Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Bump, anyone have experience with the Mystery Ranch Saddle Peak?

I really like the zipper layout for getting into the pack without having to completely drop it (for quick camera access). That stipulation of mine has really narrowed the field. Otherwise, the features seem pretty comparable to other popular packs. Only slight bummer is that it's a bit smaller than I'd ideally like at 25L. 30-35L seems like the sweet spot for a true BC pack, especially when lugging a not-so-small camera setup.

I rocked the older version with beaver tail shovel holder. MR quality and durability def lives up to hype. That said the saddle peak was my inbounds/slack pack. Too small for full day touring and burly build doesn’t really allow for it to stretch and accommodate overpacking.

Edit: looks like my old version was smaller at just under 20L

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Long torso folks - what works?
    Looking for a 40L replacement for my gen 1 patagonia descensionist

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    Like my Gregory Targhee 45. Good length for lorso'd folks, brain compartments doesnt impinge on my helmet on steep slogs

Your Everyday Touring Pack

L BD Cirque 35
    6’ 5” very long torso

Norrona Lygen 45L

I’ve had a lot of packs, this is by far one of my favourites. It’s light, well thought out, can fit all my glacier / mountaineering stuff, but still packs down small for quick laps.

I'm 6'6", average-ish proportions and the ortovox haute route 40 fits me reasonably well. I also really like the pack so far

Edit: I really like it for day in day out touring, but with enough capacity and features that it can handle a rope etc. for those kinds of adventures

I use a dakine heli pro 12l. Holds everything i need inside and the just voile strap skins to the shovel blade on the outside for the way down

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Like my Gregory Targhee 45. Good length for lorso'd folks, brain compartments doesnt impinge on my helmet on steep slogs
    X2. The targhee line of packs is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I love my Cirque 35. I’m a fan of simple

I have the Cirque 35 also. I don’t know if I’d call it ‘simple’, but it is fairly light, although, like most big brands, it still has unnecessary weight.
    The quick ice axe deploy actually works. Nice ski carry. Drain holes in the safety gear pocket (why this is not universal is beyond me).
    Top access is easy and fast to open and close, even with big gloves on.
    Side access zipper and waistbelt pocket, both of which are on my required list.

Biggest reasons I got it was low weight and that it comes in a tall torso size.
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 02-13-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    Why not the current model? Seems as good as anything else available, comes in a long length, at a reasonable price, and with the Patagucci warranty. That Norrona Lyngen 45 also seems potentially ideal (haven’t touched one), amazing they can include those features and volume at that weight, but priced accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    I have the Cirque 35 also. I don’t know if I’d call it ‘simple’, but it is fairly light, although, like most big brands, it still has unnecessary weight.
    The quick ice axe deploy actually works. Nice ski carry. Drain holes in the safety gear pocket (why this is not universal is beyond me).
    Top acces is easy and fast to open and close, even with big gloves on.

Biggest reasons I got it was low weight and that it comes in a tall torso size.
    By simple I mean a top loader without a lot of pockets and excess zippers. It’s not the lightest but it’s really durable

Thanks for all of the responses!

Bumping this to find out if others are having the same problem. I'm trying to replace a 15yo granite gear pack that's only about 20L and has been my go to daytour pack. Somehow fits my shovel and probe, water, lunch, gloves, shell and goggles on the way up. But I've got complaints:
    - aside from the shovel pocket, it's one big pocket that's annoying to dig through.
    - my helmet just has to kind of dangle off of it
    - I can only carry A-frame, and to do so, I have to swap my probe and shovel handle into the pack.
    I wanted something more modern, with better helmet and ski carry as a priority, and a goggle pocket as a nice-to-have. Problem is none of the packs I've tried in the 22L-28L range fit my avy gear. I don't think I have anything weird... an older Voile D-handle shovel and a G3 speed probe. But the probe and handle have been to long for the Osprey Soelden, Ortovox Cross Rider 22 and Free Rider 28, and the BD Dawn Patrol 25L (and the shovel too wide for the Cross Rider).

Can anyone recommend a 25L-ish pack that fits a decent sized shovel and probe? I don't believe in buying miniature avy gear that won't actually do the job if/when I need it. I also don't want to carry a 35L pack that's half empty, just so it will fit my avy gear.

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    Bumping this to find out if others are having the same problem. I'm trying to replace a 15yo granite gear pack that's only about 20L and has been my go to daytour pack. Somehow fits my shovel and probe, water, lunch, gloves, shell and goggles on the way up. But I've got complaints:
    - aside from the shovel pocket, it's one big pocket that's annoying to dig through.
    - I can only carry A-frame, and to do so, I have to swap my probe and shovel handle into the pack.
    I wanted something more modern, with better helmet and ski carry as a priority, and a goggle pocket as a nice-to-have. Problem is none of the packs I've tried in the 22L-28L range fit my avy gear. I don't think I have anything weird... an older Voile D-handle shovel and a G3 speed probe. But the probe and handle have been to long for the Osprey Soelden, Ortovox Cross Rider 22 and Free Rider 28, and the BD Dawn Patrol 25L (and the shovel too wide for the Cross Rider).

Can anyone recommend a 25L-ish pack that fits a decent sized shovel and probe? I don't believe in buying miniature avy gear that won't actually do the job if/when I need it. I also don't want to carry a 35L pack that's half empty, just so it will fit my avy gear.
    Mystery Ranch saddle peak?

Seems to check all your boxes… Two zippered compartments (outer is for avy gear, goggle pocket, external helmet carry system, A frame and diagonal ski carry ready (though can’t do diagonal while carrying helmet).

Can’t speak to whether or not it’ll fit your avy gear but don’t see why it wouldn’t at 25L.

The trusty Voiles are bigger than almost any modern shovel, and the handle attachment isn't nested into the blade like the new ones, which makes them even longer. I had one for many years and it only fit really well in modern 40L packs. I'm using a Mammut Alugator Pro Hoe now. Works great, fits in everything etc.

The voile shovel is large compared to most that are being made these days. Mine has been relegated to the get-unstuck bin in my Jeep for the same reason. That g3 probe is like 2" longer when folded than most other probes too. I ended up giving mine away and getting a new ortovox probe because it was too big for most of my bags.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Mystery Ranch saddle peak?

Seems to check all your boxes… Two zippered compartments (outer is for avy gear, goggle pocket, external helmet carry system, A frame and diagonal ski carry ready (though can’t do diagonal while carrying helmet).

Can’t speak to whether or not it’ll fit your avy gear but don’t see why it wouldn’t at 25L.
    Another good option if you need an airbag ready bag is the Mammut Pro 30. Basically identical to the saddle peak.

As mentioned the classic Voile is a bomber shovel but the design is outdated and they don't pack well.

Ortovox Kodiak or Mammut Allugator Pro are both big D-handled shovels that will fit better into modern packs, plus give you a non-round shaft (easier to assemble) and hoe mode.

Your Everyday Touring Pack

I don’t think that I’d consider a pack less than 30L a real day touring pack. My Cirque 35 is usually full for day touring with what I would consider the minimum for survival in a winter mountain environment.

I don’t think that I’d consider a pack less than 30L a real day touring pack. My Cirque 35 is usually full for day touring with what I would consider the minimum for survival in a winter mountain environment.

That's how I feel. I have the Pro 35 and it's full for a day tour. Anything less and I'd be pretty nervous.

Yeah, 35l is a really good size

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post

Pinch outside your range, but Patagonia Snow Drifter 30L?

Has separate avvy pocket, helmet carry, and can do diagonal or a-frame carry.
    They also have a 20L, but I think it switches to a single compartment design but with pockets to hold the avvy gear separate from your stuff.

I have an older version of the 20L that has separate avvy tool and "stuff" compartments that I like. I use it for resort (or cat/heli) skiing when I want to carry a pack as well as for inbounds skinning up the mountain. Only complaint about the old version is it doesn't have a helmet carry option. But it does have a nice fleece-lined goggle pocket, bladder sleeve and insulated strap for hydration, and options for A-frame or diagonal (or snowboard) carry. Fills up fast though if you are carrying avvy gear...I can do a jacket (maybe a shell+puffy), gloves, 1.5L bladder, goggles, avvy tools, and some food, but that pretty much stuffs it.

My bigger pack is the Mountain Hardware Powabunga 32L. I like it, but it feels more spacious than 32L so probably too big for your needs. Dedicated avvy tool compartment, goggle storage, helmet holder, a-frame or diagonal carry, nice side pockets (big enough to take a pair of skins for non-superfat skis), and I've grown to like the back-panel access system. Nice waist belt system that moves with your hips too. Biggest con in my mind is that the hydration bladder storage is towards the outside of the pack rather than keeping the weight against your back...but that only matters if you carry a bladder.

I have a Mammut Nirvana Ride 30L backpack that I love. I’ve tried a few others over the years, but keep coming back to it. It’s not an airbag pack. Vertical or diagonal ski carry, water bladder section, a few convenient pockets. Nothing super unique, design-wise, just exceptional construction quality, with rugged materials and excellent zippers.

:::::@:::::

I think a lot of you guys that have small packs do not carry emergency stuff, or not enough

You need a puffy warm enough that you can spend the night outside, extra gloves, hat, tools, .

Room for crampons, food, snacks

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk