Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I have the big Targhee (40? 42L? I forgot) and honestly I don't like it much. Has tons of features and well built, but functionally it just works so-so IMO. The diagonal carry setup is annoying to use. I also have the Patagonia 40L Descensionist. Very simple and I actually like it for short tours overall, but it doesn't carry heavy loads well and doesn't have a good diagonal carry strap at the top which I always have to jury-rig. Also no helmet carry option.

I have the MR Saddle Peak bag. Does what it was designed to and is bomber.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I'm surprised there are not better head to head comparisons of Jetforce Pro (2.0) and Alpride E1 systems. Anyone had any experience with both?

All good ideas above. Mine for what it's worth...
    1) Winter = Scott e1 40L fan airbag pack - Nets to closer to 30L, works pretty well as a pack, fits close to body... but like all airbag packs is heavy
    2) Spring = Patagonia Ascensionist 35L - Roll top, super bare bones, super light
    3) Ski camping = Either Pulk sled + one of the above... or Superior Wilderness Designs Longhaul
    https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product...internal-frame
    - Roll top, cinches down pretty tight or extends out to 55L, very light, custom side panels for durability, super versatile
    - Doubles as backpacking pack
    I still have an old Deuter Freerider Pro 30L that I'll use inbounds or sidecountry... good pack, pretty burly, just heavy with all the pockets, zippers, etc. so I just won't schlep it uphill

Wow, so many great recs. So many that I couldn't quote all of them - so cool to see such a diverse list of choices. Seems like a good time to upgrade.

I think I'll probably get a mid-size balloon pack (35ishL) - front-runner is the Scott E1 - damn that thing is slick. Thanks doebe-doobie for the rec! As much as I want a small pack that disappears onto my back, for 90% of my touring, it's probably suboptimal to leave out the "extra" safety gear (bivy, repair kit, extra layers/gloves).

...and maybe try that Mammut Spindrift for mid-late spring, post-consolidation, big days.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    For the last 4 years I've been in a 40L patagonia pack. It's felt pretty good most of the time. It's big but lightweight and compresses down so it never felt like overkill really. Details on it and what I pack most days here: https://imgur.com/gallery/XKzFXBR

This year I'm going to start carrying an airbag for the first time any day it isn't super mellow. I opted for the Scott E1 system and have both the 30L (thanks proform) and the 40L (thank SpyderJon!). I plan to use the 30L for most of the year -- when I need it for patrol, most day touring trips, side country etc. Plan to use the 40L for when I'm in a hut for a week/Lvl 2, and for spring when I need extra space for ski/boot cramps etc. If I was buying just one, the 40L is pretty clearly the superior bag with more space, a hip pocket, gear loop, padded waist band, and a superior avy storage solution. Hoping that I can get 6-7 years out of this system/packs.

I chose the E1 system over the Black Diamond because the ability to quickly swap in extra AAs for more charges, and the supercapacitors resistance to power loss due to cold, and weight.
    Great rec - I had not seen those Scotts. That's probably a front-runner

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I have a ski pack addiction. Here's a list of various selects I have tried over the past few years.

Black Diamond Cirque 35:
    Checks all of your boxes except the balloon thingy. Lightest weight of the bunch. Was my workhorse pack last year and will be this year.

Black Diamond Cirque 22 vest:
    Neat, but found ski carry lacking and would overheat with the chest straps. Did carry well without skis however. I struggled to actually fit a probe and shovel handle in the small size.

Deuter Freerider 26:
    Couldn't fit a normal length probe in it...

Blue Ice Yagi 25L:
    My current inbounds/short tour pack. Would not hesitate to recommend anything in the blue ice product line that looks interesting to you.

MHW Snoskiwoski 40L:
    New for this year, I am very excited to try it out. Was looking for a framed pack to carry a bit heavier loads than the cirque does.
    Awesome - what a great selection and solid comments - cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I use the Black Diamond 32L one - not sure what it's called but they're really popular for a good reason. I'd rather error on the side of having a little extra space than too little.

So... take this with a grain of salt because it was the first year they came out, but I do not trust the electric airbags. Deployed mine once or twice as a test and then couldn't get it to work after that, then returned it. All of the various AK heli outfits won't use them either, at least to date, from my personal experience and from what I've heard elsewhere. Hopefully they've improved?

Edit: this is the one, and I'd buy it again: https://www.backcountry.com/black-di...pack-1953cu-in
    Looks ultra-capable and dependable. There seem to be a lot of good options in this category

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I switch back and forth between a Gregory Targhee 32 and a Thule Upslope 35.

Gregory Targhee 32:
    Pros:
    -Well made
    -Carries well, at least on my body
    -Tall enough that avy tools fit inside without fussing

Cons:
    -helmet carry doesn't work with diagonal ski carry (I like that configuration for short sidecountry boot packs, which I do a lot of)
    -Tall pack means it's right behind your head, which is occasionally annoying.
    -If it was a smidge bigger, I wouldn't complain

Thule Upslope 35:
    Pros:
    -The wing pockets are awesome. Super useful, easy access without removing the pack. Big enough to fit a water bottle in one side and skins in the other.
    -Airbag compatible
    -Well made
    -Can do a helmet + diagonal carry at the same time.

Cons:
    -Doesn't fit me super well. Shoulder straps are better situated for broad shoulders, which I don't have.
    -If you're not using the airbag feature, it's just extra weight and wasted space.
    -Has a fussy metal waist belt buckle (common on airbag packs)
    -Expensive
    Didn't even know about Thule - cool - will check out.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    All good ideas above. Mine for what it's worth...
    1) Winter = Scott e1 40L fan airbag pack - Nets to closer to 30L, works pretty well as a pack, fits close to body... but like all airbag packs is heavy
    2) Spring = Patagonia Ascensionist 35L - Roll top, super bare bones, super light
    3) Ski camping = Either Pulk sled + one of the above... or Superior Wilderness Designs Longhaul
    https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product...internal-frame
    - Roll top, cinches down pretty tight or extends out to 55L, very light, custom side panels for durability, super versatile
    - Doubles as backpacking pack
    I still have an old Deuter Freerider Pro 30L that I'll use inbounds or sidecountry... good pack, pretty burly, just heavy with all the pockets, zippers, etc. so I just won't schlep it uphill
    sproing!

If you end up going Scott, SpyderJon is a reliable source. Great shipping, prices and comms.

I still plan to rock my 40L Descensionist on spring days or super mellow days since since it saves 3-4#s over the airbag packs.

old Gregory Targhee because it fits me well (large/tall)....doesn't have newer helmet carry FYI....Chet

Ortovox Ascent 40 avabag.
    Lightweight for a poofy bag.
    Packs down relatively small if not using all the space. I would say it's a little long for my torso length. The 38s only comes with pink highlights?
    Easy access to full compartment.

I use the Camp Ski Raptor, although it may be discontinued. It's 30L.

One feature that I haven't seen mentioned here but that I absolutely love is a "crampon pocket" which is a separate compartment that is accessible with the pack on. The idea is that you can put crampons in there and you 1) won't get the rest of your gear wet and 2) can access them without taking the pack off, but in practice, it's an extra 5-7L of storage that's accessible without taking your pack off. I usually store water, my headlamp (when skiing in the afternoon), and snacks in the pocket. For long descents, I store skins in the compartment (for short descents, I put them in my jacket). Absolutely critical feature that I'd need on any future pack.

Not sure if you can see in here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome_t0287jmEme.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	391739

I also really like having an integrated ski carry that isn't an A frame for booters. Better if I don't have to take off my pack to construct the carry (although I mostly ski lightweight, narrower skis).

I have the "35L" jetforce pro which functionally carries about as much as the BD Dawn Patrol 25 that I have. I like both, had the Patagonia Descensionist 32L and didn't like it much. Didn't carry weight well, and if you're carrying skis don't plan on getting in to your pack. I've actually thought about getting the Dawn Patrol 32, as the 25 is light, carries pretty well, and I am all-in on the back-panel-only access to the main compartment. It's just a little small sometimes.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Last couple of years I've been using a Dakine Poacher RAS 36. I'm a fan of the overall layout with only some very minor gripes, how well it carries weight, etc.
    At some point I'll switch to a fan pack to knock some weight off but I was already invested in the Mammut RAS system and really wanted the Poacher RAS Vest that they stupidly seem to have discontinued.
    In the spring I swap to an older Mammut Spindrift Guide (now discontinued) although it's never fit me quite right and I'll probably replace it at some point.

I have the equivalent of the Mammut Pro X and Flip and swap the airbag. Mine are the older Pro 45 and Rocker 18. Big fan of this combo for sidecountry and big days. Really good pack layouts.

I also have a Osprey Kode 30 and Mountain Hardware Chuter 15 for when avalanche danger is low. The Kode 30 carries skis and weight really really well for long approaches in late spring and summer and the Chuter 15 is so fast for anything you need to do regarding with messing with your pack for those as-many-laps-as-possible-before-work days.

Picked up the Ortovox Free Rider 22L. Hadn't seen it before - looks like it'll be good for small pack resort/sidecountry use.

Still planning on a Scott e1 Patrol 40L for every day touring, but I want to try it on first before committing. I saw the 30L, and it looked surprisingly big for a 30L blow-pack. Fit well too, but most blow-packs do.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Picked up the Ortovox Free Rider 22L. Hadn't seen it before - looks like it'll be good for small pack resort/sidecountry use.
    I have that pack and I love it. I had to reinforce the top diagonal ski attachment clip, but I kind of expect stuff like this on such a lightweight pack.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Patagonia Dessensionist 32 or Arc'teryx Rush SK 32 would be my choices.
    Have the Pata one - like it very much because of the ace to the compartments and how you can extend the top and just stuff more in if it's not raining / snowing. Also the back panel and so on is really nice.
    This year I might close the dead birds option as the hip flaps are more minimal and everything seems super nicely done and I have a lot of great experience with other arc'teryx packs... - the basic concept is the same and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Black Diamond Cirque 22 vest - vest-style. Really light. Never skied with a vest-pack.
    I got the Cirque 22 late last season and skied four days in it. I'm completely converted. It feels like a big 22L, closer to 30. I can fit everything I need for full day tours in GTNP in it no problem. It moves more naturally with my body on the down, and I notice it less than any other pack I've owned. And on the way up my food water, etc is all available without taking the pack off. I'm fully converted, especially since with the little skin side pocket, I could potentially transition both directions without taking my pack off.

Only downside would be that if you're boot packing far with heavy skis, I'm sure it would get uncomfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to boot a few thousand feet with a 1600g ski on it, but I sure wouldn't want to be hauling around 2100g skis with Cast mounted on them or something.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I got the Cirque 22 late last season and skied four days in it. I'm completely converted. It feels like a big 22L, closer to 30. I can fit everything I need for full day tours in GTNP in it no problem. It moves more naturally with my body on the down, and I notice it less than any other pack I've owned. And on the way up my food water, etc is all available without taking the pack off. I'm fully converted, especially since with the little skin side pocket, I could potentially transition both directions without taking my pack off.

Only downside would be that if you're boot packing far with heavy skis, I'm sure it would get uncomfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to boot a few thousand feet with a 1600g ski on it, but I sure wouldn't want to be hauling around 2100g skis with Cast mounted on them or something.
    The only thing I don’t like from the photos is no helmet carrier on the outside? I run hot and basically never skin in a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The only thing I don’t like from the photos is no helmet carrier on the outside? I run hot and basically never skin in a helmet.
    It came with one, which I promptly lost. If I can't find it by ski season, I'll just grab one of the aftermarket ones, Blue Ice and Arva both make good ones, and the pack has plenty of webbing attachment points on the back to run whatever style carrier you want.

Whats the biggest water bottle/flask you can fit in the front pockets of the Cirque 22?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Whats the biggest water bottle/flask you can fit in the front pockets of the Cirque 22?
    It can fit a 26oz Specialized Purist bike water bottle in each side. Nalgene would be too wide. I go with a Camleback 17oz soft flask, and I could probably carry four of those no problem if I was so inclined.

I’m a pack whore and have a half dozen that I’m each only moderately fond of. Here’s are some thoughts on the top 5 worth mentioning :

mammut light 30 airbag: overall good design. Heavy compared to non airbag packs. Comfortable to carry. If this were electric is would be pretty damn awesome. As it is, Avery solid option when traveling in avy terrain.

Mammut UL 20 airbag: it’s tiny and light and almost impossible to fit a full day of gear, food, and water. Fabric is too thin to be a longer term lift access pack IMO. I got for super cheap and swap the airbag contraption from the 30 when conditions warrant.

BD Cirque 45: My overnight/hut pack that is also good for day trips. If I had one pack this would be it. It’s light, simple, and carries shit well. I did 5 days in the high Sierra last April with this pack and felt it was a good choice. If it were a roll top with an extra 10l, it would be damn near perfect for a non airbag pack.

Cirque 30: Simple, light, solid. It has a drawstring closure that if it fails (which mine did) it doesn’t actually close. BD warrantied it. Same concern with the 45, which is why they should make it a roll top.

Black Crows Dorsa 27: My current daily driver and side country pack. Rolltop, simple, very durable construction. It can handle ski edges and crampon points without bursting (within reason). The ski carry is fine. The weak point was the nylon upper strap it came with I replaced the nylon upper strap with a voile strap and now it’s about as bombproof as the rest of the pack.

I used to skis with external soft flask but the mount piece always seemed to freeze so I don’t do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The Cirque 22 comes with a helmet holster that attaches your helmet to the center of the back of the pack. It is completely removable but easy to lose. I haven't tried it but you probably cannot carry skis diagonal with a helmet strapped there. I'm going to mess around with it and see if there's a way to flip it over the top of the pack and carry my helmet on top.

Just had a Deuter Freerider Pro 34+ come in. Played around with it using items in my closet and here are some thoughts
    - the pack material seems bomber. 420D fabric feels really sturdy
    - avy pocket fits my probe and shovel–mine are not exactly small (320cm Ortovox and a Mammut shovel with d-shaped handle)
    - the loaded avy pocket made it hard to stash skins in the skin pocket, you need to pack the shovel a particular way
    - don't have high hopes for the diagonal carry–you still need to take the pack off to load skis unlike new, fancier packs. I was able to DIY a skimo carry that seems to work well at home
    - a-frame carry straps/compression straps are not long enough for a foam thermarest, I'll probably use voiles instead
    - can probably fit crampons on the front side with a bungee? I don't own any so lol
    - you can also only fit one axe
    - ice tool clipper on one of the hip belts, there's a small pocket on the other side (won't fit iPhone XR)
    - hydration bladder routing seems fine

I think it comes down to
    - with the avy pocket loaded the pack already felt half filled (without using the expandable roll top). There's not a lot of space unless you deploy the roll top. It's probably fine for day tours though
    - expandable roll top is sweet. Feels like it doubled the usable capacity (Deuter says +10L to ~44L) and should make the pack usable for camping overnights
    - if you're stuffing the pack, the rear zipper access can be tough to close

Anyone have questions? I got it from REI so I think I'll try it for the season, not sure how soon I can go touring though. I feel like this is usable for 1-2 day tours, with a partner to split tent and food carry at least.

Thanks for the Freerider Pro 34+ beta. It's on my shortlist together with Arcteryx Rush SK32/42 and Pata Descensionist 40L.

After trying lots of ready made packs (BD, a few Mammut), I bit the bullet a few years ago and had alpine threadworks make me exactly what I wanted and it was worth every penny.
    Selkirk 35 with a top panel, hip belt pocket, and side access. Rides great and is just a quality pack.
    Long wait time right now but I figured it was worth plugging them