‘21/‘22 Pike Ultimate, anyone Have Time On One?

Have one in my shopping cart. Curious, however, if it will ‘blow me away’ compared to the ‘19 performance 34 (with Luftkappe) I have now. Impressions?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

RC2 or RCT3? I've been on my RC2 Pike set to 150mm for about 500 miles. My short answer is not necessarily, assuming your 34 has the Grip damper. I do feel like it was a substantial improvement over the revelation w/ motion control damper that I had previously. If you don't have any problems with the fork feeling like crap after repetitive hits it may not be worth it. That is where the I think the RC2 damper will provide an improvement.

What may be more noticeable is an increase in stiffness with very little weight penalty. Maybe it was placebo, but to me it feels more stout compared to a 34 I had on a Ripley.

It's interesting that the Luftkappe enlarges the negative air chamber and the new C1 debonair air spring reduces it. Reading what the Luftkappe is designed to do, it's like Rockshox wanted to do the exact opposite with the C1. They said, oh the B2 is too soft at the top and ramps up too much. Here is the C1 that stays up in the stroke and doesn't spike lower in the travel (um, linear). With high and low speed adjustment, volume spacers, and air pressure, I feel like most air springs can be made to work. I will say, to me the C1 isn't as supple as the B1. It's firm, but very controlled. I can charge through stuff and it generally stays composed. I reduced pressure by 5 to 7 psi with the C1. One of these days I'm going to put the B1 back in for comparison.

Really it seems like a comparison between dampers and potentially stiffness. Maybe try it and if you don't like it I'm sure it will sell easily.
    Last edited by g_man80; 10-30-2021 at 09:31 PM.

I think what I am going for is stiffness, now that I am used to a Zeb, the 34 just feels squirrelly at speed (duh). My damper in the 34 is the original Grip, with just the ‘two position’ blue compression knob, and rebound. No other knobs.
    I use quotes because you can use the lever in any position and it progressively controls HSC.
    Which I basically never touch.

I’m just some hack, but my new Pike Ultimate is a way better fork than my 2018 36 (w/ grip2)

Steers better. Small bump compliance. Chunk. All of it. A better ride.

@rideit is this for the new whip?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sí.
    Probably getting the Pike and a Float X.
    The bike will be Ele-MENTAL

I bought a new bike with the Pike Ultimate this spring. The Pike is definitely stiffer than the step cast 34 I've got on my cross country bike. It has more midstroke support than the 34 as well but I think the Pike lacks the small bump compliance of the 34.

I do think that this Pike Ultimate is an improvement over the Pike Select+ that I had on a previous bike (better small bump). I found the Select+ Pike to be really harsh over small chattery repeated hits.

And the new Element looks amazing in tge pictures I've seen. If it rides half as good as it looks you'll be one happy customer.

FWIW I'm really happy with the DVO Sapphire and Topaz on my Ripley. They are noticeably burlier than the Foxes they replaced.

For me the big plus is that they are super easy to rebuild with no stupid crush washers etc. Fresh oil makes a big difference in suspension performance. Also, the dampers hold a lot more oil to start with, which makes both ends handle heat better on longer descents. I needed some travel spacers and DVO shipped them to me super fast, gratis.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I’m a fox fanboi, but went for a 120 pike ultimate for epic EVO, it’s the best short travel form I’ve ever used. Supple AF. It may not be quite as great as my fox 36 grip 2 on my 165, especially further in its travel but it’s much more supple off the top, and just a wonderful fork.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.