Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Anyone want to recommend a nice 95ish waisted ski that is good on firm snow but not terrible in pow? I'm looking for something lighter but durable, so 1.4 kg in a 185 cm would be acceptable. I've had some issues with ultralight skis decambering fairly fast.

The ones in this category seem to be MTN Explore, Zero G, Wayback, Hannibal, and the boutique euro brands which I'm less familiar with. Opinions?
    Shameless plug, but I have a pair of 182 UL Praxis Yetis for sale in GS that may fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G988U using TGR Forums mobile app

Broke the boa cable on my Alien RS boots. Fortunately I have a pair of F1 LTs with the same BSL since I have a skimo race next weekend. Assuming I can order a new cable from Scarpa, is this replaceable by mere mortals? Looks like I’ll need a small Torx driver to get the dial off?

Aren’t all boa cables repairable? I’ve repaired/replaced two on assorted mountain bike shoes.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

https://store.boafit.com/en-us/warranty

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Broke the boa cable on my Alien RS boots. Fortunately I have a pair of F1 LTs with the same BSL since I have a skimo race next weekend. Assuming I can order a new cable from Scarpa, is this replaceable by mere mortals? Looks like I’ll need a small Torx driver to get the dial off?
    My recollection is that:
    1. This was a frequent problem with the earlier production of that model.
    2. Scarpa was replacing it for free.
    3. Replacing it yourself is tricky b/c of the diameters involved.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Volkl Rise Above 88 in 170 is tempting at $425 US... https://www.corbetts.com/2022-volkl-rise-above-88-skis/

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Volkl Rise Above 88 in 170 is tempting at $425 US... https://www.corbetts.com/2022-volkl-rise-above-88-skis/
    Backland 78 (non-UL version) for CAD250 for anyone looking to try out skimo or a solid sping mission ski on the same site.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Great deal. I skied the non-UL 78s last year for 65 days and loved them. Only complaint was the short radius on the 163.

Yeah I had the Backland Descenders which I think is still the same ski, like 1200g in the 170. Great ski, I just didn’t like being locked into pendulum turns with the short radius.

I am lazy (or inflexible?) and don't like to have to bend over and grab the heelpiece by hand to switch between riser modes. For this reason, I don't really like my ATK RT 2.0 bindings.

What are some of the lighter bindings out there that can be fully actuated by poles? G3 zed? I mostly like my Ions on my winter setup.

Pole switching between ski mode, low, med, high risers (like Ions) would be great.
    Pole switching between ski mode, med, and high risers would be acceptable.
    Pole switching between only ski mode and medium riser like my RT 2.0s doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I am lazy (or inflexible?) and don't like to have to bend over and grab the heelpiece by hand to switch between riser modes. For this reason, I don't really like my ATK RT 2.0 bindings.

What are some of the lighter bindings out there that can be fully actuated by poles? G3 zed? I mostly like my Ions on my winter setup.

Pole switching between ski mode, low, med, high risers (like Ions) would be great.
    Pole switching between ski mode, med, and high risers would be acceptable.
    Pole switching between only ski mode and medium riser like my RT 2.0s doesn't work for me.
    Salomon MTN and ATK Raider both have 2 riser heights that you can use your pole to flip directly over the heel pins without ever rotating the heel piece. I believe the MTN is slightly lighter (brakeless version) but the ATK risers are magnetized and much easier to operate. Both are lighter than the Zed.

Alpinist heels can be turned with the pole. And of course the Dynafit Speed Turn.

I have older Raiders, new C Raiders, and MTNs. Without brakes the C Raiders are the lightest, but only by like 20g or so. But their heel risers are awesome (same as the normal Raiders). Only thing that might be better on the MTNs is they are probably a bit easier to step into the toe, with the little toe stopper assist thing-a-ma-jig. And they're cheaper I think.

I just ordered some Hagan Boost 93 x 184 for a screaming deal (Hagan hooked it up!) and some ATK Trofeo Plus 10 bindings from Telemark-Pyrenees that I'll report back on after a few volcanos.

Anyone tried the Pomoca Race Pro Grip skins in warm weather? Had a race last weekend in slushy conditions (late afternoon, 50F temps), on the steeper climbs I was having to paperboy to avoid slipping. Wondering if grippier skins would help. I was running Colltex PDGs.

Can anyone recommend a touring pack in the ~35 liter size that fits long torsos well? I have a cirque 35 in size M/L and the back is I think too short for me. Touring with it makes my back and shoulders uncomfortable quickly. I have a REI flash 55 backpacking pack in L that fits great and is painless even with heavier loads and long days. I'm fine with no airbag. Good ski carry and axe carry options is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
    Can anyone recommend a touring pack in the ~35 liter size that fits long torsos well? I have a cirque 35 in size M/L and the back is I think too short for me. Touring with it makes my back and shoulders uncomfortable quickly. I have a REI flash 55 backpacking pack in L that fits great and is painless even with heavier loads and long days. I'm fine with no airbag. Good ski carry and axe carry options is a plus.
    I have an 18.5" torso which is usually a medium or S/M and the BD M/L packs fit me, which makes me think they run small. The Cirque shoulder straps are also super thin and barely padded so that could contribute to the discomfort. Mystery Ranch makes L/XL size packs which are huge but not skinny ski style.

Exped has nice roll-top options in a variety of sizes. I'm using the Black Ice 30 as my ski pack this year and last.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I have an 18.5" torso which is usually a medium or S/M and the BD M/L packs fit me, which makes me think they run small. The Cirque shoulder straps are also super thin and barely padded so that could contribute to the discomfort. Mystery Ranch makes L/XL size packs which are huge but not skinny ski style.
    MR is one I hadn't looked at yet, thanks. And apparently they have a custom sizing program too, presumably for $$$$. At this point I'm game to give up some ounces on my back for a comfortable fit. Exped looks interesting as well. Probably the smart move is going somewhere that has some of these packs and just trying them on.

The TGR Skinny Ski Ski Tourers' Refuge Thread

Probably the smart move is going somewhere that has some of these packs and just trying them on.
    Yes, good probability that anyone carrying MR will have staff that’s trained in pack fitting that will help get you fit right, which is worth pounds IMO

Last edited by dub_xion; 04-07-2022 at 12:32 PM.

MR is one I hadn't looked at yet, thanks. And apparently they have a custom sizing program too, presumably for $$$$. At this point I'm game to give up some ounces on my back for a comfortable fit. Exped looks interesting as well. Probably the smart move is going somewhere that has some of these packs and just trying them on.
    Its hard to find a good place to try on a bunch of touring packs in the same spot. My favorite current offerings are the Mammut Spindrift and Blue Ice Firecrest and I don't know of any brick and mortar shops selling those. I know Skimo Co and many other retailers offer free returns, life is a lot easier when you just order 7 or 8 things and just return all but one.

The best touring pack I've ever used is the current MR in terms of fit and functionality. It is heavy though, and not super simple so YMMV

Cross posting here from the Dalbello thread:

I'm considering the Quantum Asolo Factory or Quantum Lite to replace a pair of Alien 1.0 boots.

Reason I want to switch is the Alien rubs the ankle bone on the inside of the ankle on both my feet. It gets quite sensitive and bruised. I read the review here https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...-asolo-factory which says the liner is relatively thick around the ankle and leg which I am hoping would help me.

I wear a 26.0 Alien 1.0(I couldn't make a 25.0 shell fit work on a Alien RS) and used to wear a 25.5 Sportiva Sytron.
    Hearing all the feedback about sizing I figure the 26.5 would be the correct size to try first.

I'm looking to have the same downhill performance as the Alien 1.0 with more comfort and willing to sacrifice a little weight. I'd like to keep uphill performance as good as possible other than the added 200g.

Any feedback on the Lite version? Does it lose downhill performance? Is the liner too thin, reducing comfort?

It seems as though the QLS has seen some durability issues, how difficult is it to get replacement parts and the cost for those? I'm used to free replacement BOA laces and am comfortable replacing them.

I also considered the F1 LT, but I don't care for the velcro closure on the F1 and also just saw some complaints for the same issue I have on the Alien 1.0 here: https://skimo.co/scarpa-f1-lt-boots

I tried on the Quantum Asolo Factor, felt like the liner was pretty thin, standard for boots in this class. The QAF I think is the lightest "touring boot" currently available, as in not marketed towards skimo racing. Lots of people here said that they run small and are short. I felt like the 27.5 was long enough for me, and I'm 27.5 in every brand (some brands like Scarpa are too short for me in 27.5). I ultimately passed on them because they have a pretty soft flex and too much volume in the heel. You could probably take up some heel volume with a thicker liner, and folks in the Dalbello thread have had success doing that. If I find a cheap late season QAF deal I might get on it because I like the race-style transitions, super light weight and acceptable fit.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    I also considered the F1 LT, but I don't care for the velcro closure on the F1 and also just saw some complaints for the same issue I have on the Alien 1.0 here: https://skimo.co/scarpa-f1-lt-boots
    Can't comment on the ankle fit (I haven't noticed an issue there but everyone is different) but for the velcro strap issue frorider's invention might be of interest:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...19#post6513719
    https://www.wildsnow.com/30991/elega...-the-strapoff/