Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Pretty sure Trab skins are rebranded contour, so your feedback aligns with mine

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post

I've heard that the too steep of a skintrack problem is real in the Wasatch.
    it's only a problem if you're a pussy-ass bitch

or if you're one of those "skimo" types with your fancy "mohair" skins

i guess the two things are really one and the same

(signed, someone who skins on as much mohair as possible. and agreed re: skin wax - but i just use cheap parrafin wax for that, no need to buy the fancy shit)

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I will say that Pomoca's don't glide as well and grip better out of the box, but they have some kind of coating that wears off, making them more glidey. I would choose either Contour over the other skins any day, love the hybrid and glide is good enough. It is strange that Contour's pure mohair has more grip and less glide than other companies mix skins.
    Length and angle of the hair matters. Also, most skins lose some grip and improve glide after you get some time on them.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    it's only a problem if you're a pussy-ass bitch

or if you're one of those "skimo" types with your fancy "mohair" skins

i guess the two things are really one and the same

(signed, someone who skins on as much mohair as possible. and agreed re: skin wax - but i just use cheap parrafin wax for that, no need to buy the fancy shit)
    I know this is tongue and cheek but every time someone makes that argument seriously all I ever think is...huh IFMGA/AMGA/CMGA ski guides must be bitches then
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

LOL funny cause it's true. Never seen more "looking for a single ski because I broke the other" ads than from Fischer skimo skis.[...]
    The initial generation(s?) of this model definitely had a durability problem:
    https://skimo.co/fischer-alpattack
    I think Fischer eventually improved the durability.
    (Or maybe just anyone wasn't a flyweight or who wasn't a really slow skier gave up and moved to different brands!)

This the ski model with the warning not to use it for ... skiing:
    https://skimo.co/fischer-verticalp
    I've used it for only evening crit-format skimo races on groomers, plus some PR attempts on uphill segments. I might also eventually use it for outings that are 99% hiking with a few symbolic late-spring/summer turns.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

The Trab WC Race skins are re-branded Colltex PDG. The Trab non-race skins are Contour.

I find that Contour non-race mohair has less glide than any Pomoca I've been on but grip comparable to a North American skin.

I know this is tongue and cheek but every time someone makes that argument seriously all I ever think is...huh IFMGA/AMGA/CMGA ski guides must be bitches then
    It’s really about efficiency not speed tho…going straight up is faster as long as you can handle the pace. Good for the dawn patrols, bad for being a pussy ass bitch.

Going out for a quick lap or three vs. keeping clients moving all day.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    The Trab WC Race skins are re-branded Colltex PDG. The Trab non-race skins are Contour.[...]
    Heh, we had a big discussion about exactly that same topic at the finish of the A-Basin race last month!
    (Yeah, I know, something only that a bunch of race organizers would find worthy of a discussion.)
    Still my favorite race skin:
    https://skimo.co/ski-trab-race-roll

I find that going straight up is faster for a lap or two, but I get much more tired over a long day. Maybe some kind of slow twitch/fast twitch thing?

It's the same as shifting to appropriate gears when climbing on your bike. Yeah, you can mash along at 40rpm and get to the top while feeling manly, I guess. Or you can downshift, get to the top at the same speed or faster, and have enough energy left for another 2 laps.

I don't often see other tracks where I tour, but if there is a stupid steep skintrack up something that I want to lap (i.e. it isn't just a short section that accesses another zone that is the main objective) I just put in another one at the right angle. More than once I've later passed the people breaking trail at the steep angle.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

There is also an aesthetic element with skin tracks. Both the movement and the track itself is more enjoyable when you climb steadily and avoid going to steep or flat. Extra kick turns are bad too. I followed a real nice one this morning. Respect to whoever set it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Steep skintracks suck, unless that's the only option. They're a waste of energy and not faster, because you can move more quickly up a track that's set at the sweet spot angle.

Definitely on board for lower angle skin tracks. Better for multiple laps, better for not sweating out layers, better for my body to take longer, more natural strides. They also don’t blow out and suck on day three or four after a storm. And lighter, more glidey skins with less maximum grip such as my beloved pinks are just fine on them.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

dont let the wide ski ski tourers/steep skintrack skinners get us all riled up

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Heh, we had a big discussion about exactly that same topic at the finish of the A-Basin race last month!
    (Yeah, I know, something only that a bunch of race organizers would find worthy of a discussion.)
    Still my favorite race skin:
    https://skimo.co/ski-trab-race-roll
    fuk'n nerdz Need to try some Pomoca Race skins to compare the the Trab WC ones I have for my Wovn proto race skis (just hard to drop another $130+ vs the $84+ for the Trab). I also need to get my lazy ass out to the Abay for those races.

Skimo Co has hot pink Pomoca by the cm for about the same price.

Yeah those were both off the roll prices not including shipping or taxes.

-Race 2.0 62mm is 0.43/cm
    -Trab WC 63cm is 0.28/cm

-Trab WC 63cm is 0.28/cm
    Whoah, I hadn't noticed that increase, getting pricey!
    I have some pairs of Pomoca Race Pro 2.0 55cm from rolls bought in Europe. Aside from the narrower width, nothing about them seems special.

I’m in
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5922.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	402106

@Lee Murian, great photo!

Has anyone gotten the chance to use the Pierre Gignoux Mountain boots? Trying to decide if its worth the mega $$ to try em out, and there is no info online apart from the wildsnow review

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    I’m in[...]
    Oooh, love the matching textures in that picture, nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Has anyone gotten the chance to use the Pierre Gignoux Mountain boots? Trying to decide if its worth the mega $$ to try em out, and there is no info online apart from the wildsnow review
    I'm a big fan overall of PG, but I'm a skeptic of those boots -- just seems to be trying to make a full-carbon boot into something it's inherently not.

I mean, the baseline PG race boot has benefitted from a long history of refinement. The Pro version adds an internal forefoot tightening mechanism linked to the walk/ski lever that a ski buddy raves about. The Black version adds a little more versatility that impressed me when I mounted up one for a racer, and at a trivial weight penalty.

But the Mountain is getting into the weight territory of race boots with carbon upper cuff + plastic lower (1.1, Raceborg, new Dynafit model), yet the price of a full carbon boot, and the fit problems of a full carbon boots.

-Trab WC 63cm is 0.28/cm
    Cripple Creek has the Race 2.0 62mm for $29/meter. https://cripplecreekbc.com/collectio...l-by-the-meter