Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Doesn't the Vulcan fit like the TLT 6? The TLT 6 to Alien RS or F1 LT pipeline is well-established.

^^^ TLT5 was pretty low volume, which was unheard of for touring boots at the time. IIRC the TLT 6 started out just a bit roomier, but fit changed at some point to become quite boxy. They changed the plastic used in the boot (from Grilamid to Pebax?) and the fit changed as well. I tried them on years apart, but I think the fit on the TLT5 and Alien RS is fairly similar.

Any thoughts on the helio 88? Got a good deal on a pair, wondering if theres consensus versus zero g 85, and the new cirque models. Its fairly heavy at 1350g a ski for the 178, but hoping its kind of a middle ground for light big day stuff and variable conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Any thoughts on the helio 88? Got a good deal on a pair, wondering if theres consensus versus zero g 85, and the new cirque models. Its fairly heavy at 1350g a ski for the 178, but hoping its kind of a middle ground for light big day stuff and variable conditions.
    I've got a small female friend who has rocked them for a couple years with Helio 145. Very happy and no issues, she doesn't seem to feel that they're "too skimo" but that would make sense with the weight in comparison to the ZG85. Seems like the Cirque 84 is more in line with the ZG85, but even a little more "lightened"

PSA:

Brand new Dynafit low tech race for $330

https://www.geartrade.com/item/75304...h-race-binding
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    ^^^ TLT5 was pretty low volume, which was unheard of for touring boots at the time. IIRC the TLT 6 started out just a bit roomier, but fit changed at some point to become quite boxy. They changed the plastic used in the boot (from Grilamid to Pebax?) and the fit changed as well. I tried them on years apart, but I think the fit on the TLT5 and Alien RS is fairly similar.
    Correct on TLT5, and also on the add'l roominess for the TLT6.
    The boxy fit was introduced on the TLT7, and continued into the TLT8.
    (Same fit on the PDG2, which adopted the TLT7 lower shell, and hence was totally unlike the first three versions of the PDG.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    PSA:

Brand new Dynafit low tech race for $330

https://www.geartrade.com/item/75304...h-race-binding
    Wow, that's been sitting around for something like half-a-decade after being discontinued!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Does anyone have any time skiing Hagan Boost 94s? I have a pair on order and am waiting patiently for stock to come in. I know those aren't really in the lightweight category but I'm working my way lighter and lighter and want a spring PNW volcano/corn ski.

Would they pair well with Backland carbon boots? My alternative would be Hawx XTDs.

Benneke picked up some stuff from the ski shop on our way home from skiing today. I felt compelled to take a picture of the trunk:

Name:  mCHe0sT.png
Views: 1230
Size:  668.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    Does anyone have any time skiing Hagan Boost 94s? I have a pair on order and am waiting patiently for stock to come in. I know those aren't really in the lightweight category but I'm working my way lighter and lighter and want a spring PNW volcano/corn ski.

Would they pair well with Backland carbon boots? My alternative would be Hawx XTDs.
    I have the Boost 99s (2 pairs actually... hoarding problems) and I ski em with Roxa RX Tours and Hawx XTD and they are fun with both boots. I just got some F1 LT's and expect them to drive the Boosts comfortably, they don't require a ton of input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post

Yes, I'm on a pair 176 length, paired with Maestrale. Love them for inbounds use. I use them rarely for touring but on occasion. This is my second year on them.

Thanks Benneke10 and timmaio! I’m excited to get out on lighter skis, good to hear you two have had good luck with the Boosts.

Has anyone seen the new Alien 1.0? It appears the Gaiter fabric has been changed. I'd love to know if it is an improvement(It seems to be a weak point on current. I have repaired minor holes and stitching on mine after 1 season of use)

Any interest in a pair of lightly used Movement Session-X skis (1155gr/ski) with Kreuzspitze EL bindings (242gr/ski)? They are 177cm, 128-89-116, mounted at the line for 303 BSL.

I will sell them cheap -- would prefer a local handoff in the Denver/Boulder area, but will ship if necessary. This is a very light, all-around setup, but it just didn't jibe with me. The skis are highly rated, as seen in the reviews on skimo, so maybe someone else will find the magic.

https://skimo.co/movement-session-x-skis

https://skimo.co/kreuzspitze-el-bindings

I'll post some pics if there is any interest. I'll also throw in a pair of the lighter weight G3 skins trimmed to fit (can't remember the model name).

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Any interest in a pair of lightly used Movement Session-X skis (1155gr/ski) with Kreuzspitze EL bindings (242gr/ski)? They are 177cm, 128-89-116, mounted at the line for 303 BSL.

I will sell them cheap -- would prefer a local handoff in the Denver/Boulder area, but will ship if necessary. This is a very light, all-around setup, but it just didn't jibe with me. The skis are highly rated, as seen in the reviews on skimo, so maybe someone else will find the magic.

I'll post some pics if there is any interest. I'll also throw in a pair of the lighter weight G3 skins trimmed to fit (can't remember the model name).
    Dang, I'd be super keen on these. What are you thinking of asking for them?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I'm local and have been roped into training for the GT this year. My current plan was Praxis Yetis with Speed Radicals..but that's like 2100g / setup.

And if I bitch out by mid-Jan I can hand them off to tgapp.

(But seriously, tgapp has dibs and I'll even ship them his way for ya if you don't wanna fuck with it)

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm local and have been roped into training for the GT this year. My current plan was Praxis Yetis with Speed Radicals..but that's like 2100g / setup.

And if I bitch out by mid-Jan I can hand them off to tgapp.

(But seriously, tgapp has dibs and I'll even ship them his way for ya if you don't wanna fuck with it)
    Sell 'em to doebedoe, he needs them more than I do .

You can go fast on these feather planks or have a good time on your yetis. IMO it’s the best “light weight” ski on the market. Im sure most guys in this thread would say it’s a pig. But the praxis yeti is just a great ski. I gave up on super light skis because they ski like shit. The yeti is a great compromise. Light enough to go uphill, but still absolutely shred. And the “mangetraction” like side cut is awesome on steep ice, plus they ski pow and ultra variable conditions better than any ski discussed in this thread. Make your suffer fest fun!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Nice thread idea. Everybody has a different definition of what skinny/light is. I am not on the extreme end of the spectrum.

My skinny skis are:
    G3 Zenoxide 88 x 180 - rock/beater touring skis at the moment, but still snappy and a lot of fun. Traditional camber with tip rocker to keep them fun if it gets manky.
    K2 Wayback 94 x 177 - 2nd pair of these, really light but nice and stiff. Better shape for deep powder or mank with the tip and tail rocker. Surprisingly surfy for a smaller ski.

Both are mounted with Dynafit speed turn 2's, which is not ultralight by today's standards but has never given me trouble. I'm thinking of swapping the heels on the waybacks for a race style heel on an adjustment track. I like having adjustment on my skis. Typically I ski these with Backland carbon boots, which is a good pairing. But sometimes I'll use my more freeridey boots (Salomon Explore) which just offer so much more control at the cost of touring. The skinny skis mostly get used for mountaineering days with lots of vert or distance, traverses, or linkups. I've brought them to Chile on different trips, too, and it worked great.

For comparison, my midwinter/pow touring setup is Voile Supercharger 184 mounted with Radical 2's. These only get skied with the bigger boots. I really like the elasticity of the binding and don't mind taking a few laps inbounds with these if doing sidecountry stuff. I think next pow ski I get I will aim to go a little lighter, maybe the Hypercharger. I'm real curious to try the more elastic race-style binding systems like those made by ATK or Trab that offer some heel elasticity in an ultralight package. It seems like I can save a lot of weight over the Radical 2 without losing too much performance/release reliability.

Here in Washington with deep and often not-so-light powder, it's hard for me to see using a superlight boot and ski on those deep days. Having width on the ski and stiffness in the boot just seems necessary to make the riding fun. If I were in a dryer or shallower snowpack, I'd probably have narrower everyday touring skis.

Oh! and my wife rocks the K2 Wayback 80 as her skinny ski, with Plum race heels & Dynafit toes. She likes how it turns, especially in corn. Pow & funk can be challenging, as you'd expect!

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Dang, I'd be super keen on these. What are you thinking of asking for them?

How about $400, plus shipping? I'll try to get photos up tomorrow, but the bases are in excellent shape. The skins are G3 Alpinist LT, so a bit lighter and more compact than most other skins; the glue is still OK, but it is G3 glue, so it's a bit glomulated.

How about $400, plus shipping? I'll try to get photos up tomorrow, but the bases are in excellent shape. The skins are G3 Alpinist LT, so a bit lighter and more compact than most other skins; the glue is still OK, but it is G3 glue, so it's a bit glomulated.
    goddamn that is a killer deal, for a pair of skis I've wanted to try forever

...sell 'em to doebedoe though, he's a solid mag and deserves to actually have a semblance of fun on the GT

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    goddamn that is a killer deal, for a pair of skis I've wanted to try forever

...sell 'em to doebedoe though, he's a solid mag and deserves to actually have a semblance of fun on the GT

I don't think you have fun on GT. it's just trying to ensure make it more type 2 rather than type 3.

Andy m -- I'll PM you.

If I weasel out of GT by mid Jan -- I'll hand off to tgapp .

Quiver of one for me, primarily used in the powdery VT woods but also resort laps of all sorts and spring steeps.

Voile Hyper V6 173cm
    Plum Race 170
    Fischer Travers Carbon
    Voile/Pomoca skins
    Ski Trab Maestro non-adjustable poles

I love the setup. The Hyper V6 is so light I can't justify anything skinnier, though I am tempted to get something in the 80-85 range for my occasional all day point to point sufferfests. I much prefer them to my old BD Link 95s in 180, which surfed well but weren't very nimble for scrappy BC skiing. I like the Fischers way better that my old F1s, the range of motion is much better, they transition much faster, and they ski only a little worse. The Plums are beautiful, exactly what I need and nothing I don't. One riser is all you need! I am happy with fixed length 125cm poles with a extended grip for choking up. The aluminum Ski Trabs are light, strong, and cheap, and have a nordic style pole strap so they naturally run under your thumb as god intended.