Page 13 of 129 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Came across this statement while skiing today.

Attachment 395239
    How so? (Not a Vail fan, by any means, but, really, how?)

too late for a real hike, too thin for xc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1F05093-8632-4E4F-A606-18B4086CC534-8312-000012BFAFA01BCA.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	395294

at least the signs are up for the network, too bad
    we’ll be back to bare ground after
    monday.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How so? (Not a Vail fan, by any means, but, really, how?)
    More skiers, stricter rules for employees (restricted hair & beard styles, tattoo/piercing rules, higher prices in the cafeteria, pricier tix (but lower pass prices).

Doesn’t matter to me, but you asked.

Only short bus people pay window ticket prices these days.

Tattoos? If it's a winter employee, none on the face, I guess. Good. That's gross.

I wish Vail the worst. Unfortunately, that's going to mean carnage in the East.

The stricter rules also killed the “ski where you want” vibe after several people got banned for posting pics skiing closed trails (waterfall shot on STE)…a lot of employees are unhappy with low staffing and cost cutting measures, (that is if they weren’t fired when Vail took charge)

By Carnage do you mean the area would fold without the support of a corporation? If so, I don’t think that’s true given the number of indy mtns doing quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Snow farming (as Lazlo of Plattekill calls it) is a tough biz, and they ain't making new ski areas these days, just the opposite, ever so slowly. Helps to have a seemingly endless stream of capital supporting you, like Vail can conjur up from the financial world. Stowe will survive, but one wonders about the smaller mountains, like even Hunter, if that money stream dies.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Only short bus people pay window ticket prices these days.

Tattoos? If it's a winter employee, none on the face, I guess. Good. That's gross.

I wish Vail the worst. Unfortunately, that's going to mean carnage in the East.
    "everyone has a plan
    till you hate yourself and come home with face ink"
    mike tysen
    i dont pay for passes
    nor ride busses
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    The stricter rules also killed the “ski where you want” vibe after several people got banned for posting pics skiing closed trails (waterfall shot on STE)…a lot of employees are unhappy with low staffing and cost cutting measures, (that is if they weren’t fired when Vail took charge)

By Carnage do you mean the area would fold without the support of a corporation? If so, I don’t think that’s true given the number of indy mtns doing quite well.

Wut? First I've ever heard of people getting banned for doing that - M Hayes posts closed trail shots all the time? He even hastags the mtn in them.
    But VR certainly has changed the vibe on the mtn and not for the better. The increase in passes is evident from the 90% of unguided Jerry-missiles evidenced (on the weekends at least).
    I stopped at the intersection of ridgeview and lord for 5 minutes yesterday- it was a constant stream of beaters, all across the trail, the entire time. Hundreds of them. A sprinkling of actual skiers in-between, running the human slalom. I skied over to the poor patroller who was flapping his arms (in vain) to slow ppl down. Asked "how many was that - like 500?"
    "All of them, I think!"

1st year of Vail several locals got banned for poaching closed trails, including one ban that was based on a STE photo of a backie off the waterfall. Things have calmed down since then but people are still wary of getting their passes suspended for skiing closed stuff (at least in my circle of friends).

All that said, today waves of people were skiing liftline, front 4 and more but there are too few patrol for them to enforce any rules at this point.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

All that said, today waves of people were skiing liftline, front 4 and more but there are too few patrol for them to enforce any rules at this point.
    Labor shortage FTW!

The 3” that fell yesterday afternoon was filled in making for a nice surface today at Smuggs. Everyone was commenting how much better it was than yesterday. I’m glad I was Saturday striding after hearing that.

Be careful about cheering patrol shortage. Hunter closed three days last year for that.

Got out for some laps at mss last night. Snowed some up there yesterday (2-4"). Made for actually fun conditions. It's setting up nicely, but the rain is gonna shitfuck it. Basebuilder? Reset? Somewhere in the middle I think.
    27° 18°

Good morning with a demo day. I suck at reviewing skis. Tried four and they were all good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	IMG_5684.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	395384

All is right and good in the world. Hancock Hotel concession at the Mighty, Mighty this year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Expert-level seasoning

Be careful about cheering patrol shortage. Hunter closed three days last year for that.
    Rumor was, that was a form of a sick-out in the hopes of getting higher wages. No idea if that's true, but sounded plausible at the time given the actions out in Park City.

1st year of Vail several locals got banned for poaching closed trails, including one ban that was based on a STE photo of a backie off the waterfall. Things have calmed down since then but people are still wary of getting their passes suspended for skiing closed stuff (at least in my circle of friends).

Many of the poachers of old bought passes to Smuggs, IKon, or Bolton knowing that for another year they’ll be banned for four weeks. One told me “get caught, but not too early, ski another hill, and don’t return until the stake is 40” deep.”

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I seem to remember Jay Peak having a DH race late season. Does that sill go down? (Pun intended)
    If you like running unsanctioned downhills that don't meet current risk-mitigation standards, don't learn what the current standards are. It's like learning food-safety rules and then walking into what had been your favorite sketchy restaurant, it's really hard to turn off the thought process. Masters racing runs under US Ski & Snowboard governance so those modern standards apply.

Somehow made first chair at Ragged. I'm almost famous.

Name:	Screenshot_20211203-121855_Instagram_2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	395453
    Couldn't stop for pictures. Too much pow.

No covid in Danbury, so everything is back to normal. Just some supply chain issues. NSFW?

Name:	20211204_142530.jpg 
Size:	831.9 KB 
ID:	395462

Today at Sunapee....

Name:	20211205_130242.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	395454

Vail is a bit more strict. Employees all were wearing masks. Proof of vaccination required to sit down inside. Still need to boot up in the parking lot.

Either way, skiing is still fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post

No covid in Danbury, so everything is back to normal. Just some supply chain issues. NSFW?

Today at Sunapee....

Vail is a bit more strict. Employees all were wearing masks. Proof of vaccination required to sit down inside. Still need to boot up in the parking lot.

Three fingers fun!!!!

Heading up to Warren for Christmas weekend. We have a reservation at The Pitcher Inn on Christmas Day but looking for other options. I was sad when The Green Cup closed after Irene they had excellent food and a great vibe

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Heading up to Warren for Christmas weekend. We have a reservation at The Pitcher Inn on Christmas Day but looking for other options. I was sad when The Green Cup closed after Irene they had excellent food and a great vibe
    Mt fave is Peasant, also haven't been since the new owners took over but hear Tucker Hill is good but pricey.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post

Today at Sunapee....

savemeasammy and I were at Sunapee yesterday also. Early start and early quit (noon-ish). Snow conditions held up quite well I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    savemeasammy and I were at Sunapee yesterday also. Early start and early quit (noon-ish). Snow conditions held up quite well I thought.
    Dang. Bummed I missed you guys. My son and I didn't get there until 1. Scraped off, but fun as shit. He's a complainer, and was annoyed by my positivity .

Name:	Bowl3-15-17B.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	395522

Here's some positivity for ya. In these bleak times we gots to remember that sometimes we get to do this.....