Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Advice for a dry-climate guy (CO) headed your way -- when you're going for a week in a hut outside of Nelson -- what sort of outwear layers do you bring? Hardshell pants/jacket? Hardshell pants, softshell and hardshell jackets? All softshells?
    Whatever you wear in Colorado will work in the B.C. interior.

Mid Jan. Ymir hut. 1900m elevation.

Oh, and it's a heli drop in. So not overly concerned about an extra pair of pants or two shells.
    Ymir in mid Jan you should expect colder temps but nothing overly bad for CO people. Shells for storm touring. Majority of the time Softshell will be fine. Bring spare goggles for over the head faceshots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0431.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	826.3 KB 
ID:	397133
    The sun came out today.

^^^ That looks nice ^^^

Very nice! Silver Star reported 10cm skied like 25
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Advice for a dry-climate guy (CO) headed your way -- when you're going for a week in a hut outside of Nelson -- what sort of outwear layers do you bring? Hardshell pants/jacket? Hardshell pants, softshell and hardshell jackets? All softshells?
    You’ll want your best Gortex hard shells.
    It’s a lot moister than here.

Looking for a recommendation on a decent motel/hotel to stay ON in Kelowna next Tuesday. I just need a quiet clean place to sleep and will be headed oout on the road Weds am. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Looking for a recommendation on a decent motel/hotel to stay ON in Kelowna next Tuesday. I just need a quiet clean place to sleep and will be headed oout on the road Weds am. Thanks
    The Grand obviously

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Ymir in mid Jan you should expect colder temps but nothing overly bad for CO people. Shells for storm touring. Majority of the time Softshell will be fine. Bring spare goggles for over the head faceshots
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    You’ll want your best Gortex hard shells.
    It’s a lot moister than here.
    Thanks all. Going to bring hardshell pants and my Freeride Systems hardshell (NeoShell). May try to pickup a softshell that fits better too prior to the adventure.

Hmmm.. Looks like I can do much better than the Grand obviously. Unbelievably poor accomodation and rooms for the $300 something they charge... more

While a great location the resort is very rundown. Stained carpets, dirty p... more

^^ I think he was being sarcastic.

Mega deep yesterday. Blower and stable.

Name:	20211219_123317.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	397656

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Hmmm.. Looks like I can do much better than the Grand obviously. Unbelievably poor accomodation and rooms for the $300 something they charge... more

While a great location the resort is very rundown. Stained carpets, dirty p... more
    The Coast Capri should be fine. Cheap, clean, close to decent food options. Roughly equivalent travel times in both directions.

Hampton Inn or Sheraton at the airport should also be fine for an overnighter in the event you're heading north.

Fuck, I hate Kelowna

Snowburder death at SilverStar this weekend...

Name:	F5B8CA14-C7E6-409D-A11D-AA7DE173E0F7.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	397737
    Norns Range.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ended up at the Microtel which is coveniently located for a quick escape in the am. Too bad I can't stick around and sample the local stuff or RP on the way home. It appears that the interior is off to a good start and more incoming to keep things fresh!

New round of restrictions making me nervous for my hut trip in late Jan...hard to tell if huts would be impacted. Likely not?

New round of restrictions making me nervous for my hut trip in late Jan...hard to tell if huts would be impacted. Likely not?
    Moving goal posts and hoops to jump thru at the border, probably the biggest concern.

Yeah me too. Got carlye booked end of Jan. This was bumped from last winter....

Skiing is so good right now! 2m base.

Name:	20211221_131234.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	397777

Yep, things are shaping up nicely in the Monashees. I know lots of people with lots of plans this winter…which could get thrown out the window, but in the meantime we’ll try to keep content with this cold and deep snowpack…

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post

Name:	F5B8CA14-C7E6-409D-A11D-AA7DE173E0F7.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	397737
    Norns Range.
    Stunning shot

Heading into Sentry Lodge on Boxing Day. Feedback yesterday from GAH Regarding the implications of the latest restrictions:

“No changes, we are classified as an organized event (not a vacation Rental), so since we have a COVID plan in place we can continue on.
    All that changes is we have to check for Vax status, but we are already doing that for Alpine Heli. Masks are still in play for flying in and when can’t social distance around the other groups etc.
    But we (Backcountry Lodge Association ) got word from the PHO that the order wasn’t meant to affect Backcountry Lodges”

Fantastic info -- appreciate it!

Heading into Sentry Lodge on Boxing Day. Feedback yesterday from GAH Regarding the implications of the latest restrictions:

“No changes, we are classified as an organized event (not a vacation Rental), so since we have a COVID plan in place we can continue on.
    All that changes is we have to check for Vax status, but we are already doing that for Alpine Heli. Masks are still in play for flying in and when can’t social distance around the other groups etc.
    But we (Backcountry Lodge Association ) got word from the PHO that the order wasn’t meant to affect Backcountry Lodges”
    That’s- good news for operators!!

I just got out of a 10 day hut trip...the skiing was epic but everyone fell ill for Christmas....

This is also true for mechanized operators also fyi. Cat Skiing and Heli skiing is fine: for now. Good for guides who've not lean couple of years

Southern invader here looking for some travel advice from BC residents. I was sad to read about all the flood damage this fall, and am hoping to plan my trip to avoid adding traffic to routes that might already be overloaded due to repair work. I'm planning to make the drive from Seattle to Golden on January 14th - one I've done many times before. Drive time north going on I-5 and routing around the closed Coquihalla on 3 and 5a is similar to going east on 90 through Spokane and then through Cranbrook. Does it make more sense to take that southern route and avoid potential construction delays and closures on and around the Coquihalla? Part of the reason I am asking in advance is that I need to schedule covid tests ahead of time, and that needs to be timed precisely with the border crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Southern invader here looking for some travel advice from BC residents. I was sad to read about all the flood damage this fall, and am hoping to plan my trip to avoid adding traffic to routes that might already be overloaded due to repair work. I'm planning to make the drive from Seattle to Golden on January 14th - one I've done many times before. Drive time north going on I-5 and routing around the closed Coquihalla on 3 and 5a is similar to going east on 90 through Spokane and then through Cranbrook. Does it make more sense to take that southern route and avoid potential construction delays and closures on and around the Coquihalla? Part of the reason I am asking in advance is that I need to schedule covid tests ahead of time, and that needs to be timed precisely with the border crossing.
    I would think that driving on I-90 past Spokane and then thru Bonner's Ferry and up the Columbia Valley via hwy 95 to Golden would be the best route from Seattle.