Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I skied the Backland 85 UL last night for the first time and it was a blast exactly as I expected. They are so easy to ski. Maybe more sidecut than you're looking for, but idrk. I don't think about that stuff. Non-UL backland 85 is in that 1300g range if you want the bulk. Softer than the blacklights for sure.

You might also like/try the second-tier Ski Trab skis like the Stelvio (85mm) that are more weight, lower $$ but same shape. IDK about sidecut necessarily, but defintely slower turning.

Anybody here skied an armada tracer 88? Looking for a lighter/skinnier line vision 98 style ski (need not be as easy going), but can't find anything about the mount point.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Anybody here skied an armada tracer 88? Looking for a lighter/skinnier line vision 98 style ski (need not be as easy going), but can't find anything about the mount point.
    I don't think its gonna live up to your expectations. I fondled one in a shop (2019 version), it measured around 83mm wide at the waist, and it has a much more traditional mount, as all skinny touring skis do. It is softer than most skinny skis, so it is more forgiving and flickable than average but not to the same degree as the Vision. I had the 2019 Tracer 98 and it is soft and forgiving but very directional. Other softer, more "playful" skinny skis (relative term) are the Atomic Backland 85 and Voile Objective

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Wayback sounds a lot like what you want. Surfy feel but still holds on firm and pretty light.
    GF digs her 96 Waybacks. 1200 g on my scale as I recall for her 170s. Her go-to spring ski, good edge hold and generally predictable in weird snow. If my Camox freebirds get stolen the wayback would be on my list.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Was the 2019 the slightly longer radius version? I've got the 2018 and it's super soft. Mount is -6.5 though so about as forward as these types of skis get. The other tracers in the line are like -10 though.

Just checked, I was talking about the 2020 version. Just looked at the new version and it looks pretty appealing.. 20.5m radius in 172 is one of the longest sidecuts available for a sub-90mm wide ski, good prices available, and the white color is sweet

^yeah the price is what got me looking at it. Hopefully the 182 skis short, but if the mount point is actually -6.5 it's maybe worth a shot??

But maybe the backland 85 UL is actually what i am looking for

I have some new MTN Explore 88's in 178 I'd sell for $350 shipped if anyone is interested.

The newer longer radius version of the tracer is intriguing. Longer radius and stiffer than the older version looks nice.
    These are going cheap since they are being replaced with the Locator series next year. The teaser says deep, low rocker which would be awesome if combined with a slightly more forward mount for my shitty skiing self. I find that mount point better for getting the tips around and staying balanced in sketchy hop turns. I've tried mounting forward on other skis but then with my very short boot length I've had the sidecut and larger amounts of camber under my heel. To say it feels wrong is an understatement.

For the 88 the specs all line up with the tracer 88 which had a different build from the rest of the tracer series. I'm wondering if they just rebranded that version. Awaiting the rocker photos from somewhere, else I'm getting the tracer 88 as a more peak bagging ski as the $400 price is way more tolerable than $1000+ for the Moonlight skis Benneke10 had me gushing over. That's just too much for a sight unseen/no demo ski for my taste

To be clear I have absolutely no experience with Moonlight I’m just curious. The Tracer 88 does look like it could potentially be a poor man’s Moonlight Mission, very similar specs to the 50/50 layup version and I like that the Armada comes in a 172

But we haven't determined a mount point? Maybe i should just order a pair at 300 euros and report back. I even have an extra pair of alpinists somewhere that should be mounted on something

Anyone have any thoughts on the Scarpa F1 LT vs the La Sportiva Skorpius CR? They seem like two of the best options in the "light but not a skimo boot" category. The F1 is obviously a bit lighter, but I've heard the Skorpius may ski a bit better. Is there a noticeable difference in downhill quality? Is it enough to warrant a 200 g weight penalty? For reference, I'm 5'10", 165 lb and like to ski steep, committing terrain in variable conditions. I would be using the boots with Blizzard Zero G 85s and Hagan Boost 94s for ski mountaineering objectives and long traverses

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb McHardman View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Scarpa F1 LT vs the La Sportiva Skorpius CR? They seem like two of the best options in the "light but not a skimo boot" category. The F1 is obviously a bit lighter, but I've heard the Skorpius may ski a bit better. Is there a noticeable difference in downhill quality? Is it enough to warrant a 200 g weight penalty? For reference, I'm 5'10", 165 lb and like to ski steep, committing terrain in variable conditions. I would be using the boots with Blizzard Zero G 85s and Hagan Boost 94s for ski mountaineering objectives and long traverses
    I have owned both, sold the F1 LTs and ski the Skorp exclusively. Scarpas are a little lighter and walk better, but the Skorp fits me a lot better with a tighter midfoot, tighter heel pocket and wider forefoot. The Skorp also has a more progressive flex (prob due to the tongue, which also makes to walk worse). Also the weight difference with stock liners was less than 100g for a 28 F1 LT and 27.5 Skorp (~1100g vs 1200g, I guess I got a heavier pair of scarpas).

From everything I’ve read, Skorps can handle just about any width of ski, whereas people skiing the F1 LT on wider (like 100mm+??) feel they’re pushing its limits and keep it to soft snow on wider skis.

Still sussing out my Skorps, but plan on using them for anywhere from 90-122mm skis and not really concerned at all (for bc-only use)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    From everything I’ve read, Skorps can handle just about any width of ski, whereas people skiing the F1 LT on wider (like 100mm+??) feel they’re pushing its limits and keep it to soft snow on wider skis.

Still sussing out my Skorps, but plan on using them for anywhere from 90-122mm skis and not really concerned at all (for bc-only use)

Yeah, honestly, they really are different classes of boots. Skorps ski as well as you could realistically want from a touring boot (for my weight and ski ability level anyway), while F1LTs are great-skiing weight weenie boots. No experience with the F1LT but plenty of time (50+ days) on the Alien RS - I love the Alien but would only ski it on sub 100mm skis, and even then, on soft snow. On the other hand, the Skorp is a solid go-anywhere, do-anything boot.

Put another way: the Skorp is a lightweight, highly walkable freeride boot, the F1LT is a race+/speedtour boot that skis well for it's weight class.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I ski the skorpius almost exclusively as well, but would refrain from calling it a freeride boot. It's certainly a step up in ski ability from a pair of Fischer travers i have, but there's a very noticeable speed limit. However, i have been able to ski fairly large skis with them in good conditions. This doesn't work in poor conditions, for me at least. I struggled to get mine to fit and had some warranty issues, but now i love mine.

I'd echo that. I have skiied: LS Spectre 2.0, ZGTP Scout, Skorpius. Skorpius skis better than the Spectre and walks better (which already walked well). ZGTP doesn't walk nearly as well, but with a tour wrap it skis like a real downhill boot. There's a pretty significant difference between them, in my opinion. Not to say that you can't ski big skis in the Skorpius, but I find myself skiing differently between the two boots. For getting airborne, the ZGTP is the way to be.

Not that I think anyone is arguing that, just wouldn't call the Skorp a freeride boot compared to the full spectrum of boots out there.

Thanks for all the input--very helpful. I have other boots (Fischer Ranger Free 130 and ZGT Scout with Tour Wrap) for my bigger skis, so I'm not worried about how this boot will work with anything larger than a 95 waist. I guess what I'm asking is if the F1 is enough boot to enjoyably ski steep, firm snow with relatively skinny and light skis. Clearly a subjective question, but I'm interested in folks experiences

Thanks for all the input--very helpful. I have other boots (Fischer Ranger Free 130 and ZGT Scout with Tour Wrap) for my bigger skis, so I'm not worried about how this boot will work with anything larger than a 95 waist. I guess what I'm asking is if the F1 is enough boot to enjoyably ski steep, firm snow with relatively skinny and light skis. Clearly a subjective question, but I'm interested in folks experiences
    I just bought a pair and do not like the forward lean. May take some time to get used to it. But the boot can perform as you asked.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Not that I think anyone is arguing that, just wouldn't call the Skorp a freeride boot compared to the full spectrum of boots out there.
    Nah, this is fair.

I'm also 150lbs and I don't drive the shovels hard usually, so for me, the Skorp does everything I need an aggressive/heavier boot to do.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I’m late to the party but agree with the comparisons here. I’m 180#, and own both the F1LT and Skorp. Skorps are only a bit over 100gr heavier, walk nearly as well, and ski substantially better. Also, no Boa or gaiter to fail on the skorps. I thought I’d keep using my F1LTs occasionally, but turns out not.

Gravity always wins...

Have skied the F1's with Dynastar vertical eagles. Very light ski and 170cm. It's a nice set-up I wouldn't hesitate to ski in steep / challenging conditions given soft snow. On frozen, light and short aren't going to give you love so I keep conditions in mind. Volcano trips are their rightful niche.

PSA: Alien RS 27.0 for $220, they look like excellent condition if they've been used at all https://lonepinegearx.com/collection...ski-boot-c739c

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    PSA: Alien RS 27.0 for $220, they look like excellent condition if they've been used at all https://lonepinegearx.com/collection...ski-boot-c739c
    Nice. I picked them up. Figured I can pass them on if they don't work out