Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Just got Deuter Freerider 34 pro
    It’s compact but seems well laid out. Wish it had bladder sleeve for the tube. But pocket placement seems smart and for 34 it’s a nice size which I was worried about. Will fill it with gear and advise

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Lots of interesting options that I hadn't heard of in this thread. I've been liking TNF Snowmad 34 for a non-airbag option. The helmet carry/stash pocket is the standout feature on the pack, which is otherwise unremarkable in a good way - it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Lots of interesting options that I hadn't heard of in this thread. I've been liking TNF Snowmad 34 for a non-airbag option. The helmet carry/stash pocket is the standout feature on the pack, which is otherwise unremarkable in a good way - it just works.
    Yeah I hate fiddling with helmet carry. Stash & go seems really nice, but curious to know how it works IRL

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah I hate fiddling with helmet carry. Stash & go seems really nice, but curious to know how it works IRL
    It works really really Nice I have the Snowmad 34 for my do it all touring pack, and every time I think about getting something new, it is primarily the stow and go helmet carry system (which then becomes the skin pocket for the down) that keeps me from even considering a switch. I'm not about to swap to a helmet carry system. For reference I have a Pret Cynic X helmet. I wish there was a pocket on each side of the hip belt (my only gripe) but the gear loop is nice and useful. Multiple ways to carry skis. Ice Axe attachement. Main Pocket holds everything I need and then some. Avy Tool pocket is organized and easy to access. The only other beef is the zipper pocket on the back by where you stow the helmet can be hard to access when the helmet is strapped in. But that is really not a huge deal. The clip for that part of the pack broke on mine a couple years back, and I tied a carabiner in its place and then slide it through where the other end of the clip went.

Really a great pack, hopefully TNF keeps making it, I plan on buying an updated one when the time comes

The Ortovox Haute packs are awesome! I use the 40l
    . Avy gear pocket, usable main pocket, back panel zipper, great rope carry, ice axe loops, A-frame or diagonal carry for sticks.

Great helmet carry too

Quote Originally Posted by twoturn View Post
    The Ortovox Haute packs are awesome! I use the 40l
    . Avy gear pocket, usable main pocket, back panel zipper, great rope carry, ice axe loops, A-frame or diagonal carry for sticks.
    Good to hear...just ordered the 32L today. I tried it on with weight and on my 6'2" frame seemed to carry very comfortably, very noticeable difference from the Mammut Nirvana 35 I tried on at the same time.

I have 3 different Ortovox packs and they all carry well. Never really feels like I have a pack on. I am 5‘8 with a 45“ chest and the fit well. Well thought out features. No crap that one really wouldn’t use. The helmet carries are removable and fit all helmets I have, including a XL Smith helmet..

I have the Traverse 40, Haute Route 40 and the Tour Rider 30. robust zippers with the back panel opening.

Anyone use the Ortovox Ascent 32 or Deuter Freeride Pro 34 (paging whyturn)?

Searching for a lightweight 30-35L ski mountaineering pack with ice axe carry, rope carry, helmet storage, and separate avy compartment. Those were on my shortlist. Seems like the Haute Route 32 could fit the bill but may be a little overbuilt for what I’m looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post

Searching for a lightweight 30-35L ski mountaineering pack with ice axe carry, rope carry, helmet storage, and separate avy compartment. Those were on my shortlist. Seems like the Haute Route 32 could fit the bill but may be a little overbuilt for what I’m looking for.
    I’m kind of looking for the same. The BD Cirque 35 was on my shortlist to try but it’s out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I’m kind of looking for the same. The BD Cirque 35 was on my shortlist to try but it’s out of stock.
    I love my Cirque 35. I’m a fan of simple

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^im super happy with my Ortovox Haute route 40. I usually carry a DSLR or drone with me so I need an extra 8L or so. Otherwise a 32L would be good.

I like the back panel access, large top entrance, compressible, outside pocket to easily and securely fit car keys or small camera. Easy access to avy compartment. Lightweight

Things I don’t like: the pouch that holds a water bladder is too tight to hold a 2L bladder. I use it for snacks and leave the bladder loose in the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I was going to check it out but really wish it had a separate avy compartment outside of the main compartment. The Blue Ice Kume 30 looks like it has potential too but again, not much info out there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    ^im super happy with my Ortovox Haute route 40. I usually carry a DSLR or drone with me so I need an extra 8L or so. Otherwise a 32L would be good.

I like the back panel access, large top entrance, compressible, outside pocket to easily and securely fit car keys or small camera. Easy access to avy compartment. Lightweight

Things I don’t like: the pouch that holds a water bladder is too tight to hold a 2L bladder. I use it for snacks and leave the bladder loose in the pack.
    Good to know thanks. I don’t typically use hydration bladders so that’s not much of a concern. Maybe I’ll try to get my hands on one.

I replaced my BD Cirque 35 with one of these this year. I feel like it's an improvement in almost every way with the small weight penalty

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...k-1945771.html

Side pocket for skins is nice
    Front Avy pocket
    Carries really well with the frame
    Skimo style carry is nice

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I replaced my BD Cirque 35 with one of these this year. I feel like it's an improvement in almost every way with the small weight penalty

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...k-1945771.html

Side pocket for skins is nice
    Front Avy pocket
    Carries really well with the frame
    Skimo style carry is nice
    Is the frame removable? Does it pack down much smaller? 40L could be a little overkill for most of my days out.

Has anyone used the Atomic Backland 22+ or 30+? On paper it’s very close to my ideal pack. Roll top; avy pocket, skin/crampon skimo style pocket; helmet sling.

Looks like the 30+ is hard to find one line in the US but available from ‘yurp.

just spent a week with my Deuter FR Pro 34 on a hut trip. First time using it so not enough time to fully assess durability but really liked the layout, light weight, and it carried very well so long as i kept the somewhat minimalist waist strap appropriately cinched down. Included helmet carry could be better, the open hooks that attach it tend to disconnect if too aggressively loosed when removing helmet and the external skin pocket could be better if it had some more stretch as its not that easy to load wide skins in it when the pack is full but i found myself using the interior section since it gets warmed by your back and i'm not fond of stashing them inside my shell for the down. For the closeout price i paid, very very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    just spent a week with my Deuter FR Pro 34 on a hut trip. First time using it so not enough time to fully assess durability but really liked the layout, light weight, and it carried very well so long as i kept the somewhat minimalist waist strap appropriately cinched down. Included helmet carry could be better, the open hooks that attach it tend to disconnect if too aggressively loosed when removing helmet and the external skin pocket could be better if it had some more stretch as its not that easy to load wide skins in it when the pack is full but i found myself using the interior section since it gets warmed by your back and i'm not fond of stashing them inside my shell for the down. For the closeout price i paid, very very happy with it.
    Thanks for the input, how is it pulling the shovel/probe in and out with it fully loaded?

Is the frame removable? Does it pack down much smaller? 40L could be a little overkill for most of my days out.
    Picked up one as well. You can take the frame out, but not sure it's needed. The sides straps cinch it down pretty tight - to the point where it's juuusst small enough for quick warm-weather day trips (aka my lightest load). But if you're uber lightnfast it will be too big.

Juat got an Ortovox Tour rider 30. Seems like a tight package
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Juat got an Ortovox Tour rider 30. Seems like a tight package
    Any way to attach a rope to the top of it? I checked it out but didn’t see that listed as a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    How anyone can tour for a full day with all the necessary food, water, layers, gear, repair kit, etc in anything less than a 35l pack is mind boggling to me...
    Emergency bivy
    First-aid kit
    Headlamp
    Voile straps for emergencies
    Leather man Skeleton tool
    Down jacket (mostly just in case)
    Softshell
    Hardshell
    1x 700ml water bottle
    1x 500ml Thermos bottle
    Plastic box with protein bars
    Ski crampons
    Ski goggles
    Thick ski gloves
    Sunglasses
    Ski helm
    (shovel and Probe it goes without saying)
    With a 30l pack I have room to spare.
    Rope, axe and crampons wouldn't be an issue, but usually I don't need them.
    A 25l pack would even go, but it would be unnecessarily tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Has anyone used the Atomic Backland 22+ or 30+? On paper it’s very close to my ideal pack. Roll top; avy pocket, skin/crampon skimo style pocket; helmet sling.

Looks like the 30+ is hard to find one line in the US but available from ‘yurp.
    I agree these look really nice! I especially like the look of the ski carry hook. I'm unclear as to if its possible to carry an ice axe and skis at the same time, I guess you could use the ski carry loop for both

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I agree these look really nice! I especially like the look of the ski carry hook. I'm unclear as to if its possible to carry an ice axe and skis at the same time, I guess you could use the ski carry loop for both
    I was wondering the same, also curious as to how well the velcro flap for crampon/skin storage stays shut.