Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tail Clip alternatives?

Tail Clip alternatives?

On some skis the tails clips easily slip off. Then they flap around and the tail clips gets lost. I am running out of spare BD clips.

Did anyone find an alternative that works better?
    I am thinking to screw a hook to my skis. Should work no?

The G3 tail clips work very well. The Contour ones are more minimal but get the job done. Pomoca and BD are not good IMO. I like the custom tail clips on DPS-branded Pomoca skins.

there are 2 ways to put a BD clip on the tail leash

if you instal the clip so the tail is trailing straight out behind the ski it will rip the leash and/or come off more easily

another way is to turn the clip around so the tail leash curls forward over the top of the ski tail with the clip on top holding the strap down so all of the strap is touching the ski top, which I find secure and the tail straps don't get ripped

if this is a ski with a rounded full wrap edge maybe you need the G3 twin tip tail hooks which never come off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I ground a small notch in the back of my touring skis that keeps the clip in place.
    Stole the idea from an old touring partner.
    Works on trad skis. If twin tippy think G3 only option

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    On some skis the tails clips easily slip off. Then they flap around and the tail clips gets lost. I am running out of spare BD clips.

Did anyone find an alternative that works better?
    I am thinking to screw a hook to my skis. Should work no?
    I'd be very curious to hear how this works if you try it.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'd be very curious to hear how this works if you try it.
    Some contour skins that are sold with skimo-racing style tips come stock with a similar tail clip. I didn't think it was very functional. Contour also sells aftermarket "shark" style fixed hooks https://skimo.co/contour-skin-parts

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I ground a small notch in the back of my touring skis that keeps the clip in place.
    Stole the idea from an old touring partner.
    Works on trad skis. If twin tippy think G3 only option
    https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...-connector-kit

Pretty easy to file a slot in the molded-on plastic tail piece of many skis but its probably not a good thing to file a notch in a fully wrapped metal ski edge like on a twin tip so thats where you need these ^^

I have a some ^^ and they work very well,

the clamps that come on the G3 alpinist skins also work well

WAY back in the day the MEC crew in Vancover would just run a screw into the ski top to loop some 3mm bungy connected to the end of the skin, this was considered pretty core because back then they didnt have tail retention for their 65mm wide skins and G3 didn't exist yet
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-29-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Some contour skins that are sold with skimo-racing style tips come stock with a similar tail clip. I didn't think it was very functional. Contour also sells aftermarket "shark" style fixed hooks https://skimo.co/contour-skin-parts
    He’s talking about mounting the hook ON the ski, and then attaching the tail strap to the hook. I did something similar on some skis 25 yrs ago, worked fine, but I haven’t done that since.

Yes, I was looking to install the hook on the ski. Skis that I lose the tail clip with are rounded full metal edge wrap.

Looks like the G3 twin tip connectors are a very good alternative.

I have the BD clips installed so the clip holds the skin flush with the ski. I also tightened the clip so it's tip is flush with the ski. Still, I managed to lose one. I also lost an alpinist tail clip.

There are 2 ways to put the BD clip on the skin tail, with the clip instaled from the top OR from the bottom of the skin tail, either way will work but I think instaling the clip from the top ( and pointing backwards) so the tail folds back on top of the ski top with the clip on top of the tail is more secure and the tails will last longer than if the tails are just dragging in the snow

but really it sounds like you want the G3 clips for full wrap edges cuz you don't wana file a slot in a full wrap edge or put hooks or screws in a ski when there are better options out there, the G3 clip are very secure, you have to slide the clip off to one side to get them off the ski, I like them

if anyone needs a picture I could do that

I have used coat hanger wire quite a bit for this ...it works. Notching helps as well

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    There are 2 ways to put the BD clip on the skin tail, with the clip instaled from the top OR from the bottom of the skin tail, either way will work but I think instaling the clip from the top ( and pointing backwards) so the tail folds back on top of the ski top with the clip on top of the tail is more secure and the tails will last longer than if the tails are just dragging in the snow

but really it sounds like you want the G3 clips for full wrap edges cuz you don't wana file a slot in a full wrap edge or put hooks or screws in a ski when there are better options out there, the G3 clip are very secure, you have to slide the clip off to one side to get them off the ski, I like them

if anyone needs a picture I could do that
    I would like a picture. My pomoca skins keep sliding off. the only thing that helped was to make sure i didn't have too much tension.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Tail Clip alternatives?

Does anyone still make the Euro style with a fixed tail hook and stretchy tip loop?

Name:  Image1635812470.224307.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  61.9 KB

Oh and never like this

Name:  Image1635812587.161968.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  71.6 KB

Always like this.

Name:  Image1635812597.487466.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  76.3 KB

the 2 ways to mount the BD clip on the tail strap, I just grabbed these for a demo, these BD skins arent usually used on this pair of Lotus

the bottom picture is the preferred way to run the clips IME

I havent seen too much of the rubber stretchers, IME since skis got wide they would get knocked off by the other ski and so I would give them a pass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211102_012849150.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	391224

Name:	PXL_20211102_012758595.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	391229
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-02-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Thread the strap back over the clip in the second picture.

Big Sky Mountain Products has those rubber stretchers. They work fine but can get knocked off. Skimo co is another source.

HOJI hole

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

Name:	PXL_20211102_012758595.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	391229
    Yes this is how I run them. Still losing tail clips.

Buy G3 Twin Tip clips, problem solved.

Hoping this solves the problem

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I like my Pomoca Climb Pros overall but the tail clips suck, especially for twin tips. I kicked them off frequently today on an early season LCC lap using my Bentchetler 120s.

I had ordered G3 twin tip clips earlier, and they showed up this evening. Looks promising, but the purist in me wants to tack down the loose tail strap attachment somehow.

Thoughts? Tiny adhesive magnets? A very small wood screw in the ski and a hole in the Pomoca tail strap?

Name:	A5801E67-ABED-4DB3-968C-75658051B7D9.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	526.1 KB 
ID:	392300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9E7D204-7853-47C2-B1A5-972DECD33773.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	552.4 KB 
ID:	392301

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Does anyone still make the Euro style with a fixed tail hook and stretchy tip loop?
    Hagan offer their rebranded Contour skins with a tip bungee and fixed tail hook: https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...30584014241827

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I like my Pomoca Climb Pros overall but the tail clips suck, especially for twin tips. I kicked them off frequently today on an early season LCC lap using my Bentchetler 120s.

I had ordered G3 twin tip clips earlier, and they showed up this evening. Looks promising, but the purist in me wants to tack down the loose tail strap attachment somehow.

Thoughts? Tiny adhesive magnets? A very small wood screw in the ski and a hole in the Pomoca tail strap?

Name:	A5801E67-ABED-4DB3-968C-75658051B7D9.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	526.1 KB 
ID:	392300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9E7D204-7853-47C2-B1A5-972DECD33773.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	552.4 KB 
ID:	392301
    Is there a reason you didn’t go with the Pomoca twin tip tail hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Is there a reason you didn’t go with the Pomoca twin tip tail hooks?
    Tried to get those at SkiMo first… they were supposed to receive this year’s shipment of them in September, but they still don’t have any in house. Damn supply chain issues.

I've tried just putting a small screw in the top sheet of the ski with head sticking out, and using small bungees attached to the tails of skins I would hook on to the screws; worked just fine!