Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Does anyone regularly tour on genuine race bindings? I'm talking <110g bindings like the Plum R99, the ATK World Cups (Revolution or SL), Dynafit/PG or Low Techs, etc.

Wondering if they have durability or usability problems.

No flat mode, and Ti U-springs are not durable. I have ATK WC SL on a set of smaller skis, but I wouldn't use them daily.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I never need flat mode in any context, so that is not a concern with full-on race bindings.
    Ti heel pin notching though is definitely a drawback. But the new ATK heel pins solve that problem. I would love to use my Hagan-branded race bindings on all my touring setups.
    The Dynafit race heel pins are very short. The prior generation thought, before adopting the PG heel, was all metal, and with steel pins swapped in, I've been using them for touring.
    Plum R99 definitely not for touring! (The regular Plum race design, definitely yes.)

Huh. Most of my ski days start and end with 2-3 miles of flat walking. The tiny rise of the race bindings is tolerable with Alien RS, but I'd really like a flat mode and would use those skis a lot more with it.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Huh. Most of my ski days start and end with 2-3 miles of flat walking. The tiny rise of the race bindings is tolerable with Alien RS, but I'd really like a flat mode and would use those skis a lot more with it.
    Okay, for nordic-esque approaches that long, then sure, a flat mode would be helpful.
    Setting up an ATK race binding on a plate with a bit more of a heel gap would accommodate that.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Jonathan S. has way more race binding experience than me and he has already replied so this is probably superfluous.

I "regularly" tour a handful of days per season on Trab TR Race adjustable bindings (I think they are ~140g each by memory) and they seem fine and basically the same as Kreuzspitze GT that I spend most days on. The lateral release is a bit soft on mine so I need to be careful on jump turns. Skiing down on rando sticks I never notice a difference. Are they as durable as Speed Radicals? Probably not.

Cirquescaler and I both both released more easily than we would have liked on Gara Titans with 4.5mm steel springs (same heel as TR Race I believe) on 90mm-ish wide skis so he's trying to find something more reliable but just as light. I've tried some other race bindings but haven't used them enough to have an opinion. I'm happy to carry the extra weight of the Titan Vario (original version on ATK race heel plates) for more reliability, but if I found a cheap pair of Sl World Cups I'd run them on my touring skis.

I’m looking to replace some older dynafit radical 1.0 bindings. Nothing wrong with them, I’m just becoming suspect of 10 year old bindings. I’m looking through options, but am curious if dynafit ski crampons fit in Atk/black diamond bindings? Or any others for that matter. Saving 100 bucks on ski crampons s could make it worth it to stick with dynafit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    I’m looking to replace some older dynafit radical 1.0 bindings. Nothing wrong with them, I’m just becoming suspect of 10 year old bindings. I’m looking through options, but am curious if dynafit ski crampons fit in Atk/black diamond bindings? Or any others for that matter. Saving 100 bucks on ski crampons s could make it worth it to stick with dynafit.

I've gotten Dynafit ski crampons to work with ATK Raider 12/Hagan Core 12 bindings. Took a bit of effort to get the crampons in the first time, but they slide in and out easily enough now

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post

Atk/BD should be fine.

Chart here is useful: https://skimo.co/ski-crampon-compatibility

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Atk/BD should be fine.

Chart here is useful: https://skimo.co/ski-crampon-compatibility

I guess I should have googled that first. I’m somehow not surprised this article exists, but surprised it wasn’t on wild snow.

Some pretty solid deals on Steep and Cheap right now

La Sportiva Skorpius for $400 in 25, 26 and 27

G3 skins 60% off (crappy I know but hard to beat mohair skins for $80)

A bunch of Black Crows skis for 50% off including the Solis

Scarpa Aliens for $280 in 24 and 26

Also now that the dollar is worth more than the euro there are some great deals from euro retailers right now

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    [...]G3 skins 60% off (crappy I know but hard to beat mohair skins for $80)[...]
    I have a few pairs of new-old-stock Dynafit momix skins that I can sell for that price.
    I bought a batch of a shop's leftover Dynafit skins for the race models, and ended up with the touring models also.
    They're just rebranded Pomoca momix with a rubber tip, like these:
    https://skimo.co/dynafit-climbing-skins
    Also have a basic tail hook, which you can easily cut off with a pair of scissors if the skin is a bit too short for your ski length.
    I've set up a bunch of these previously on other skis, and they're easy to trim, just like a trim-to-fit skin.
    You can email me your ski dimensions and I'll see what might be a good match.
    (Although I won't be flying home from this ski trip until Friday.)

Some pretty solid deals on Steep and Cheap right now

La Sportiva Skorpius for $400 in 25, 26 and 27

G3 skins 60% off (crappy I know but hard to beat mohair skins for $80)

A bunch of Black Crows skis for 50% off including the Solis

Scarpa Aliens for $280 in 24 and 26

Also now that the dollar is worth more than the euro there are some great deals from euro retailers right now
    Just adding that some of these have the same prices through backcountry with free shipping. I never understood why they keep both sites going if they mirror the prices.

Also activejunkey has 10% on S&C, 8% on BC so might as well stack those up.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Just adding that some of these have the same prices through backcountry with free shipping. I never understood why they keep both sites going if they mirror the prices.

Also activejunkey has 10% on S&C, 8% on BC so might as well stack those up.
    Many times I have set up a spreadsheet to determine whether BC or SAC offered the better bottomline price including shipping and Active Junky!

Meanwhile, bunch of "spring" cleaning weight-conscious gear now posted for sale here (in addition to the previously posted Dynafit momix skins):
    https://nerandorace.blogspot.com/p/gear-swap.html

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Anyone want to recommend a nice 95ish waisted ski that is good on firm snow but not terrible in pow? I'm looking for something lighter but durable, so 1.4 kg in a 185 cm would be acceptable. I've had some issues with ultralight skis decambering fairly fast.

The ones in this category seem to be MTN Explore, Zero G, Wayback, Hannibal, and the boutique euro brands which I'm less familiar with. Opinions?
    Elan Ibex 84/94, even better if it's the carbon xlt version
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Elan Ibex 84/94, even better if it's the carbon xlt version
    Maybe add Volkl Rise 96 to the list, I haven’t skied it but have 90eight that ski well for a lighter ski.

From Skimoco-

You are totally correct, the Volkl Rise Beyond 96 has been flying under the radar. The 3D sidecut makes these skis friendly to a wide range of skiers. They are surfy in powder, while still being good fun on corduroy, and surprisingly damp for their weight. Based on your ski history, this would be a great option.

I love Volkls enough that I started the “all things Volkl” thread here. I love the BMT, V Werks Katana and XXeight skis in backcountry conditions, but I didn’t like the Rise Beyond. The tails are way too locked in for wild snow, they are very fun on piste though

I love Volkls enough that I started the “all things Volkl” thread here. I love the BMT, V Werks Katana and XXeight skis in backcountry conditions, but I didn’t like the Rise Beyond. The tails are way too locked in for wild snow, they are very fun on piste though
    Never mind then!

Any recommendations for a mid-winter ski in the ~105 range that’s around 1500g? I’m looking to replace my Armada Tracer 108s in 180cm for something lighter. My daily driver is the MTN Explore 95 but they aren’t as fun in powder. wider skis are more fun. I’m mostly touring on the Eastern Sierras. I was looking at the Wayback 106 and Backland 107 since last seasons models were on sale. Ideally something light but damp enough to handle variable conditions.

I've been enjoying the Dynafit Beast 108. Mine come in lighter than spec, and many on this site report the same. My 173's were just under 1500g per ski. I am very impressed at how damp and stable they are at high speeds. Long-ish radius and minimal camber make them ideal for negotiating challenging snow and pivoting easily. There is a Beast 108 thread with more info. The shape and weight is pretty similar to the Wayback 106, but I haven't tried those.

Anybody have experience with atomic backland ul 78’s? I suppose they ski like they weigh 900g, but I found a good deal and already have skins and bindings that would work. I’d mainly use them for long range spring tours where cutting weight matters. Thanks!

Gravity always wins...

I am also interested in hearing opinions about the Backland UL 78s, but getting more excited about the Dynafit Blacklight Pro (80mm waist) but hard to find many reviews of them.

Anyone have opinions of the Blacklight Pros and especially the Pin Skin system?

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Anybody here skied an armada tracer 88? Looking for a lighter/skinnier line vision 98 style ski (need not be as easy going), but can't find anything about the mount point.
    Circling back to this, i found backland 85 ULs super cheap in 179. Am i crazy to consider mounting a cm or two forward of the line? Just overthinking and go on the line?