probably want better housing that's still affordable enough.

girl made some funny lookin soup the other day-

Name:	70ski.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	400963
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Making it sustainable is the challenge. I'm confident that if you were offering $50/hour for lifties (or whatever entry-level job you want to talk about), you'd have plenty of them. You'd also have to raise pay for everyone else, and find the revenue to cover all of the above.

I also think housing is going to be an ongoing pain point for would-be resort employees (and by extension, their would-be employers) for a long time. It's relatively easy to solve for traditional ski bums, but for career type positions, people will probably want better housing that's still affordable enough.

The housing piece is huge. We’re in a pretty rural area with limited housing stock in close proximity to the hill. Many seasonal housing situations are no longer available as the property owners are using them since they don't go to work anymore or have put them into Airbnb or Vrbo. There’s a work force housing committee hashing out various plans but it’ll take time and significant resources to solve.

I royally fucked up by not buying a place here in the first couple years of being a full time year round employee, got too comfy sharing a house that some close friends bought. Then the Covid cash market happened and here I am paying $2k/ month for an under heated camp on posts. It’s a horrible time to be a buyer and there’s no inventory.

Last edited by ticketchecker; 01-13-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    girl made some funny lookin soup the other day-

Name:	70ski.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	400963
    Congrats on turning 70!

Randomly skinned pats peak yesterday and I have to say the snow was better than further north.
    Super busy on a Wednesday evening!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

And about 8 years later the last of the ‘I piss excellence’ stickers from an ullrfest have been placed!

Quite a bit larger than I remembered but have been saving this sucker for this exact placement for quite some time!

Name:	Image1642134706.923758.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	401069

Hope y’all are doing well

Way to go East or bust. I have the sticker on the left and been saving it.

Going to wash my car today

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    And about 8 years later the last of the ‘I piss excellence’ stickers from an ullrfest have been placed!

Quite a bit larger than I remembered but have been saving this sucker for this exact placement for quite some time!

Name:	Image1642134706.923758.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	401069

Hope y’all are doing well
    If I recall correctly, that was your first Ullrfest....

Beating around the bush for a few hours yesterday to get some exercise.

What's wrong with Thursday?

Name:	20220114_071319.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	984.4 KB 
ID:	401080

They were nice enough enough to leave 4[Eight total] guns pissing water at the entrance and exit. I guess I should be thankful as it kept a lot of people off or one and done. At least it was warm enough that a quick wipe with the glove would clear it without stopping.

Name:	20220114_071359.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	401081

I am not an expert on air/water ratio but it looks like this isn't right.

Name:	20220114_071251.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	401082

Stopped once at the base to bang ice buildup off the edges from skiing through the slush. Froze up like a brick overnight, as expected, only seen a single patroller scratching down today, looked less than fun. Watch it Monday as there are lots of snow boulders along the left side.

Name:	20220114_071534.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	933.3 KB 
ID:	401083

Mohr stickers

Name:	20220114_071501.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	943.9 KB 
ID:	401084

Name:	20220114_071606.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	401085

The now open Out to Lunch [trail count motherfuckers] is impossible to avoid some rock hits to the bridge. It looks like people are carrying rocks to drop in the trail or dogs on a hike?

Name:	20220114_071201.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	401086

That's right bitches! Closed means closed, keep out!

Name:	20220114_073510.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	401087
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Not even a Thank you or Kind Regards? Somebody get that woman a drink.

Super jelly of the cat's pow shots recently. That guy knows how to ski

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

That's right bitches! Closed means closed, keep out!

Name:	20220114_073510.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	401087
    Oops, guess I was trespassing last time I skied the 19th (2019) but didn't see any signs...as a free to wander state, I thought if the property owner fails to post no trespassing signs every 50 feet, it's fair game. The letter says it's posted but maybe only at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Oops, guess I was trespassing last time I skied the 19th (2019) but didn't see any signs...as a free to wander state, I thought if the property owner fails to post no trespassing signs every 50 feet, it's fair game. The letter says it's posted but maybe only at the bottom?
    I thinks it’s more like a yearly posting, 400ft or less around the entire property, name and date on each sign, and you have to register it with the town. It’s also up for debate if skiing on snow is trespassing. A landowner owns the land, we skiers tend to be hovering on air and frozen crystals 6+ inches above the soil.

levitation based laws are righteous......