Page 108 of 129 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3201
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I used to live in Saratoga Springs and commuted to Magic every weekend for 5 years. It took us 1+40. It was only 78 miles but the roads were not conducive to fast driving with 2 dogs in the back. Took us 40 minutes longer once we moved bac to Vermont (Burlington area).

Rule of thumb: NYSP set their radar to go off at speed limit + 16. I had a lot of retired NYSP that worked for me in Smallbany and they told me that 80 in a 65 was perfectly acceptable in good weather.
    Gold. Thank you my good man.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    a really good friend of mine is on the Ammo Valley SAR crew and they got 4 calls on Saturday night - one for a tib/fib compound fracture and 3 hypothermia calls; he was on the response team for the broken leg, said he was happy that he was already dealing with that one so that he didn't get called in for the high alpine hypo rescue

100mph wind gusts and a full on ice storm, Mountain Rescue had to put chains on their truck tires to get up the auto road; very unfortunate that the guy passed away but agreed that it was completely avoidable, nobody has any business being up there in that kind of weather.
    I was up there last Wednesday for a prezi traverse (without @Laps you missed it) and it was picture perfect. Zero wind. Flowers. A guy ran by us who did it in 4:35 which blows my mind. Another woman ran by us and did 6:00.
    I saw the forecast and having that prefect weather ahead of a sketchy weekend I was worried.
    It's one thing to plan a trip on the weekend because that's the day you have off, but be ready to cancel or just do something else. Then another to just go anyway, maybe get up to tree line to see the ice and wind amd turn around.
    But to continue anyway?
    RIP and vibes to his family and thanks to SAR for doing their best. I feel terrible for those rescuers that lost a patient. Yes it's part of the deal but still has to weigh on you.
    Happy trails

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I might drive slow. I usually beat Google maps by some minutes. Please tell me I'm wrong because of love to be closer to magic. Haven't been yet.

I’m a little confused. Are you talking about driving to Magic from the metro area? MNIAW’s Route and info makes sense coming from Saratoga County (even more so for Glens Falls or Lake George) but if you’re going to Magic from NJ, I think you’re better off going through Troy and Hoosick Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I’m a little confused. Are you talking about driving to Magic from the metro area? MNIAW’s Route and info makes sense coming from Saratoga County (even more so for Glens Falls or Lake George) but if you’re going to Magic from NJ, I think you’re better off going through Troy and Hoosick Falls.
    The outlets

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    To shave a little time (and a lot of aggravation) coming from the metro area...

Get off I-87 at I-787 toward Albany
    Take I-90 (free 90) east
    Take the 2nd exit to DeFreestville/rte 43
    Stay on rte 43 to Reichards Lake Rd/rte 351...turn left onto it
    Rte 351 ends at rte 2...turn left then a very quick right onto Tamarac
    Tamarac ends at rte 7 past the reservoir in Pittstown...turn right
    continue to US7 in Vermont

Hoosick street in Troy sucks and going through Freer Park to avoid it is no faster (I've timed it many, many times)

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Darwin visits the whites this weekend. RIP

/mountain-hiker-dies-after-rescue-in-snow-80-mph-wind-gusts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not Without Peril.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	419652

Yup-Another added to the list. This should be required reading for all wan-a-be hikers of the Whites. The recurring them of the book is that people have died of exposure/hypothermia any month of the year, even when properly equipped.

Highly recommend the book. Thought it was going to be a little dry but ended up being a page turner. Some great tales about some fascinating characters like Joe Dodge and others. And skiing related, the author Nicholas Howe (passed a few years ago) had quite a history as a skier.

can confirm - 35 years of doing 81 mph on NYS thruway without issue. These days I'm getting passed by everybody too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    can confirm - 35 years of doing 81 mph on NYS thruway without issue. These days I'm getting passed by everybody too.
    Have you consider how much faster driving 82mph might get you to the Vermont Country Store?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    To shave a little time (and a lot of aggravation) coming from the metro area...

Get off I-87 at I-787 toward Albany
    Take I-90 (free 90) east
    Take the 2nd exit to DeFreestville/rte 43
    Stay on rte 43 to Reichards Lake Rd/rte 351...turn left onto it
    Rte 351 ends at rte 2...turn left then a very quick right onto Tamarac
    Tamarac ends at rte 7 past the reservoir in Pittstown...turn right
    continue to US7 in Vermont

Hoosick street in Troy sucks and going through Freer Park to avoid it is no faster (I've timed it many, many times)
    I know the area you’re talking about. It’s been many years since I ventured back there but I’ll give it a shot next time I go to Magic. Hoosick st has some slow sections for sure.
    Last edited by Brownski; 06-23-2022 at 02:25 PM.

The ride back is usually when the Vermont country store factors into decision making - fueled by smarties...

Skini- you aren’t doing anything wrong. It’s an hour any way I slice it from Manchester to glens falls. If you use button falls rd in Granville and the county rd from Hartford to Granville it’s usually one you can fly on though. It’s like 44 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post

Name:	Not Without Peril.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	419652

Yup-Another added to the list. This should be required reading for all wan-a-be hikers of the Whites. The recurring them of the book is that people have died of exposure/hypothermia any month of the year, even when properly equipped.

Highly recommend the book. Thought it was going to be a little dry but ended up being a page turner. Some great tales about some fascinating characters like Joe Dodge and others. And skiing related, the author Nicholas Howe (passed a few years ago) had quite a history as a skier.
    Agree. My parents had it on their coffee table and I spent a couple of days engrossed. I think they were hoping my sister would read it because she hikes up there all the time. She did mention the bad decisions the guy made when she was visiting yesterday so maybe she did.

What the Fuck?

https://www.suicide6.com/

I do not approve of this action.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    What the Fuck?

https://www.suicide6.com/

I do not approve of this action.

fact.
    glad I got my t shirt and sticker already I guess?

It’s a stupid fucking name, always hated it. Glad they are changing it.
    crab in my shoe mouth

fuck off mule sniffer...

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    fuck off mule sniffer...
    WTF?

My guess is someone on staff lost a loved one.

Let's let this one be.

^ Agree.

It's an historical name for an historical ski area but it's not a good look.

Summer glade season has begun at BMOM. Just finished up a new 300’ vertical run that looks real fun.

Name:	044B05D8-151D-4E2E-8C04-165CB697204D.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	420222

I'm with you guys and much prefer the now available Squaw Valley or Black Lives Matter Mountain.

But really I can't be too bent out of shape over this.

Glades are looking good, Cat.
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 06-29-2022 at 09:59 AM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

For a while, they abandoned the SS name and called it Woodstock Six or something like that. Can't remember the timeframe but pretty sure they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Glades are looking good, Cat.
    Yes indeed. This year I am definitely making a week-long Maine swing.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    It’s a stupid fucking name, always hated it. Glad they are changing it.
    Agreed.

In the small world department...

Ran into singlecross and one of his progeny last night at the Tedeschi Trucks show at Meadowbrook (aka BNH Pavilion). Always a good time hanging out with him but that's not the small world thingy - we had known each other was going to the show. He was sitting 1 row in front of us but again, not the small world thingy..

We were chatting and I asked where he was camping for the night. He said there's an app for VW campers whereby fellow VW owners offer up driveway space and he connected with a dude that lives in Meredith (a town or so north of the show venue). Turns out the dude whose driveway he was crashing in is my very own flesh and blood brother. He's not on teh TRGz so he had no idea single and I knew each other.

Small world.