Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 75 of 75
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,621
    Just got Deuter Freerider 34 pro
    Itís compact but seems well laid out. Wish it had bladder sleeve for the tube. But pocket placement seems smart and for 34 itís a nice size which I was worried about. Will fill it with gear and advise


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,294
    Lots of interesting options that I hadn't heard of in this thread. I've been liking TNF Snowmad 34 for a non-airbag option. The helmet carry/stash pocket is the standout feature on the pack, which is otherwise unremarkable in a good way - it just works.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Lots of interesting options that I hadn't heard of in this thread. I've been liking TNF Snowmad 34 for a non-airbag option. The helmet carry/stash pocket is the standout feature on the pack, which is otherwise unremarkable in a good way - it just works.
    Yeah I hate fiddling with helmet carry. Stash & go seems really nice, but curious to know how it works IRL

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah I hate fiddling with helmet carry. Stash & go seems really nice, but curious to know how it works IRL
    It works really really Nice I have the Snowmad 34 for my do it all touring pack, and every time I think about getting something new, it is primarily the stow and go helmet carry system (which then becomes the skin pocket for the down) that keeps me from even considering a switch. I'm not about to swap to a helmet carry system. For reference I have a Pret Cynic X helmet. I wish there was a pocket on each side of the hip belt (my only gripe) but the gear loop is nice and useful. Multiple ways to carry skis. Ice Axe attachement. Main Pocket holds everything I need and then some. Avy Tool pocket is organized and easy to access. The only other beef is the zipper pocket on the back by where you stow the helmet can be hard to access when the helmet is strapped in. But that is really not a huge deal. The clip for that part of the pack broke on mine a couple years back, and I tied a carabiner in its place and then slide it through where the other end of the clip went.

    Really a great pack, hopefully TNF keeps making it, I plan on buying an updated one when the time comes

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washcycleton
    Posts
    739
    The Ortovox Haute packs are awesome! I use the 40l
    . Avy gear pocket, usable main pocket, back panel zipper, great rope carry, ice axe loops, A-frame or diagonal carry for sticks.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washcycleton
    Posts
    739
    Great helmet carry too

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by twoturn View Post
    The Ortovox Haute packs are awesome! I use the 40l
    . Avy gear pocket, usable main pocket, back panel zipper, great rope carry, ice axe loops, A-frame or diagonal carry for sticks.
    Good to hear...just ordered the 32L today. I tried it on with weight and on my 6'2" frame seemed to carry very comfortably, very noticeable difference from the Mammut Nirvana 35 I tried on at the same time.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washcycleton
    Posts
    739
    I have 3 different Ortovox packs and they all carry well. Never really feels like I have a pack on. I am 5‘8 with a 45“ chest and the fit well. Well thought out features. No crap that one really wouldn’t use. The helmet carries are removable and fit all helmets I have, including a XL Smith helmet..

    I have the Traverse 40, Haute Route 40 and the Tour Rider 30. robust zippers with the back panel opening.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Anyone use the Ortovox Ascent 32 or Deuter Freeride Pro 34 (paging whyturn)?

    Searching for a lightweight 30-35L ski mountaineering pack with ice axe carry, rope carry, helmet storage, and separate avy compartment. Those were on my shortlist. Seems like the Haute Route 32 could fit the bill but may be a little overbuilt for what I’m looking for.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Anyone use the Ortovox Ascent 32 or Deuter Freeride Pro 34 (paging whyturn)?

    Searching for a lightweight 30-35L ski mountaineering pack with ice axe carry, rope carry, helmet storage, and separate avy compartment. Those were on my shortlist. Seems like the Haute Route 32 could fit the bill but may be a little overbuilt for what Iím looking for.
    Iím kind of looking for the same. The BD Cirque 35 was on my shortlist to try but itís out of stock.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    11,541
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Iím kind of looking for the same. The BD Cirque 35 was on my shortlist to try but itís out of stock.
    I love my Cirque 35. Iím a fan of simple


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    446
    ^im super happy with my Ortovox Haute route 40. I usually carry a DSLR or drone with me so I need an extra 8L or so. Otherwise a 32L would be good.

    I like the back panel access, large top entrance, compressible, outside pocket to easily and securely fit car keys or small camera. Easy access to avy compartment. Lightweight

    Things I donít like: the pouch that holds a water bladder is too tight to hold a 2L bladder. I use it for snacks and leave the bladder loose in the pack.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Iím kind of looking for the same. The BD Cirque 35 was on my shortlist to try but itís out of stock.
    I was going to check it out but really wish it had a separate avy compartment outside of the main compartment. The Blue Ice Kume 30 looks like it has potential too but again, not much info out there yet.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    ^im super happy with my Ortovox Haute route 40. I usually carry a DSLR or drone with me so I need an extra 8L or so. Otherwise a 32L would be good.

    I like the back panel access, large top entrance, compressible, outside pocket to easily and securely fit car keys or small camera. Easy access to avy compartment. Lightweight

    Things I donít like: the pouch that holds a water bladder is too tight to hold a 2L bladder. I use it for snacks and leave the bladder loose in the pack.
    Good to know thanks. I donít typically use hydration bladders so thatís not much of a concern. Maybe Iíll try to get my hands on one.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    567
    I replaced my BD Cirque 35 with one of these this year. I feel like it's an improvement in almost every way with the small weight penalty

    https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...k-1945771.html

    Side pocket for skins is nice
    Front Avy pocket
    Carries really well with the frame
    Skimo style carry is nice

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I replaced my BD Cirque 35 with one of these this year. I feel like it's an improvement in almost every way with the small weight penalty

    https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...k-1945771.html

    Side pocket for skins is nice
    Front Avy pocket
    Carries really well with the frame
    Skimo style carry is nice
    Is the frame removable? Does it pack down much smaller? 40L could be a little overkill for most of my days out.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    307
    Has anyone used the Atomic Backland 22+ or 30+? On paper itís very close to my ideal pack. Roll top; avy pocket, skin/crampon skimo style pocket; helmet sling.

    Looks like the 30+ is hard to find one line in the US but available from Ďyurp.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,549
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Anyone use the Ortovox Ascent 32 or Deuter Freeride Pro 34 (paging whyturn)?

    Searching for a lightweight 30-35L ski mountaineering pack with ice axe carry, rope carry, helmet storage, and separate avy compartment. Those were on my shortlist. Seems like the Haute Route 32 could fit the bill but may be a little overbuilt for what I’m looking for.
    just spent a week with my Deuter FR Pro 34 on a hut trip. First time using it so not enough time to fully assess durability but really liked the layout, light weight, and it carried very well so long as i kept the somewhat minimalist waist strap appropriately cinched down. Included helmet carry could be better, the open hooks that attach it tend to disconnect if too aggressively loosed when removing helmet and the external skin pocket could be better if it had some more stretch as its not that easy to load wide skins in it when the pack is full but i found myself using the interior section since it gets warmed by your back and i'm not fond of stashing them inside my shell for the down. For the closeout price i paid, very very happy with it.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    just spent a week with my Deuter FR Pro 34 on a hut trip. First time using it so not enough time to fully assess durability but really liked the layout, light weight, and it carried very well so long as i kept the somewhat minimalist waist strap appropriately cinched down. Included helmet carry could be better, the open hooks that attach it tend to disconnect if too aggressively loosed when removing helmet and the external skin pocket could be better if it had some more stretch as its not that easy to load wide skins in it when the pack is full but i found myself using the interior section since it gets warmed by your back and i'm not fond of stashing them inside my shell for the down. For the closeout price i paid, very very happy with it.
    Thanks for the input, how is it pulling the shovel/probe in and out with it fully loaded?

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Is the frame removable? Does it pack down much smaller? 40L could be a little overkill for most of my days out.
    Picked up one as well. You can take the frame out, but not sure it's needed. The sides straps cinch it down pretty tight - to the point where it's juuusst small enough for quick warm-weather day trips (aka my lightest load). But if you're uber lightnfast it will be too big.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    be here now
    Posts
    5,213
    Juat got an Ortovox Tour rider 30. Seems like a tight package
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Juat got an Ortovox Tour rider 30. Seems like a tight package
    Any way to attach a rope to the top of it? I checked it out but didnít see that listed as a feature.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    How anyone can tour for a full day with all the necessary food, water, layers, gear, repair kit, etc in anything less than a 35l pack is mind boggling to me...
    Emergency bivy
    First-aid kit
    Headlamp
    Voile straps for emergencies
    Leather man Skeleton tool
    Down jacket (mostly just in case)
    Softshell
    Hardshell
    1x 700ml water bottle
    1x 500ml Thermos bottle
    Plastic box with protein bars
    Ski crampons
    Ski goggles
    Thick ski gloves
    Sunglasses
    Ski helm
    (shovel and Probe it goes without saying)
    With a 30l pack I have room to spare.
    Rope, axe and crampons wouldn't be an issue, but usually I don't need them.
    A 25l pack would even go, but it would be unnecessarily tight.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Has anyone used the Atomic Backland 22+ or 30+? On paper itís very close to my ideal pack. Roll top; avy pocket, skin/crampon skimo style pocket; helmet sling.

    Looks like the 30+ is hard to find one line in the US but available from Ďyurp.
    I agree these look really nice! I especially like the look of the ski carry hook. I'm unclear as to if its possible to carry an ice axe and skis at the same time, I guess you could use the ski carry loop for both

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I agree these look really nice! I especially like the look of the ski carry hook. I'm unclear as to if its possible to carry an ice axe and skis at the same time, I guess you could use the ski carry loop for both
    I was wondering the same, also curious as to how well the velcro flap for crampon/skin storage stays shut.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •