Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    we just bailed on Nelson in favour of Revy, looks like they may fair a bit better with a few systems through the week, no-cancel reso's for Red though end of week, so may have to be satisfied with ripping groomers there!

Baldface is skiing well still apparently as it's high enough.
    Wh20 isn't bad considering and is due more precip by Wednesday. As long as the freezing levels drop, it'll be all good.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UkBCyeti View Post
    Wh20 isn't bad considering and is due more precip by Wednesday. As long as the freezing levels drop, it'll be all good.

Appreciate the beta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries. Happy to help!

Spent a week at Hilda at 1950m. Even up to 2300m there was rain and pineapple crust.

From others:

Sol in Monashees also got wet.
    CMH Nakusp & Kootenays wet and shut down for at least a day
    BRC ditto

Selkirk Lodge just made it to the cooler temps so snowpack survived
    Powder Creek ditto
    Sentry ditto
    Icefall ditto
    Kicking Horse ditto

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Spent a week at Hilda at 1950m. Even up to 2300m there was rain and pineapple crust.

From others:

Sol in Monashees also got wet.
    CMH Nakusp & Kootenays wet and shut down for at least a day
    BRC ditto

Selkirk Lodge just made it to the cooler temps so snowpack survived
    Powder Creek ditto
    Sentry ditto
    Icefall ditto
    Kicking Horse ditto
    The zipper crust is actually skiing pretty good. Especially in more featured, bouncy terrain. It's not blower but it's still full send

Good news, booked for a day Feb. 10th, fingers crossed for lots of refills.

Anyone have any recent experience crossing into Canada at Paterson?

Im flying into Spokane on Sunday Feb 6th, hoping to drive to Rossland. Fully vaxed with PCR test in hand hoping to get into Canada for a couple days...

I had six coworkers do that crossing yesterday. No problems getting through. They sent a manifest up early and said no hassles or haggles.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    I had six coworkers do that crossing yesterday. No problems getting through. They sent a manifest up early and said no hassles or haggles.

Be warned that the crossing closes at 4. Not 8 as it says in the website and signs

Crossed last Monday with a total group of five. No issues but one guy was randomly selected for the COVID test and said the instructions and info were less than clear. He completed it within 36 hours (not the required 24) as was on hold for a long time and missed the 6:00 drop time at the drugstore in Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Crossed last Monday with a total group of five. No issues but one guy was randomly selected for the COVID test and said the instructions and info were less than clear. He completed it within 36 hours (not the required 24) as was on hold for a long time and missed the 6:00 drop time at the drugstore in Trail.
    Was he able to get in or did they stop him and make him wait?

Be warned that the crossing closes at 4. Not 8 as it says in the website and signs
    What about the crossing at nelway?

LeeLau - Nelway or Paterson? I knew Nelway adjusted but that is new info for Paterson. Paterson was 24 hrs.

Nelway https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/of...x/550-eng.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeeLau - Nelway or Paterson? I knew Nelway adjusted but that is new info for Paterson. Paterson was 24 hrs.

Nelway https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/of...x/550-eng.html
    My bad! I checked with my friends and it was Nelway

Appreciate the beta

Maybe bring those less pow specific skis if you're not packed already.
    Forecast has downgraded precip, now saying just trace amounts Wednesday.

https://mountainculturegroup.com/ten...tish-columbia/

What an excellent well-written piece with historical context; describing a problem and proposing a solution. As for this : "“It’s the lack of government planning and management that’s actually at the heart of all this, rather than the tenure process,” --- Yes. A thousand times yes.
    Holds true for the Kootenays, for the South Coast also

Definitely. It would be interesting to see if the Golden land use idea could work here. I suspect there are too many varying interests to come to a compromise on anything to do with the land, as it's another 20 years on from that working in Golden.
    Zincton is a perfect example of knee jerk reactions to any new operations putting themselves out there.
    It can be difficult to make inroads into the already entrenched industry in the Kootenays.

It would be interesting to see if the Golden land use idea could work here. I suspect there are too many varying interests to come to a compromise on anything to do with the land, as it's another 20 years on from that working in Golden.
    Yup. There's tenure fatigue especially in the south and west Kootenays and for good reason. The tenure map is eye-opening. I do feel bad for anyone even trying to apply as there's simply going to be a knee-jerk bring out the pitchforks reaction. Golden was remarkable; user groups speaking to each other instead of yelling at each other.

Yup. There's tenure fatigue especially in the south and west Kootenays and for good reason. The tenure map is eye-opening. I do feel bad for anyone even trying to apply as there's simply going to be a knee-jerk bring out the pitchforks reaction. Golden was remarkable; user groups speaking to each other instead of yelling at each other.
    That last sentence. Would be great to see that happen here.
    The tenure map is something else. There's also some winter tenures that aren't being used at all. Luckily they seem to be open to access for all if they're not using them.
    We thought about looking at a tenure for a project a couple of years ago. Didn't look for long!

Use this if you really want to dig in https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/d...mapping/imapbc

Go look at the Valkyrs or the area south of Kokanee. So many overlaps!!!!

Yeah I had a nose at that before. Thanks for the link though, I'd lost it!

It's insane how covered that zone is!
    We were looking south of Kokanee....

Yeah I had a nose at that before. Thanks for the link though, I'd lost it!

It's insane how covered that zone is!
    We were looking south of Kokanee....
    Read up about New Denver and Rilor Wilderness and how much acrimony that raised. It was borderline scary. I think it's archived in KMC.

https://mountainculturegroup.com/ten...tish-columbia/

What an excellent well-written piece with historical context; describing a problem and proposing a solution. As for this : "“It’s the lack of government planning and management that’s actually at the heart of all this, rather than the tenure process,” --- Yes. A thousand times yes.
    Holds true for the Kootenays, for the South Coast also
    It’s both. Having land use designation default to an amalgam of the dreams of a bunch of eccentric misanthropes, is no substitute for actual evidence based and properly resourced planning and management.
    Unfortunately we’re now at the point where there is so much pressure on the land base, and so many divergent interests, that getting meaningful participation in any process that might require giving up existing privileges is impossible. Nobody wants to invest in a “collaborative” process in which only those who think they’re going to “win” participate, nobody accepts the results, and otherwise everyone just gets yelled at.
    The GBRAP process is widely lauded as a success, but my friends in Golden tell me it’s become irrelevant due to significantly changed (since 1999) recreation patterns and all the usual predictable disfunction.
    I don’t see any answer but for some fantasy of enlightened top-down governance, based on principles of long term ecological sustainability, and “common good” based value judgements, and which also deals with the cluster fuck that is forest management in BC. One can dream.

I started reading the VW 9 page letter against the tenure. Wow they were unstoked, eh?