Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2021/22 BC Southern Interior

FOMO is strong today - seeing new posts in the Skintrack Stoke thread, headlines that some CO resorts are opening, etc. Good things come to those who wait they say, but it's hard sometimes.

Fresh dose of white peaks as the clouds are lifting today - any getting after it yet?

I'm curious, what's the read on Salmo Ski Hill? Is there a nice community there, how is the terrain/snow?

Also curious about the same topics in regards to Phoenix Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Riblet Tramway View Post
    I'm curious, what's the read on Salmo Ski Hill? Is there a nice community there, how is the terrain/snow?

Also curious about the same topics in regards to Phoenix Mountain.
    Well they are fun for jibbing around on for sure. But you're going to need a red or Whitewater pass for actual goods.

Appreciate the perspective. I'm looking forward to exploring the area (just purchased backcountry guidebooks/maps for the Rossland Range and Kootenay Pass).

Night skiing at Salmo was super fun when I was going to school in Nelson. Just make sure you set a Designated Driver prior to ha.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Dragging Ms.Doc out to Rossland to tentatively search for a new pad. Looks like a mix of rain/snow
    How're the trails doing? Worth bringing bikes? Snow level low enough to hike for turns?

If you're going to follow anyone's advice, follow this.
    Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Night skiing at Salmo was super fun when I was going to school in Nelson. Just make sure you set a Designated Driver prior to ha.

Is Revelstoke part of this thread? Gonna go get moist in the Gorge tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Dragging Ms.Doc out to Rossland to tentatively search for a new pad. Looks like a mix of rain/snow
    How're the trails doing? Worth bringing bikes? Snow level low enough to hike for turns?
    Not enough snow locally to ski yet - maybe further afield? WX station at top of the ski hill reporting 12 cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Come help me gentrify Metaline Falls lol. There's great access to Whitewater, Kootenay Pass, the Salmo-Priest Wilderness, also it's the only place in NE WA I saw multiple Biden signs.

That being said the towns of Salmo and Rossland are both great.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Not enough snow locally to ski yet - maybe further afield? WX station at top of the ski hill reporting 12 cm.
    What’s that in Freedom Units?

Quote Originally Posted by Boonshackle View Post
    Is Revelstoke part of this thread? Gonna go get moist in the Gorge tomorrow...
    Rained up there yesterday all day and day prior was reported 30cm at 15km. Good luck!

Rained up there yesterday all day and day prior was reported 30cm at 15km. Good luck!
    Yep pretty terrible but enough to slide around on.

Tell me more! Heading up next week

Tell me more! Heading up next week
    5-10cm at 15k with a 3-5cm breakable crust on top. Enough to walk up the lumpy road/quad trail that trends climber's right. Followed that to 1700ish m then turned left into open forest where travel is relatively easy. 30-40cm HS at 1950ish m. We didn't dig a pit. Top 5 turns were 5/10. The rest was survival skiing breakable crust and bushes.

Consensus was it's not ready.

Name:  me nov5.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  275.9 KB
    Last edited by Boonshackle; 11-06-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Great info thanks. Praying for tons of snow this week

Looks promising
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211107-092257_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	740.2 KB 
ID:	391912

Probably the wrong thread for this, but looking at potentially doing a cat skiing trip and given how close we are to the season, generally the only thing available is late March. How risky is it to go then? At least it will be noticeably cheaper that time of year, although still a significant chunk of change.

A bit risky but I have had some amazing days up at Monashee Pow after they have closed for the season, mid aprilish. Last year we had back to back weekends of deep and stable snow with cold clear days.

Any Red mags around these parts? Dad's friend's daughter lives out there, and we've been asked to go out for a visit mid-late Feb. Yeah I can ask them for advice but I'd rather get it from the local dentists.

Best places to crash for 2-3 dudes? Stay in town, rent a car, fly in to what airport?

I've always wanted to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Any Red mags around these parts? Dad's friend's daughter lives out there, and we've been asked to go out for a visit mid-late Feb. Yeah I can ask them for advice but I'd rather get it from the local dentists.

Best places to crash for 2-3 dudes? Stay in town, rent a car, fly in to what airport?

I've always wanted to go there.
    Fly into Spokane and drive up, only 2.5 hours. There’s a hostel in town or try Airbnb, otherwise affordable lodging is a little limited.

Also, Introduce me to this daughter so I can marry her for dual citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Fly into Spokane and drive up, only 2.5 hours. There’s a hostel in town or try Airbnb, otherwise affordable lodging is a little limited.

Also, Introduce me to this daughter so I can marry her for dual citizenship.
    So, we're coming from Canada so flight to Spokane would mean $200 PCR test both ways, and the PITA of getting it and the results (which may even trigger positive).

I've never met the daughter. I will scope out the situation and report back.

Fly to Cranbrook , rent car hit a bunch of other places, Kimberly (near airport), Fernie, Whitewater(almost on way to red). Bring touring gear and hit the pass on way. There's Castlegar which is closest but a bit risky getting in and out- if you don't mind waiting a day or two if closed, then that is by far easiest. Another option is Kelowna. Neither Kelowna or Cranbrook are close though (easier drive to Kelowna than Cranbrook).

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    So, we're coming from Canada so flight to Spokane would mean $200 PCR test both ways, and the PITA of getting it and the results (which may even trigger positive).

I've never met the daughter. I will scope out the situation and report back.
    You could fly to Castlegar, but in winter the airport's nickname is Cancelgar, so I would recommend flying to Kelowna.

Looks like Kelowna it is. Easier to get the xfer from Calgary anyway. Think I went to WW like 22 years ago when I was a lifty at Pano - some of the most snow I've ever seen in one place. Excited to see it again. Could've been somewhere else though, memory and brain cells are a little suspect from that time.

Thanks for the beta.